The Existential Angst of Stuart Bloom
Shock Stuart, what did you DO?!

[Image: 570x321x20140517-tbbt-07x24-3-570x321.pn...WLCQSA.jpg]
[Image: 640px-FI29.png]
The following 1 user Likes queenoftheDales's post:
  • Idle Miscreant
Ach I know! Poor melancholy screed of a fellow.
In Dublin a few winters ago the pipes froze then burst in my pal's bookshop, subsequent snow melting through the roof shorted out the electrical wiring and ran all over the antiquarian section, leaving us in a wet, papery mess of darkness. Fuckers still tried to buy books. One came in with a little candle. No that doesn't help. Please take the naked flame away from what remains of my livelihood, said my friend.
My own bookshop nearly suffered a similar fate when a rather ditzy student I'd hired decided to light some incense in the front of the shop whilst making himself an egg-nog in the back of the shop (he wouldn't drink the wine I left out for the staff) and the incense dropped onto a rag soaked in lighter-fluid (used for cleaning glue off ex-libris hardbacks) which started a small conflagration. My level-headed employee screamed (he told me) and ran down the road to the next bookshop, and waited there. I don't fucking know why. I came back from the pub to find the shop half-soaked, full of smoke and a customer sitting behind the desk drinking the shop wine. Watching Stuart putz around despondently amidst the wreckage made me think of this, and I mourned along in sympathy.
Requiescat in pace, Comic Book Store.
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 4 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • ricardo shillyshally, lewstonewar, Wisp, Tuesday Pajamas
(05-21-2014, 07:48 AM)Major Gripe Wrote: Ach I know! Poor melancholy screed of a fellow.
In Dublin a few winters ago the pipes froze then burst in my pal's bookshop, subsequent snow melting through the roof shorted out the electrical wiring and ran all over the antiquarian section, leaving us in a wet, papery mess of darkness. Fuckers still tried to buy books. One came in with a little candle. No that doesn't help. Please take the naked flame away from what remains of my livelihood, said my friend.
My own bookshop nearly suffered a similar fate when a rather ditzy student I'd hired decided to light some incense in the front of the shop whilst making himself an egg-nog in the back of the shop (he wouldn't drink the wine I left out for the staff) and the incense dropped onto a rag soaked in lighter-fluid (used for cleaning glue off ex-libris hardbacks) which started a small conflagration. My level-headed employee screamed (he told me) and ran down the road to the next bookshop, and waited there. I don't fucking know why. I came back from the pub to find the shop half-soaked, full of smoke and a customer sitting behind the desk drinking the shop wine. Watching Stuart putz around despondently amidst the wreckage made me think of this, and I mourned along in sympathy.
Requiescat in pace, Comic Book Store.

I wonder if Stuart has a friend with a lot of money who might want to be a silent partner and help him rebuild bigger and better.
'queenoftheDales' : Stuart, what did you DO?! > What exactly is happening? Has the comic book store closed?
Stuart left a hot plate on in the back room of the store while he went to a car wash to shower. It pretty much burned down.
Car wash to shower! Stuart are things that bad! I hate it when comic book stores, record shops, close, they are social spaces(and the staff are reassuringly rude). I was once so broke in France, I ate in at the supermarche. Just find what you like; bread, cheese, pickle, and eat it in the aisle, with a drink!
The following 2 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Nutz
(05-21-2014, 11:51 PM)queenoftheDales Wrote: Stuart left a hot plate on in the back room of the store while he went to a car wash to shower. It pretty much burned down.

I can't believe the writers did that to his store! Stuart deserves so much more than this. He should run away like Sheldon and find a happier place to live in. Poor guy. Sad
The following 1 user Likes FlyingSolo's post:
  • Idle Miscreant
Awww... Stuart... Sad
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
Okay, I have not watched a full season beyond S3, so I wouldn't know, but here are a few thoughts:

Stuart was not always portrayed as suicidally depressed with nothing positive going on in his life, no? In the early seasons, he may've been rather glum in a Charlie Brown sort of way, but he also asked out Penny, etc.

I thought the original point of Stuart was that he's a nerd/geek but not a scientist. In contrast to the four guys, he's more of an average working-class guy who has some geeky interests but doesn't have a high-profile job, as they do.

Then, we had clinically depressed Stuart, and I'm not sure how I feel about that, as someone who has experienced clinical depression myself, IRL.

And now, we have a more aggressive/confident Stuart who is territorial about his new position as Mrs.W's caretaker and has a pretty nasty conflict going on with Howard, to the point where they get into an actual, physical fight? (and Howard is mostly the bad guy in this conflict? IDK.)

WTF? That's all I can say, WTF. *All* of this show's characters have multiple personalities. All of the characters have become so nasty and mean-spirited.

I like Kevin S. well enough, but I do not see the point in adding yet ANOTHER "main" character to the group of 7. Seven is already too many. Original Stuart was a good minor character, on the same tier as Leslie or Kripke.

This show seems to be almost entirely about petty interpersonal conflicts, now. People arguing and bitching and being hostile and spiteful. It's so ugly and unpleasant.

There was always tension and snarkiness amongst the characters, but that type of thing is best when it's used sparingly: a quick joke, a quick one-liner, not the focus of an entire episode.

IMO, conflict in a comedy needs to be presented in a very exagerrated, absurdist way, so as to take the sting out of it. If it's too serious, then it becomes unpleasant and unsettling. When S and L clashed in "The Cooper-Hofstader Polarization", that was comical and clearly not meant to be taken seriously. That's why Seinfeld is (mostly) not disturbing, despite the fact that it's often full of arguing and shouting.

I could almost say that the mean-spiritedness is the very worst thing about this show's transformation, moreso than any quibbles about specific ships or specific storylines.

I mean, really. "Let's elevate a secondary character to regular status just to ruin him, because there's not enough yelling and bickering already"???

On a side note, the one thing I'll never forgive TPTB for, is separating Howard and Raj. That's another reason why I dislike the Space storyline, and it's why I'd still dislike B, even if she were a less shrewish character. I think it bothers me even more than the watering-down of Howard's character.
The following 2 users Like Louise's post:
  • Trust No One, ricardo shillyshally
Stuart seemed to go into a depression when things did not work out with Penny. The fighting does seem to be hostile and spiteful. I think in many ways after Leonard got with Penny, he had the attitude that he did not need Sheldon any longer. Sheldon has become more of a bother. I think TPTB should have keep Howard single and kept the Howard and Raj friendship intact.
The following 1 user Likes Trust No One's post:
  • Louise