Wishful Thinking...
(01-10-2014, 03:51 AM)FlyingMonkey Wrote:
(01-10-2014, 02:45 AM)SpaceAnJL Wrote:
(01-10-2014, 01:12 AM)WITCHDOCTOR FANTASTIC Wrote: Amen to that. It's always bothered me that the writers, though presumably well-meaning, seem to lack the knowledge (beyond guesswork) of intelligent, talented people. They come in all shapes and forms. All of the supposedly "geeky" women (Bernadette, Amy, Leslie) are, for lack of a better word, a bit plain. Dressing Amy in her grandmother's cast-offs was depressing to me.

The entire character is depressing. She's the stereotype of the plain, desperate woman, who might be intelligent and successful in her career, but it means nothing without a Man. To then have her fixate on someone equally socially inept - if it had been done with affection, two odd little aliens discovering each other, it could have been sweet. (I can't believe I just typed that) But it was done with mean intent, to mock and degrade. Because 'plain' women are jokes. 'Hot' women, on the other hand, have nothing about them but the perceived 'hotness' - who needs character if you've got breasts?

I think it is the portrayal of female roles that I find most offensive. It is very easy to fix perception, because it is 'only' a sitcom, but the lack of respect and the sheer misogynistic nastiness is insidious.

That's what it WAS for the first several episodes after the introduction of Amy. It was interesting watching two misfits discover each other. They only agreed to meet to placate others. They shared an aversion to soiled hosiery. They enjoyed each other's company but they weren't burdened by being in a "relationship". I wish they had continued that. Let the other characters go thru their romantic angst but leave Sheldon and Amy as curious, scientific observers of the turmoil

But then the writers decided to toss that away and gradually turned Amy into the mopey, humorless, sex-starved pursuer she is now. And I think it was done strictly for money. They know that there's a huge demographic out there who wants romance, romance and more romance. So they changed the show to attract that audience, and you have to admit that it's been wildly successful ratings-wise. You'll notice that the discussion on the other site after every episode now is almost entirely about the status of the various romantic relationships. Who's getting along, who's fighting, will they ever have sex, blah, blah, blah. It's obvious they've attracted far more viewers that they've turned off but it was done at the cost of undermining a unique, intelligent, refreshing show. Now I consider it an above average romcom. Nothing more.

Yes, I've always said this! I liked the idea of Amy when she and Sheldon were just friends whose relationship worked for them. They hovered on the outside and the writers had, looking back, stumbledon onto an agreeable "finding a girl for Sheldon" formula. Because apparently it is mandatory to find EVERYONE an opposite-sex coun terpart in this show. If they had stayed with the occasional "Amy the acquaintance" moments scattered a few times per season I would've been completely fine with Amy still being around. And it would not have got boring. I am so sick of people on the TBBT Site saying this. You'd think the way some of them carry on that every relationship has to get to the sex sooner or later to "develop", or feed their voracious fantasies. Often TV (and indeed "real life" - whatever that is) sex has the opposite effect of overcomplicating an enjoyable, close intellectual relationship.

I get the impression that Amy will start to resent Sheldon purely because he does not wish to give her what she is determined to rip out of him, and that's not fair.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
[/quote]

Yes, I've always said this! I liked the idea of Amy when she and Sheldon were just friends whose relationship worked for them. They hovered on the outside and the writers had, looking back, stumbledon onto an agreeable "finding a girl for Sheldon" formula. Because apparently it is mandatory to find EVERYONE an opposite-sex coun terpart in this show. If they had stayed with the occasional "Amy the acquaintance" moments scattered a few times per season I would've been completely fine with Amy still being around. And it would not have got boring. I am so sick of people on the TBBT Site saying this. You'd think the way some of them carry on that every relationship has to get to the sex sooner or later to "develop", or feed their voracious fantasies. Often TV (and indeed "real life" - whatever that is) sex has the opposite effect of overcomplicating an enjoyable, close intellectual relationship.

I get the impression that Amy will start to resent Sheldon purely because he does not wish to give her what she is determined to rip out of him, and that's not fair.
[/quote]

But say that on the other site and the response you get is "You just want Sheldon and Amy to die old and lonely in their empty apartments." There really is a disconnect between reality and fiction.

[/quote]

But say that on the other site and the response you get is "You just want Sheldon and Amy to die old and lonely in their empty apartments." There really is a disconnect between reality and fiction.
[/quote]

Hm, yes. It's all or nothing for them. They are completely shut out to alternative ideas. Isn't that what forums are for? Apparently not...
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
(01-11-2014, 07:49 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: I can see a genuinely dystopian finale for the show wherein Sheldon is a lifesize toy, broken of all will or higher thought process,
I'm afraid I think this has already happened to an extent.
I just wished they'd stayed friends. Amy would have made a much better addition to the show as a nerdy friend rather than this awful match-up with Sheldon.

Not just because he was/is quite asexual but because the vibe between is unbalanced. There's something lacking in their chemistry. It's like being the only science fiction fan in your office and a colleague says "that girl over there likes sci-fi too, so she must be the one." It doesn't work that way.

I have no idea where the writers are going with it now. And I don't think they do either.
(01-12-2014, 02:35 AM)Moonbase Wrote: I just wished they'd stayed friends. Amy would have made a much better addition to the show as a nerdy friend rather than this awful match-up with Sheldon.

Not just because he was/is quite asexual but because the vibe between is unbalanced. There's something lacking in their chemistry. It's like being the only science fiction fan in your office and a colleague says "that girl over there likes sci-fi too, so she must be the one." It doesn't work that way.

I have no idea where the writers are going with it now. And I don't think they do either.

You just want Sheldon and Amy to die old and lonely in their empty apartments.Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes FlyingMonkey's post:
  • Nutz
I think what frustrates me about how they portray Amy now is that old Amy HAD Sheldon's attention. When she proposed the meme-theory schtick on the group Sheldon's eyes lit right up and you could just tell that she'd engaged his brain and he found that intriguing. He was intellectually stimulated and intrigued. That's why I thought it incredibly sad when later Amy asks if they're ever going to be intimate and Shelly says that he thought what they had was intimate. That moment in the kitchen with Sheldon calling her a vixen for utilizing the softer sciences WAS intimate. ...Sometimes it just feels to me that Sheldon Cooper just fell from the sky with how little tptb seem to know about him....
The following 1 user Likes wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Wisp
Amy is Sheldon's surrogate mother who wants to have sex with him. Sounds perverted, but unfortunately it is true.
Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint, mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist. - Carl Friedrich Gauß
(01-12-2014, 09:17 AM)Berliner Wrote: Amy is Sheldon's surrogate mother who wants to have sex with him. Sounds perverted, but unfortunately it is true.

My dear, that's as good an explanation of modern Amy as any I've heard. I really have few words to describe her current condition and its effect on plot, character interactions and in particular poor Shelly. More than one person has pointed out that her character's continually in flux so I practically need a score card to keep track of where she's at.
(01-12-2014, 05:08 AM)FlyingMonkey Wrote:
(01-12-2014, 02:35 AM)Moonbase Wrote: I just wished they'd stayed friends. Amy would have made a much better addition to the show as a nerdy friend rather than this awful match-up with Sheldon.

You just want Sheldon and Amy to die old and lonely in their empty apartments.Big Grin

Oh, how I miss those arguments Tongue