SPOILER WARNING: What fresh hell is this? - S9
(08-09-2015, 09:00 AM)Idle Miscreant Wrote: Blackadder goes on "date night".
Withnail builds a blanky fort and proposes.
Sherlock gets married.
Bernard Black opens a tea-shop with his kooky girlfriend.

The thing is, I can imagine these scenarios. But done in the original format, with British sensibility, they would all be horrifying, hilarious train wrecks. Withnail holed up in a blanky fort with a bottle, prepared to defend himself with extreme prejudice and soft furnishings...

None of these characters work in a plastic, saccharine, primary coloured world. Any attempt to make them over into that is doomed to failure. Possibly because the British, on the whole, are more prepared to deal with eccentric assholes, and don't feel the need to punish them relentlessly until they become conformist. Or children's TV presenters.
The following 2 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Nutz, Idle Miscreant
Exactly!
I always felt (the original) Sheldon WAS one of those characters, trapped in a ghastly technicolour sitcom universe. Slowly going mad, teetering on the brink of being drawn into the pedestrian, normalised vortex, but always fending it off. By his aloofness, intelligence, and alien sensibilities.

But as the background pulled away from him, becoming more aggressively commercial (nastier jokes, boring adult dinner parties, "girls nights", claustrophobic relationships, in-laws, cheating etc), the discord between his peculiar, alien character and the "plastic, saccharine, primary coloured world" became so extreme as to be untenable, and he collapsed and was dragged under, into the frothy mainstream.

Now he's just another harmless sitcom boyfriend. Alternatively buffoonish, simpering and idiotic. And through this very attempt to normalise and de-alienise him (solely through the medium of romance, predictably enough) he has, ironically, become less believable as a person.
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The 'HYPE' has started with Bialik posting an awkward looking cast shot which I will not repeat here.

Here's a nice one of Melissa and Kunal though.

[Image: melissa-rauch.jpg]

Kaley and Johnny.

[Image: kaley-9-insta.jpg]
Very sad to announce the bondage of Sheldon looks certain to continue with our once unique genius trying to 'win' back his drab partner. He's never looked more dreary, more infantile and less funny, than he did last season. Bad news for old season fans. Sad Leonard and Penny will be set to marry, could go either way.

THE BIG BANG THEORY (Monday, Sept. 21)
"Brilliant Sheldon is confronted by a mystery of the universe he cannot unravel: when a woman wants time apart to think, exactly how much time does that mean, and is there any way to hurry the process along? In Las Vegas, Penny and Leonard march closer to marching down the aisle, but has Penny gotten over Leonard’s infidelity? And if so, will he do anything to un-get her over it?"
Sheldon can't understand women. Har-de-har-har. I remember when Sheldon couldn't understand PEOPLE.
There is a world of difference.
The following 1 user Likes Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Nutz

There's our lads together. Wine

Although probably for the first and last time.

I have a distinct sense of horror about the upcoming season. Best expressed by this gif.

[Image: tumblr_mdkj4wjBZM1qa9hcb.gif]
The following 1 user Likes Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Nutz
(08-12-2015, 10:40 AM)Idle Miscreant Wrote: There's our lads together. Wine

Has Johnny put on more weight, Or is it just a bad picture of him?
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
9.01 *spoilers ahead*

The show has finally married off Leonard and Penny. No big wedding. Just a Vegas thing, after 8 dragged out years.

Amy breaks up with Sheldon. Lots of groveling ahead for Sheldon. They are far too predictable with Morelo at the helm.
Well, the Vegas Wedding didn't mean anything between Penny and Zack, I'm sure it means even less between Penny and Leonard.

Face it, when you run off to get Married in Vegas without your friends or Family it's cause you know something's wrong and won't last. So why spend the money or go through a hastle
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
And after marrying Zack 'accidentally' who would repeat the process? It doesn't scream true love, does it?

And Sheldon and Amy? She doesn't get him at all. So the premier featured lots of Angry Amy and Sheldon not getting it. Rolleyes