2 Dirty Socks
0%
0 0%
3 Dirty Socks
0%
0 0%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

8.21 The Communication Deterioration (April 16)
Though as a fan I would want my favorite shows to get multi-year renewals, I think that it's a bad idea creatively. We can see that with Season 8. They had no pressure on them to do things better. All they needed to do was exactly what they'd done before. Which is what they did. They need to be hungrier. Next year, when they start getting interested in going beyond Season 10 (and the enormous payday that would entail) I look for them to start taking some risks. Because if it's more of the same, they will limp into their final season. And the ratings will sink. Precipitously.
The following 1 user Likes devilbk's post:
  • Louise
(04-18-2015, 12:46 AM)devilbk Wrote: Though as a fan I would want my favorite shows to get multi-year renewals, I think that it's a bad idea creatively. We can see that with Season 8. They had no pressure on them to do things better. All they needed to do was exactly what they'd done before. Which is what they did. They need to be hungrier. Next year, when they start getting interested in going beyond Season 10 (and the enormous payday that would entail) I look for them to start taking some risks. Because if it's more of the same, they will limp into their final season. And the ratings will sink. Precipitously.

Literally. "Fig Newtons". How many times this season has a joke been ripped almost word for word from a season 1-3 episode. What a disgrace to writers everywhere.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • devilbk
I haven't watched much of season 8. Decided to give this one a go and all I can say is...

THE SHOW IS SO BAD NOW! cry

Jim has lost it big time! Leonard was such a doofus. He's worse than he's ever been. How is this show still getting good reviews these days? Have the reviewers all lost their senses? "I'm the wise man" boy that was lame.

Then came the guy scene and everything changed, I relaxed and started to enjoy it. Howard was amazing. I loved Raj. It was like the old days. Sheldon needs to tone it down though. The earlier Shenny scene started beautifully. The initial sexual tension was as far away from sibling-like as you can get. Tongue Give me a break writers. But then it went flat. The lines were not great and Kaley was the only reason the scene held together. I think she'll be the only one of the cast who will have a career after the show ends. I loved her internal voice scene, she's still got it. People will still want to see Kaley but I suspect the other may struggle. Who's going to want to see Jim after years of this terrible version of Sheldon?

ARGHHH! the alien scene was too short. It felt promising but it was only a few seconds. And where are Sheldon's super hero t-shirts? It's just not the same without them. Sad
I was reading some of the AV reviews and have to say kind of surprised the reviewer didn't see any nerd shaming in Skywalker, loved seeing Amy get the TARDIS to lure Sheldon, thought the Lenny scene in Fort was bad and the stray observations clearly mark them as a rose colored glasses Shamy

To admit a bit of bias, I’ve never been able to stomach Wil Wheaton’s guest turns. His character feels completely out of place and hardly ever adds anything to a given episode.

Amy tried to fit in with everyone in grade school when they were all getting lice. She sprinkled sugar in her hair to get that lice-like effect, but it had terrible consequences: “I just got attacked by bees.”

Sheldon is all about the literal, adorable fort names, calling the one he and Amy build Fort Cozy McBlanket.

To be clear, it’s gif with a hard “g.”

The “happy Sheldon photo” was one of the better laughs of the night. The interplay between Jim Parsons and Mayim Bialik is one of the show’s more consistent highlights.

It's enough to make you feel like they're being paid off by someone
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
Quote:It's enough to make you feel like they're being paid off by someone

I haven't read this particular review nor watched this ep, but AV Club is always ass-kissing and/or weird and/or rage-inducing.

I get a strong impression that the reviewers know relatively little about the show and certainly haven't been watching since Day 1. I think somebody gets assigned to write these things, they watch an ep or two or maybe just some Youtube clips and they read the Wiki or some summaries.

I happened upon a particularly stupid review of 43rd Peculiarity which made it clear that the writer had no understanding of the show's roots, no sense of what the pre-A&B era was all about, no Nostalgic sensibilities. This writer said the Howard&Raj segments were one of their least-favorite parts of the show, and clearly saw the absence of A&B in that ep as an anomaly and a step backwards. ( a step backwards in a bad way, I mean.)

Personally, I don't believe the AV Club reviewers have sat down and watched all of S1 or S2. I don't think they've watched more than a handful of episodes, period.

There's so much second-hand information on the Web now, it would be extremely easy to fake an opinion on something you're really not very familiar with.

They watch the ep (or just clips from the ep), they read Wikipedia to remind themselves of who the characters are, they write their spiel. They have no sense of the show's history and therefore they don't see its current state as an aberration.

And yes, I absolutely think they're "connected" in some way and there's some type of cronyism/networking/whatever in play. $$$ Dodgy

TL;DR: From what I've seen, AV Club's reviews are never Nostalgic-friendly or even logical/reasonable/consistent, and that's because they're working from sort of a Cliffs Notes version of the show, IMO. Oh, and one guy said that it was awesome to watch Howard being emasculated. I went at him like a Grizzly on PCP.
The following 3 users Like Louise's post:
  • Toad, Nutz, Jomi25
Quote:It's like lounging languidly in a doorway, coat and hat on, peering in at an ongoing dinner party. As long as a particular guest remains, so too will you remain at the door, and never enter.

Generally I'm happy in the non-watching foyer with you lot. At least we can smoke!

But if Farrah Fowler ever leaves permanently, I'll put my hat on the stand, enter the dining room, and pull up a goddamn chaise longue... Wine Just in time for the port and walnuts, presumably...

Sounds very dapper, in either case Wink
The following 2 users Like Louise's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Nutz