SPOILER WARNING: What fresh hell is this? - S9
Judging from the transcript I'm not sure they meant they GENUINELY read fanfiction, it seemed rather more like a lead-in to getting Kunal and MB to read from that Koothrapamy business...
You can't just say "Here's an Amy/Raj fanfiction we wrote to amuse you", you have to set it up as though you just FOUND it whilst trawling through the archives.

If I'm mistaken and they do read fanfiction, then that's very troubling.

Despite the whole of Season 8 reading like Shamy fanfiction anyway, I just presumed that was Molaro's "Vision" (if it is indeed Molaro that is responsible for all this)...He evidently sees Sheldon as some sort of "marshmallowy, pigletty sort of creature" (Blackadder's description of Prince George to Miss Amy Hardwood) or idiot child, who is suited to a snuggly-wuggly, sticky-wicky, toddlerish relationship. He also evidently doesn't consider Sheldon to be very clever. Or capable and independent like he was in S1-3. Which is why his intelligence and manner has been reduced to that a bumbling buffoon. Which is a great shame.

Sheldon's entire story now is about his relationship with Amy. Thus his character has been altered significantly to allow this. The Sheldon of the first three seasons would have thrown a fit at this nonsense.

Speaking of "Koothrapamy", that actually makes sense to me. Raj is a sensitive, romantic fellow, who desperately wants to be in a relationship. He's dashing, wealthy and chivalrous, he can cook and make origami napkin swans. Amy is a needy, love-starved character, who desperately wants to be in a relationship, who wants to be fawned over and adored, and go through all the traditional romantic milestones. She also wants to be normal, and obsesses over the "cool kids". Raj similarly wants to ditch his "nerd" status (in his later, revamped incarnation). They're perfect together.

Sheldon never gave a damn about being normal, or the "cool kids". Sheldon is not naturally warm, affectionate and romantic. Sheldon DOES NOT WANT THE COITUS. Sheldon loathes date nights, and couldn't give a giant rat's arse about the traditional romantic milestones. Sheldon is driven. He is (or WAS) a man on a QUEST. So why put him with Amy, who wants the opposite?

One of them has to change, and so far it's been Sheldon Sheldon Sheldon. Why does HE have to change? Amy should learn that romantic milestones are clichés, Proms and Valentines are vapid and tawdry, and to be proud of being different.
But no, Sheldon (and those who think like him) are wrong. Proms are VERY IMPORTANT. NOTHING MATTERS MORE THAN ROMANTIC RELATIONSHIPS. Not friendships, not one's work, not one's passions and hobbies, not science....ONLY ROMANCE.

If only someone had told Tesla!

[Image: 0f4d522e70c60b49a4b0f5f6eb6b29f4.jpg]
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 6 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Nutz, Tuesday Pajamas, Toad, devilbk, Gamma, CassandraElise
As a Shenny who knows the score, (don't we all?) Lenny was always the writers intended endgame. But the dynamic of this couple has never been enough to carry the show on its own. The original premise had other things which made it special.

Sheldon - and how unique he was
Howard and Raj - the bromance
Sheldon and Penny - the perfect 'odd coulple'
Geekiery and science
Sheldon and Leonard - the founding friendship.

I think the problem now is the writers are trying to wind-up stories that never needed to be wound up. The only couple that EVER required an endgame was Lenny but the writers are in this trap of their own making, trying to provide EVERY nerd on the block his Lenny-style ending.
The following 5 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Toad, Gamma, devilbk, Nutz, Louise
(07-21-2015, 06:48 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: I think the problem now is the writers are trying to wind-up stories that never needed to be wound up. The only couple that EVER required an endgame was Lenny but the writers are in this trap of their own making, trying to provide EVERY nerd on the block his Lenny-style ending.

EXACTLY, PJ. It's this "what will happen to the characters when they're old???" syndrome, which we've all mentioned before. I don't need or want to see a character's entire life-trajectory from young and single to married with kids. I don't need to see the characters aging in real-time and going through all the milestones of an average life. I would prefer it if each season represented just a few weeks or months in the lives of the characters.

A comedy doesn't need this type of linear storytelling, with characters "progressing" from point A to point B. My preference would've been for this show to end with all characters single and no major changes in their lives. It's fine if they're casually dating various people, but I don't need to watch them passing through all the stages/phases of a conventional life. This isn't a televised diary.

I'm not sitting at home panicking because a 30-year-old character isn't married with a dog and a van and a white picket fence. This show could've ended after four or five seasons, with the understanding that this represented just a year or two in the show's universe.

I do not watch a comedy for suspense or cliff-hangers or plot twists. I don't watch a comedy for some lengthy saga about a person's entire lifespan. They need to narrow their focus. I don't need "closure" from a comedy.

The problem, of course, is a disconnect between what Nostalgics think this show is about---the five things you listed, PJ--versus what TPTB thinks the show is about. TPTB thinks the show is about the characters growing into adulthood, and their definition of adulthood is a strange and restrictive one. They think we *should* find it worrisome and abnormal and pathetic that a 27-year-old isn't having sex or getting married or doing XYZ.

I've sometimes suggested that these timeline issues could've been ameliorated by making the characters a bit younger at the start. The cast was young-looking enough to pull it off. But, you see, that doesn't jive with TPTB's thesis; that the guys are immature man-children whose psychological age doesn't match their physical age. It's harder to deride someone for living at home or reading comics or being single if they're 19 instead of 30. The show would have us believe this is a story of delayed maturation where the characters existed in a state of childish limbo until marriage/couplehood, the Only Important Thing™, triggered their overdue awakening. Puke

Like I've said before, this show is now answering questions that nobody asked. Too much backstory, etc. IMO they also have a pattern of taking things from the early seasons that were understood to be surreal or exaggerated or tongue-in-cheek, and making them literal. There are so many examples of this.
The following 5 users Like Louise's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Nutz, Gamma, Toad, Trust No One
News is Howards father will make an appearance in S9.

So expect more overly forced sentimentality for this character. I would love to DREAM that they'll use this plot to create some great comedy moments, but they are just not putting an emphasis on this anymore.

Louise your post sums up my thoughts as well. I wish the show didn't have such an agenda! which seems to be more driven by lame fan ideas, then the imagination of the writers.
(07-22-2015, 03:33 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: News is Howards father will make an appearance in S9.

So expect more overly forced sentimentality for this character. I would love to DREAM that they'll use this plot to create some great comedy moments, but they are just not putting an emphasis on this anymore.

Louise your post sums up my thoughts as well. I wish the show didn't have such an agenda! which seems to be more driven by lame fan ideas, then the imagination of the writers.

Get ready for Howard's father hitting on everyone or better yet Penny will pull the same thing she did with Raj's father. Shark

(07-22-2015, 04:29 AM)Louise Wrote: EXACTLY, PJ. It's this "what will happen to the characters when they're old???" syndrome, which we've all mentioned before. I don't need or want to see a character's entire life-trajectory from young and single to married with kids. I don't need to see the characters aging in real-time and going through all the milestones of an average life. I would prefer it if each season represented just a few weeks or months in the lives of the characters.

A comedy doesn't need this type of linear storytelling, with characters "progressing" from point A to point B. My preference would've been for this show to end with all characters single and no major changes in their lives. It's fine if they're casually dating various people, but I don't need to watch them passing through all the stages/phases of a conventional life. This isn't a televised diary.

I'm not sitting at home panicking because a 30-year-old character isn't married with a dog and a van and a white picket fence. This show could've ended after four or five seasons, with the understanding that this represented just a year or two in the show's universe.

I do not watch a comedy for suspense or cliff-hangers or plot twists. I don't watch a comedy for some lengthy saga about a person's entire lifespan. They need to narrow their focus. I don't need "closure" from a comedy.

The problem, of course, is a disconnect between what Nostalgics think this show is about---the five things you listed, PJ--versus what TPTB thinks the show is about. TPTB thinks the show is about the characters growing into adulthood, and their definition of adulthood is a strange and restrictive one. They think we *should* find it worrisome and abnormal and pathetic that a 27-year-old isn't having sex or getting married or doing XYZ.

I've sometimes suggested that these timeline issues could've been ameliorated by making the characters a bit younger at the start. The cast was young-looking enough to pull it off. But, you see, that doesn't jive with TPTB's thesis; that the guys are immature man-children whose psychological age doesn't match their physical age. It's harder to deride someone for living at home or reading comics or being single if they're 19 instead of 30. The show would have us believe this is a story of delayed maturation where the characters existed in a state of childish limbo until marriage/couplehood, the Only Important Thing™, triggered their overdue awakening. Puke

Like I've said before, this show is now answering questions that nobody asked. Too much backstory, etc. IMO they also have a pattern of taking things from the early seasons that were understood to be surreal or exaggerated or tongue-in-cheek, and making them literal. There are so many examples of this.

Very well put Louise. I'm fine with the type of plot twist like the Rachel/Joey Ship from Friends. I like when a comedy has this type of surprise. It keeps things fresh and the audience off-balance. I do not need to know everything about these characters though and especially when it comes to the secondary characters. I think there should be some mystery. At the end of the day a comedy needs to be funny and entertaining. It's just not funny or entertaining to me watching these lousy Ships. Bernie yelling and treating Howard like a baby is not funny to me. Same for Amy trying to push Sheldon all the time or the Leonard being so out of Penny's league. This show has 4 Ships win you include Raj/Emily. That is way too much. You leave yourself no room to explore anything else.
(07-22-2015, 03:33 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: News is Howards father will make an appearance in S9.

The witty, clever, fresh, unique comedy of the original show has taken a backseat to sentimental mush. LOL has been replaced by awwwwww.
I think you can have sentimental moments but they can't dominate the show or else you no longer have a comedy. Of course what really doesn't help is that the sentimental writing blows goats. It does baffle me why they went for their weakest writing as opposed to their comedic strength. But I suppose, as Cyndi Lauper says, Money Changes Everythang.
Let's go exploring!
The following 1 user Likes wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas
The S9 premier will include:

Kevin Sussman as Stuart
Laura Spencer (Emily) and
LaVelle LaRue playing a Security Guard of some sort.

Could a Lenny blow-up be on the cards for 9.01? (security!) as the season is rumoured to open, just after they drive to Vegas.

May I just say "blows goats" :d:d
It's all a bloody melodrama. I don't care. Where is our old alien friend Sheldon? Where is the sense that the "geek" world is distinct and honourable? Nowhere. Where is the world that we once cared about?
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
So True.

I really don't know what the purpose of Emily is. Oh yeah, EVERYONE has to have their marriage ending. Come on writers you can do better than this fanfiction style cack.