16.67%
1 16.67%
3 Dirty Socks
83.33%
5 83.33%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

SHAMY WARNING: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation
Well, I have not seen the interview yet, but (by that what I am reading on this Threat-please correct me if I am wrong) it seems that “TBBT” now belongs to the series where the Creator lost control over his work.
I remember a lot of series from different genres where, by time, the original concept was increasingly distorted so that you could no longer recognize the end.

A good example is ‘Seaquest DSV’ The first season was an interesting and not so unrealistic future-vision with good topics and stories and an ecological message. With the second season it became a conventional Sci-Fi-show with Atlantis, ancient gods and even aliens. It did not matter anymore whether the vehicle was a submarine a spaceship or something other. The main reason why main-actor Roy Scheider leaved the show.

Another example was “Millenium”,the other mystery-show from “X-Files”-creator Chris Carter. The first season was a crime-show about “normal” serial-killers or psychopaths. By the takeover of the showrunners Morgan and Wong it became a paranormal monster-show with ghosts, mysteries and demons.

And ultimately, the great Gene Roddenberry, who had lost completely the influence about his creation. At all of his “Star-Trek”-series the message of optimism were lost by the time and they became military (“The next generation”) or even spacewar-shows (“DSN”).

Well, and now “The Big Bang Theory”. The funny show about four nerd-friends and their clash with another world-personified by the beautiful Penny- becomes a boring relationship-opera like many others. I want not to say that changes must be bad for a series in general, but only if they nevertheless remain faithful to their concept. At the beginning it was a-parodic- series about the nerd-culture in general. The behaviors, the habits and so on. Now it looks like a show against the nerd-culture. It makes it look that nerds are not high intelligent people with “island-talents” and extraordinary skills but only social deadbeats and losers which define themselves only in the way that they have no girlfriends or wifes. It seems that the massage is: “If you are a nerd, than try all what you can to get out of it.”

Hints of this were always in the show. Especially by Leonard. Remember, at the episode with the time-machine, he was ready to sell all his toys, models and other things to become Pennys attention. Or when he, Howard and Raj were high from the drug-cakes, he said that he hates his forename because it- by ton ago- contains the word “nerd”. Yes, Leonard is the best example. He hates it to be a nerd and that explains his behavior towards his friends. Angry

(If they want to present him as the main-character, why to hell they make him so unappealing, that the relationship with Penny never appears realistic? Also Pennys behavior cannot be explained. She knows that he is a liar and a cheater. That she still stays with him let it show her rather as enslaved than in love……and that is the opposite of her orginal-character.) Angry

Another example therefor that nerds are social losers was the character of Dennis Kim. What was the plan to put him out of the way? To get him a girlfriend. Get him a girlfriend and he will forget his IQ his skills and the science.
Now Sheldon is also a victim of this “formula” and all that does not nerds look good.

My question in this case: "Was that really the intention?” Huh

I cannot imagine it. I believe that there is a lot is getting out of control. Well, I am not a person which has a tendency to give the blame only one. I want to believe that Mister Molaro was thinking that he was doing the right thing. But how you are describes Mister Lorres behavior it sounds that he is desperately trying to keep a damage within limits.

How Treat Williams always said in “Deep rising”(1998):

“Now what?” Huh

When he don’t want that it became completely implausible- when he don’t want to buried his own “child”,….. than he must make a turn a bring the show to another way.  The best would be back to the roots, to the comedy and the old dignity of the characters.

And concerning “relationships” I only can repeat some lines from my first post:

“No, I stand to my opinion: Penny and Sheldon would be the real and perfect pair. It could be a wonderful love/hate-romance, marked by affection, balance, understanding and annoying. Sophisticated and funny at the same time.”

(Mister Lorre, if you read this, than……come on please and remember which topics and which two characters made your show great and bring it back to the old glory. It would pay off- financially as well as artistically).

Greetings from Germany and sorry for my English!
The following 6 users Like Ratman77's post:
  • Kimk26, Tuesday Pajamas, Idle Miscreant, Trust No One, wellplayedpenny, Satnight815

Messages In This Thread
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Gamma - 12-16-2015, 10:55 AM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Ratman77 - 12-17-2015, 09:16 AM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by A.D.A. - 12-18-2015, 02:14 PM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Jomi25 - 12-21-2015, 03:48 AM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Jomi25 - 12-25-2015, 07:03 PM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Nutz - 12-27-2015, 10:12 AM