0 0%
3 Dirty Socks
0%
0 0%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

7.13 The Occupation Recalibration
(01-11-2014, 06:01 AM)taffinabean Wrote:
(01-10-2014, 09:38 PM)CassandraElise Wrote: OMG, guys this episode hit me with the FEELS. Sheldon was sooo supportive of Penny, all while retaining his classic condescension and not not dissolving into uncharacteristic schmaltz. When he said "Because he’s not like us, Penny. We’re dreamers," to Penny, my sister and I started awwwing. So cute. I also loved how they ganged up on Leonard, who once again showed how UN-supportive and completely not understanding he is of his purported "True love."

The beginning was adorbs too, when Leonard knocked on the door three times, and Sheldon unconsciously piped up from 4A, "Penny."

I feel like the ending was incomplete, but unlike with most episodes, it seemed intentional. Leonard demands to know where the relationship is going, and before Penny and he can get into a serious discussion, Sheldon pushes himself into the conversation, claiming his equal hold on the relationship. After Sheldon completely derails the conversation (though it was done unintentionally), the Big honkin' elephant in the room, namely how incompatible Leonard and Penny are, remains. But I feel like this was a set up for the next episode. I'm not holding my breath, because TPTB are always dropping important storylines left and right, but to me it felt like just the beginning of exploring the dissolution of Lenny.

OMG I agree, I love the "He's not like us Penny, we're dreamers"..
I want a gif with that comment on it.
I just wish they didn't have Penny making a snide comment about leaving Sheldon in the car with the window rolled up, instead of her just smiling and saying thank you or something. Then again, that is their relationship; kinda snarky with each other.

It's true, they've always been like that with each other but at the same time I can't help but feel irritated over how under-appreciated he has suddenly become towards Penny since the beginning of this season and possibly the last from the dead goldfish comment to this one. He's already mocked and disrespected enough by every one else in the gang I don't need it from the one person who actually likes him for who he is too. Sheldon was more than right about them being dreamers, they're more alike than people like to give them credit for.

I've had enough with him being portrayed as a kid, a dead goldfish, and now a puppy dog, and as someone else once mentioned before an inanimate object. Sheldon's character is going nowhere both emotionally and with his career, at this rate I really doubt hell win the Nobel Prize; with the amount of love that Leonard gets its possible that he'll be the winner since a mediocre scientist such as himself (and even Kripke of all people) can now easily correct his calculations. I don't care how acceptable Leonard was before the Arctic incident happened he is NOT a good friend for Sheldon, the rest of the gang (sans Penny) don't seem to like for who he truly is anyway either, Leonard always gave off the feeling of tolerating him just because he was his roommate but if they weren't I sincerely doubt he'd have talked to him at all. He NEEDS new friends ASAP but sadly he seems pretty content with his nine 'friends' and doesn't seem to have any faith on gaining new ones. Also haven't you noticed just how insecure and less confident he's become with himself since season five? Or rather since Amy joined the gang.

This has been the Lenny's third proposal and still NOTHING. Penny seems to take marriage VERY lightly and Leonard is in a hurry to be in one. They will NEVER be ready to be in a serious commitment with each other and frankly aren't mature enough to be in one just yet. Penny needs to focus on her career first and Leonard needs closure with his mother and some serious psychological help. Penny's disaster of a proposal just doesn't give off the feeling that she would be happy to start a new life with him. Haven't you noticed that she's makes the absolute worst decisions with him while she's drunk. I just knew that she'd be more than relieved that he declined her proposal once she sobered up and to me that spoke volumes! I think Leonard seemed to have regretted it deep down. I still think she'll only marry him for money. Beverly was more than right about him being a needy greedy baby, he only focused on his own needs and wants and has NEVER given the time of day to Penny's when she needed him the most.
The previous night with her NCIS job cut and proposing to Leonard because he was the only thing she had to show for being in California ten years was fuzzy to Penny after boozing it. She knew that *something* had to be axed so she could concentrate more on her career. But like a disoriented pinata batter she missed the homunculus and got the Cheesecake Factory. Here's hoping 'Slugger' gets another chance at bat before the end of this season.
(01-11-2014, 07:54 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: The previous night with her NCIS job cut and proposing to Leonard because he was the only thing she had to show for being in California ten years was fuzzy to Penny after boozing it. She knew that *something* had to be axed so she could concentrate more on her career. But like a disoriented pinata batter she missed the homunculus and got the Cheesecake Factory. Here's hoping 'Slugger' gets another chance at bat before the end of this season.

More like tptb will turn Leonard around and have him do something seen as so sweet and supportive. You know they're not letting go of their stupid canons any time soon.

I just enjoy the Shenny episodes when they happen and forget about the rest.
(01-11-2014, 08:10 AM)taffinabean Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 07:54 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: The previous night with her NCIS job cut and proposing to Leonard because he was the only thing she had to show for being in California ten years was fuzzy to Penny after boozing it. She knew that *something* had to be axed so she could concentrate more on her career. But like a disoriented pinata batter she missed the homunculus and got the Cheesecake Factory. Here's hoping 'Slugger' gets another chance at bat before the end of this season.

More like tptb will turn Leonard around and have him do something seen as so sweet and supportive. You know they're not letting go of their stupid canons any time soon.

Yeah, Leonard and Penny are meant to be so who are we to stand in the way of true love? *rolls eyes* Best to do what you say and ignore.
(01-11-2014, 08:33 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote:

Yeah, Leonard and Penny are meant to be so who are we to stand in the way of true love? *rolls eyes* Best to do what you say and ignore.

At least we can enjoy a week of bliss while it lasts. Before the inevidable and obligatory Valentines Day show where tptb try to show us how deep and meaningful the canons are on the show. BARF.

I have to say this is one of my favorite Shenny episodes. Not the favorite but one of the best because Sheldon was so kind and supportive and very little snide remarks.

I mentioned on the Paradox that I thought Sheldon's remark about how he and Penny are alike because they're dreamers, was the most romantic line ever uttered on this show. Not that Sheldon said it to romance or seduce Penny, it was just the fact Sheldon isn't frivolous, and he doesn't blow smoke or play the social game. He means what he says, and it's pure. Not tainted with ulterior motive or phoniness.
It was a sweet comment laced with respect for Penny, which is something the writers on this show never allow her to have.
After all who is a bigger fan of Sheldon than Sheldon? He's telling Penny she's like him. A huge compliment from Dr. Cooper.
(01-11-2014, 09:40 PM)taffinabean Wrote:
(01-11-2014, 08:33 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote:

At least we can enjoy a week of bliss while it lasts. Before the inevidable and obligatory Valentines Day show where tptb try to show us how deep and meaningful the canons are on the show. BARF.

I have to say this is one of my favorite Shenny episodes. Not the favorite but one of the best because Sheldon was so kind and supportive and very little snide remarks.

I mentioned on the Paradox that I thought Sheldon's remark about how he and Penny are alike because they're dreamers, was the most romantic line ever uttered on this show. Not that Sheldon said it to romance or seduce Penny, it was just the fact Sheldon isn't frivolous, and he doesn't blow smoke or play the social game. He means what he says, and it's pure. Not tainted with ulterior motive or phoniness.
It was a sweet comment laced with respect for Penny, which is something the writers on this show never allow her to have.
After all who is a bigger fan of Sheldon than Sheldon? He's telling Penny she's like him. A huge compliment from Dr. Cooper.

BARF indeed. Yet another thing I can't stand about the post season 4 episodes is the vehement seizing of every opportunity they can get to make the canon relationships even more cutesy and poorly realised than they already are. Let it go, writers. We know the characters love each other. I think the growing schmaltz with every episode is very telling of the lack of effortless chemistry between the canon couples. The key to maintaining the audiences knowledge of this and other emotions is to let us see it in unexpected ways. We didn't have to see Leonard say "I love you" to Sheldon to know that there was a platonic love between them from the start. Sometimes just an argument paling into insignificance at the end of an episode, or two characters having an enthusiastic conversation/debate about something completely nonsensical (Like Vince and Howard in The Might Boosh) is all we need to know that two characters care about each other.

And Sheldon, you old charmer. See how it's done, Leonard, you ungrateful slug? (I say "ungrateful" because it never ceases to amaze me how he can't seem to come to terms with the fact that he's managed to bag himself a beautiful girlfriend. "Slug" explains itself.)
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
It seems that my enjoyment of an episode is determined by the ratio of "LOL" moments to "Awwwwww" moments. The "Awwwwww" moments are so hokey and contrived they just make me cringe.
Thanks to CassandraElise for posting that great review. I don't think I have seen one I have agreed with in years. We may have to feature this episode, I think it will be a Shenny favorite.
(01-11-2014, 10:31 PM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: It seems that my enjoyment of an episode is determined by the ratio of "LOL" moments to "Awwwwww" moments. The "Awwwwww" moments are so hokey and contrived they just make me cringe.

Yes. Also I'm more likely to go "Awwwwww" at unexpected moments.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
Not many laughs but it was better than last week.

Leonard didn't mean what he said when he said he'd support anything Penny did. It didn't bode well for them. But I wonder what will happen to her now. She's going to end up in debt, unless she finds something she can stomach to do outside of acting. I can understand that 10 years in the service industry would be very depressing though.

As for the subplots, they weren't great. Why don't they do some science stuff?! Stuart and Bernie was okay I guess. It's good to see Stuart being used, he was supposed to be a regular.

Amy seemed so bland this week, she's such a boring character now and too aggressive with Raj when he was teasing her. Some characters can do aggressive and remain funny but she can't. And to top it off she says Sheldon she has a way more off-putting personality than Bert.

Rock show, rock show, ROCK SHOOOOOOW!!

Penny coming to Sheldon's rescue was quite nice, she just couldn't leave him. Although I preferred the yoga to the dog act. I thought her reply when he said some yogi's can draw water through their genitals was very well delivered. She waited for just the right time before saying, "yeah well, I don't think we're going to get to do that today." Brilliant.