Wishful Thinking...
(10-15-2014, 02:45 AM)Nutz Wrote: I hate the relationships on this show, but if they HAD to go there with Raj, I would have liked to see Emily being into cosplay, comic books and other supposed Geeky things and then having Leonard, Howard being completely jealous that Raj got a hot girlfriend who actually loved doing the same things Raj loved.

Unfortunately, Nutz, having Emily be a geek doesn't agree with the show's ethos that you must give up all that you are and all that you love for grown up things, primarily for sex. The boys will no longer be dedicated to science. That's just their job. They can only be dedicated to their mates and their future progeny.
It really is baffling how many times TPTB have turned away from truly funny moments, chemistry between actors, and opportunities just to push their message of mommy issues, incest jokes, mental regression, alcoholism, changing your core values for sex, and codependency.

If this is truly their idea of what normal looks like, the producers (especially Lorre) should look into intensive therapy, and that includes therapy where they are spending some quality time in a facility with padded rooms.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Louise
(10-15-2014, 04:42 AM)Nutz Wrote: It really is baffling how many times TPTB have turned away from truly funny moments, chemistry between actors, and opportunities just to push their message of mommy issues, incest jokes, mental regression, alcoholism, changing your core values for sex, and codependency.

If this is truly their idea of what normal looks like, the producers (especially Lorre) should look into intensive therapy, and that includes therapy where they are spending some quality time in a facility with padded rooms.

Yes. You really summed it up, Nutz.

The incest/pedophilia jokes and the Oedipal themes have gotten completely out of control. I'm amazed nobody in the mainstream media notices it. Ditto the idea that it's normal to be jealous if your partner had/has contact with *anyone* besides you. I've never seen a mainstream comedy with such a twisted take on sexuality.

I truly do not understand TPTB's priorities and point of view, and it's even more baffling that the show is so ultra-popular, given what you described. And they push these messages *so hard*, it's like a kind of zealotry. I know I've said this before, but it's like a type of fundamentalism.

They are presenting a truly bizarre vision of life, friendships, and relationships, and the idea that anyone relates to this is disturbing.

Why does the public not recognize how creepy and unhealthy it all is, and how full of negative, destructive messages?

TPTB are totally out of touch with how people in their 20s/30s actually live nowadays, and what a healthy friendship/relationship looks like, and how real people, especially women, behave. Where are their bizarre and outdated values *coming from*??? It's a mystery to me.

So, what's the appeal? Nothing about this show speaks to me, anymore. Who is sitting at home going "Oh, yeah, that's so true, that is totally me and my friend/wife/mom!"

I can only conclude that half the audience are just watching out of habit, and the other half are the usual Tumblr fangirls who will go wild for anything with a tall and lanky blue-eyed guy in it. They'd watch JP do the Ice Bucket Challenge for 22 minutes; it doesn't matter.

I don't get it, I really don't get it. What do TPTB hope to accomplish with all this, besides the money? They have this extremely specific point of view that they're trying desperately hard to promote, and for what?

Are the viewers sitting at home nodding and going "yes, the sole point of life is to get married by 26 and have kids..." ??

What we need is a TV show starring Cumberbatch & Hiddleston, and maybe Orlando Bloom, and then the fangirls would drop TBBT like a hot potato and come running... Dodgy
The following 1 user Likes Louise's post:
  • Trust No One
(10-15-2014, 08:05 AM)Louise Wrote: Yes. You really summed it up, Nutz.

The incest/pedophilia jokes and the Oedipal themes have gotten completely out of control. I'm amazed nobody in the mainstream media notices it. Ditto the idea that it's normal to be jealous if your partner had/has contact with *anyone* besides you. I've never seen a mainstream comedy with such a twisted take on sexuality.

I truly do not understand TPTB's priorities and point of view, and it's even more baffling that the show is so ultra-popular, given what you described. And they push these messages *so hard*, it's like a kind of zealotry. I know I've said this before, but it's like a type of fundamentalism.

They are presenting a truly bizarre vision of life, friendships, and relationships, and the idea that anyone relates to this is disturbing.

Why does the public not recognize how creepy and unhealthy it all is, and how full of negative, destructive messages?

TPTB are totally out of touch with how people in their 20s/30s actually live nowadays, and what a healthy friendship/relationship looks like, and how real people, especially women, behave. Where are their bizarre and outdated values *coming from*??? It's a mystery to me.

So, what's the appeal? Nothing about this show speaks to me, anymore. Who is sitting at home going "Oh, yeah, that's so true, that is totally me and my friend/wife/mom!"

I can only conclude that half the audience are just watching out of habit, and the other half are the usual Tumblr fangirls who will go wild for anything with a tall and lanky blue-eyed guy in it. They'd watch JP do the Ice Bucket Challenge for 22 minutes; it doesn't matter.

I don't get it, I really don't get it. What do TPTB hope to accomplish with all this, besides the money? They have this extremely specific point of view that they're trying desperately hard to promote, and for what?

Are the viewers sitting at home nodding and going "yes, the sole point of life is to get married by 26 and have kids..." ??

What we need is a TV show starring Cumberbatch & Hiddleston, and maybe Orlando Bloom, and then the fangirls would drop TBBT like a hot potato and come running... Dodgy

TPTB of this show need an intervention pronto Louise. This is why I harp on the actors not having a say at all in the show. The actors need some sort of voice in what happens to their characters. The actors need to invest more in this show. It cannot be just TPTB coming up with lousy ideas and the actors just go along. Penny getting a new haircut is not enough. Much deeper changes need to happen.
The following 1 user Likes Trust No One's post:
  • Louise
(10-15-2014, 09:55 AM)ses1515 Wrote: TPTB of this show need an intervention pronto Louise. This is why I harp on the actors not having a say at all in the show. The actors need some sort of voice in what happens to their characters. The actors need to invest more in this show. It cannot be just TPTB coming up with lousy ideas and the actors just go along. Penny getting a new haircut is not enough. Much deeper changes need to happen.

I agree, Ses. It's like TPTB are surrounded by yes-men and they never hear any opposing viewpoint or constructive criticism...
The following 1 user Likes Louise's post:
  • Trust No One
(10-15-2014, 10:02 AM)Louise Wrote: I agree, Ses. It's like TPTB are surrounded by yes-men and they never hear any opposing viewpoint or constructive criticism...

TPTB and actors need a healthy give and take and sharing of ideas. KCS and JP needed to step up and say something when the Shenny scenes were taken away.

(10-15-2014, 10:05 AM)ses1515 Wrote: TPTB and actors need a healthy give and take and sharing of ideas. KCS and JP needed to step up and say something when the Shenny scenes were taken away.

Just wanted to add some thing are worth fighting for. JP and KCS loved the Shenny scenes and they were a big part of the show and the shows success. This is not me just wanting the actors to be difficult and try to take over the show.
  • queenoftheDales
It seems that Tptb are holding out on Shenny purposefully this season, for reasons unknown (or not so unknown) and I'm wary that any future scene they have will be a tool for more Shamy pushing. Undecided

Who? is right about the dispensable character deal and it's not just the throw away characters like Emily...I think Leonard and especially Raj are in the same boat.

I wish they hadn't have had these folks settle down so quickly; it's like the characters life force is being drained. I mean, I guess eventually there would be some pairing up, Penny and Leonard were probably endgame from the beginning, but geez Dodgy The writers just picked the three worst relationship scenarios and went with it. Can these folks be together and it be funny? Just a lil bit?

TBBT is waist-deep in this weird, dirty type humor right now and hopefully they will grow out of it for the sake of those who still watch.

They gotta hit bottom eventually, right? ...right!? Confused
The following 1 user Likes queenoftheDales's post:
  • Trust No One
(10-15-2014, 10:43 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote: It seems that Tptb are holding out on Shenny purposefully this season, for reasons unknown (or not so unknown) and I'm wary that any future scene they have will be a tool for more Shamy pushing. Undecided

Who? is right about the dispensable character deal and it's not just the throw away characters like Emily...I think Leonard and especially Raj are in the same boat.

I wish they hadn't have had these folks settle down so quickly; it's like the characters life force is being drained. I mean, I guess eventually there would be some pairing up, Penny and Leonard were probably endgame from the beginning, but geez Dodgy The writers just picked the three worst relationship scenarios and went with it. Can these folks be together and it be funny? Just a lil bit?

TBBT is waist-deep in this weird, dirty type humor right now and hopefully they will grow out of it for the sake of those who still watch.

They gotta hit bottom eventually, right? ...right!? Confused

Weird and dirty type humor should be no where near this type of show. Same for all the characters pairing off. Makes no sense to me. I really hope the shows hits rock bottom soon queen.
  • Louise
Some programmes can get away with having two layers; one aimed at younger viewers, and a subtle layer aimed at adults(as if the youngsters don't know what they are talking about, sure!). CL has talked about his drug use, and the guys get stoned, and Sheldon mentions acid. There are various sexual references; like to both A's and Penny's 'battery operated rubber chew toy'. But none of these are done subtly or cleverly! One interesting aspect of the show is the gender reversal;

The funny part of all this is MB is so outspoken when it comes to males bashing, anti feminism in ads and shows, but she doesn't seem to have a problem with starring in a show that promotes the worst of these issues. Oh sure they average 18 - 20 million viewers, but only 5-7 million are in THE golden Demographic of 18 to 34, the rest are over that age, or most likely under the age of 18. I wonder what the kid demo is for this show. I would like to ask her if she would let her kids watch this show and what will she say to them when they start watching it at their friends house and want to know why she's promoting everything she's been teaching them not to do and think.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons