Friends vs The Big Bang Theory
This article raised some hackles over at the other forum but I wonder if anyone agrees with it here.

http://whatculture.com/tv/15-similaritie...theory.php

Do you think there's any similarities between the shows?

Here's their points and a blossom for those I agree with...

15. A Gorgeous Blonde Moves In And A Geek Has A Crush On Her - Blossom
14. Rock, Paper, Scissors, Lizard, Spock, Fire, Water Bomb - I don't remember this on Friends
13. An Annoying Monkey - (although Ricky wasn't annoying but he had his brain dissected by someone who is) Blossom
12. A Song About A Cat - Blossom
11. “That’s My Spot” - kind of Blossom
10. Two Characters With No Previous Sexual Attraction Get It On - Blossom
9. Lying - Blossom
8. The Jealous New Girlfriend Who Hates On The Ex - Blossom
7. Social Awkwardness - were Friends characters awkward? I think they are pretty normal.
6. Hospital - now this one is just vague
5. A Drunk Vegas Wedding - Blossom
4. Fat Suits - Blossom
3. A Bromance - not really
2. An Obese Unseen Character - Blossom
1. Break Up Of The Hot Blonde And The Geek - Blossom
(03-19-2015, 08:32 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: 7. Social Awkwardness - were Friends characters awkward? I think they are pretty normal.
6. Hospital - now this one is just vague

7: I think Chandler and Ross were kinda awkward because they were both nerds, judging by the flash back episodes but not nearly to the degree that TBBT has its characters. Chandler was snarky and funny, not an asshole.

6: I though the article was gonna bring up the episode where Ross was hit in the face with a hockey puck, but there are more than one than one instance where the characters are at the hospital and the friend has to awkwardly comfort and fill out paperwork...

How can TBBT not be compared to Friends? Tptb turned Big Bang into a rom-com so now it has to be compared to the one sitcom that was hugely successful for 10 season.

The question is what is new!TBBT doing to try not to be a crappy Friends 2.0? Not much from what I can see. Dodgy

Similarities:

~Penny is a Rachel/Joey combo: Pretty waitress who falls for the nice guy geek/not-so-smart aspiring actress who was always broke.

~The god-awful on-again, off-again relationship garbage

~Monica had to deal with the unloving mom like Leonard. (not nearly as bad as Leonard, but still)

Someone made several videos comparing TBBT with Friends. Here is the first one.

I was never a regular Friends watcher, but even I have seen enough episodes to see the similarities.
Oh wow, oh wow, what an adventure.
The following 2 users Like Gamma's post:
  • queenoftheDales, Jomi25