Sci-fi movie recommends
I love almost anything science fiction, even the really bad ones, but I just watched a brilliant film so I thought I'd start a recommendations thread.

This is definitely not cheese. Anyone who likes sc-fi and zombie horror will appreciate 'The last days on Mars'. It's genuinely frightening and intense, very realistic. It had me on the edge of my seat. Loved it.

[Image: 9833218.jpg]
[Image: Last-Days-on-Mars.jpg]
[Image: Last-days-on-mars_review_1.jpg]
[Image: 35920.jpg]
[Image: The-Last-Days-on-Mars-Liev-Schreiber.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Toad, Nutz
I'm not sure about Prometheus, I think it suffers from pre-make, or prequel syndrome. But Michael Fassbender is always mesmerising. This is an interesting scene, where he learns to be more human by watching Lawrence of Arabia(always a good reference). He reminds me of Sheldon, trying to understand humans, and imitate them.

The following 2 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Jomi25
I definitely recommend the new sci-fi comedy film, PIXELS. It may not be a perfect film, but it was a lot of fun. I thoroughly enjoyed watching. The CG visual effects & video game characters were definitely the best part for me.

The following 2 users Like Jomi25's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, ricardo shillyshally
Thanks Jomi, I have been neglecting this thread.

Ricardo - I wasn't into Prometheus either.

I know this came out last year but Interstellar, is in my opinion, is astonishing. When I first saw it I thought it was more Science Fiction than fact but it's based on real hard science and that's what makes it so mind blowing.

We know space and time can bend but I've never seen a movie deal with this concept in quite the same way. The film has the support of many scientists, although there is some criticism over the blight on earth part. But that's the least important part. The world IS going to run out of food how its depleted happening in this movie is immaterial but that's for another debate.

I don't think the trailer does it justice, especially the end part which is both terrifying and amazing.

• Gamma, queenoftheDales

Although I dislike 'gung ho American hero saves world' films, I liked Predator. This is an alien's view of us, and our world.
The following 2 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • wellplayedpenny, Tuesday Pajamas
Anyone watching Dark Matter? I just tried an episode and lo and behold, Mr Wil Wheaton was onboard. He was rather commanding and slightly evil, and kind of hot. I've never found him hot before but he's got an amazing smooth voice. I betchya he can sing.

[Image: Screen%20Shot%202015-09-17%20at%2021.37....siigvi.png]

http://www.syfy.com/darkmatter/videos/da...episode-12

The show is already up to Season 3 and Wil only appeared in the one episode.
Keeping with the Halloween theme I recommend this little comedy wonder.

What We Do in the Shadows

It's like a vampire reality TV show spoof. Wonderful, really funny. Starring Jemaine Clement, from Flight of the Conchords as one of the vampires.

[Image: shadows_8.jpg?itok=cKsdXCj7]

Just saw The Martian with Matt Damon and enjoyed it. A good survival movie, very optimistic for a sci-fi.

[Image: matt-damon-the-martian-trailer.jpg]

Anyone seen this one?
  • Gamma, Nostalgia
I was really looking forward to Ex-Machina, the trailer was really impressive and I love the idea of AI.

It was different to what I expected though. It has undercurrents about todays sexual politics and even modern slavery. The role of women, who are not quite women and what makes us human. It left an odd impression on me. The mastermind Nathan didn't convince as super intelligent but seemed little more than a cyber-pimp. And Caleb was far too gullible for the time frame involved. I know this got great reviews and its worth seeing but I found it a little empty.
Under the Skin

Atmospheric and creepy. Scarlett Johansson is just incredible in everything she does.