The rest of Season Grate (Eps 8.07-8.15 and 8.17)
So I noticed while looking for something to watch that a episode for I Love Lucy was on, but it had a series description instead of an episode description (you know the one's that give a short blurb about what your watching) Anyway, it got me thinking about other shows and what they would consider as a short series descriptor and here's a few that I researched:

I Love Lucy: A zany New York housewife who wants desperately to get into showbiz and her Cuban bandleader husband who has his hands full trying to dissuade her.

Friends: Three young men and three young women - of the BFF kind - live in the same apartment complex and face life and love in New York

M*A*S*H: Members of the 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital care for the injured during the Korean War and use humor to escape from the horror and depression of the situation.

How I Met Your Mother: Ted tells his kids how he met the love of his life, through flashbacks, years in the future.

Gilligan’s Island: Seven people set sail on what is scheduled to be a three-hour sightseeing tour on the charter boat The Minnow, get caught in a storm and end up stranded on an uncharted tropical island

Now as far as I can tell, these are pretty spot on for a series as a whole. No matter what episode you're watching, it still comes down to what the SERIES was about. It never waivered and it never changed it's main statement of what the series was about. Now, here's the short descriptor of TBBT:
Leonard and Sheldon are brilliant physicists - geniuses in the laboratory, but socially challenged everywhere else. Enter beautiful, street-smart neighbor, Penny, who aims to teach them a thing or two about life.

This description is currently on TBBT site as the opening statement (and used as the short series description), but now there is a qualifier they've added. I imagine since the show has drifted so far from its roots.
Leonard and Sheldon are brilliant physicists - geniuses in the laboratory, but socially challenged everywhere else. Enter beautiful, street-smart neighbor, Penny, who aims to teach them a thing or two about life. Despite their on-again, off-again relationship in the past, Leonard believes he's found true love with Penny. Even Sheldon has found a female companion, entering into a "Relationship Agreement" with neurobiologist Amy Farrah Fowler. In their free time, Leonard and Sheldon continue to enjoy frequent trips to the comic book store and fantasy role-playing games with their ever-expanding universe of friends, including fellow scientists Koothrappali, Wolowitz and Wolowitz's adorable microbiologist wife, Bernadette

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theory/about/

Amazing that even in the description how they've phrased things "Leonard believes he's found true love with Penny", "Sheldon has found a female companion", and the fact they have to make sure to tell us "In their free time, Leonard and Sheldon continue to enjoy frequent trips to the comic book store and fantasy role-playing games" not to mention how they marginalized two of the original 5 by "their ever-expanding universe of friends, including fellow scientists Koothrappali, Wolowitz and Wolowitz's adorable microbiologist wife, Bernadette.

What a bunch of trying to save face crap.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 8 users Like Nutz's post:
  • devilbk, Toad, Gamma, Tuesday Pajamas, Louise, Berliner, spuffyfan, wellplayedpenny
Quote:Despite their on-again, off-again relationship in the past, Leonard believes he's found true love with Penny. Even Sheldon has found a female companion, entering into a "Relationship Agreement" with neurobiologist Amy Farrah Fowler. In their free time, Leonard and Sheldon continue to enjoy frequent trips to the comic book store and fantasy role-playing games with their ever-expanding universe of friends, including fellow scientists Koothrappali, Wolowitz and Wolowitz's adorable microbiologist wife, Bernadette.

Great observation, Nutz. This description sounds very boring and it's chock-full of "telling, not showing." What strikes me the most is the use of past-tense. It sounds like a story that's *over.* There's a lack of any punchy verbs, any *action.*

Quote:Despite their on-again, off-again relationship in the past, Leonard believes he's found true love with Penny.

This is the end of a story, not the beginning.

Quote:Even Sheldon has found a female companion, entering into a "Relationship Agreement" with neurobiologist Amy Farrah Fowler.

Ditto. My response would be "And? So? What happens next?"

"Leonard and Sheldon are roommates. Leonard has a fiancee named Penny. They have friends named Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice. So-and-so is married to so-and-so and they have a friend called so-and-so."

That's a Facebook page, not a storyline. There's no action, no "hook", no PLOT. It's like reading those long lists of "begats" in the Bible.

This blurb tells us absolutely nothing about the characters' goals, plans, conflicts, activities, motivations. Their *sole* characteristic is "having a girlfriend" or "having a wife." It's all passive voice. There's no indication of anything *happening.*

Quote:with their ever-expanding universe of friends, including fellow scientists Koothrappali, Wolowitz and Wolowitz's adorable microbiologist wife, Bernadette.

This implies that H, R, and B were all added to the cast at the same time and are of equal importance and prominence. It definitely makes R and H sound like minor characters. Bernadette's profession is mentioned, but it doesn't say "fellow scientists Koothrappali the astrophysicist and Wolowitz the engineer"??? That's outrageous. We are told *absolutely nothing* about Raj except that he's a "fellow scientist" and we're told *absolutely nothing* about Howard except that he has an "adorable wife"? What makes her adorable? Says who? So what? Why should we care?

No TV executive would give the green light to a show with this description. If I were a tough-minded businessperson looking to make money and pull-in the important segment of the viewership, there's no way I'd accept something so generic-sounding. If someone brought this idea to me, the TV Programming Boss-person, I'd rip them apart:

Who are these people and why should we care?

What is the theme?

What does a typical episode look like?

Who are Koothrappali and Wolowitz, because we're told absolutely nothing about them. Are they young? Old? Nice? Not-nice? Attractive or unnattractive? What is their function in the story?

Why is this blurb written in the past tense?

Why should I take your word for it that a particular character is "street-smart" or "adorable"?

What is the Relationship Agreement and why should the viewer be interested in that?"

What is the source of humor?

Bottom line, this is not a synopsis, it's a recitation of relationships, like we're reading the Cal-Tech staff e-mail directory or something.

Quote:Leonard and Sheldon continue to enjoy frequent trips to the comic book store and fantasy role-playing games

Unless this is specifically being pitched as a show for and about geek culture, that's about as interesting as "Leonard and Sheldon enjoy going to the library, or sometimes they go to McDonalds, or sometimes they go to the movies." Nothing in this blurb mentions or celebrates geek-culture or identifies the guys as sci-fi fans, because TPTB want to distance themselves from geek culture while simultaneously using and exploiting it.

A good story can be summed up in very few words: Hunt the Shark. Find the Ring. Wake the Princess. Escape the Prison. This, on the other hand, is all wishy-washy adjectives and no verbs.

This show would never, ever have lasted if it had debuted in its current format. And I find it kind of offensive that characters who were there from Day 1 (H&R), now merit less focus than a character who was added later.

Nobody would be eager to watch the show after reading this blurb. As a piece of writing, this wouldn't pass muster in a high school English class.

ETA: Amy's full name and profession are mentioned. H & R's professions aren't specified at all, they're just "scientists", and their full names aren't mentioned. Even though they're often referred-to by their surnames in the show, that's still icky and really shows where the priorities are, now. So, we are definitely given more information about late-comers A and B than about two characters who were central to the cast from Day 1.

On a slightly different topic:

I don't watch either of these shows, so correct me if I'm wrong, but:

HIMYM had a strange ending that a lot of people disliked. TAAHM's ending was a big FU. Therefore, it seems reasonable to guess that BBT has likewise become some type of "Gotcha!" and Lorre is just toying with the audience, now. I think TPTB are just pushing people's buttons and pitting different factions of the fandom against each other, for the hell of it. I'd almost say that there's little point in trying to analyze what happens on BBT, now, because it defies analysis. TPTB are not operating with sincere intentions, now. There's no rhyme or reason to this stuff. A message of "Romance conquers all" might be sappy and disappointing, but I don't think they're even sincerely committed to that, anymore. The characters and the audience are puppets. I think Lorre *wants* to see the viewership frantically speculating and worrying about "What does this mean? What's happening?", et cetera. He's just pouring water on an ant-hill. Lorre has some type of resentment against the world at large and wants to hit people where it hurts.

This show does not care about the characters or the viewers any more than a toddler cares about ripping-up the paper dolls they are playing with. IMO it's not even a show with a *bad* message anymore; it's a cash-grab with a side order of capriciousness. You can't understand or rebut something that's inherently nonsensical. It's all a big "Bazinga! Joke's on you!" now.

I mean, why would Lorre even bother with mocking Sheen or baiting the Shennies or whatever? "The best revenge is living well." He's already had the last word, in the form of money and influence. He already has success. You'd think that would make a person feel more tolerant and generous, not more resentful. You'd think there would be room under the big tent for every type of fan. Non-canon shippers and other "dissidents" have no power to change this show, so why should Lorre even care? He's killing a fly with a hammer.
The following 10 users Like Louise's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Nutz, queenoftheDales, Berliner, devilbk, SpaceAnJL, spuffyfan, Trust No One, FlyingSolo, Toad
(02-21-2015, 03:32 PM)Louise Wrote: Great observation, Nutz. This description sounds very boring and it's chock-full of "telling, not showing." What strikes me the most is the use of past-tense. It sounds like a story that's *over.* There's a lack of any punchy verbs, any *action.*

This is the end of a story, not the beginning.

Ditto. My response would be "And? So? What happens next?"

"Leonard and Sheldon are roommates. Leonard has a fiancee named Penny. They have friends named Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice. So-and-so is married to so-and-so and they have a friend called so-and-so."

That's a Facebook page, not a storyline. There's no action, no "hook", no PLOT. It's like reading those long lists of "begats" in the Bible.

This blurb tells us absolutely nothing about the characters' goals, plans, conflicts, activities, motivations. Their *sole* characteristic is "having a girlfriend" or "having a wife." It's all passive voice. There's no indication of anything *happening.*

This implies that H, R, and B were all added to the cast at the same time and are of equal importance and prominence. It definitely makes R and H sound like minor characters. Bernadette's profession is mentioned, but it doesn't say "fellow scientists Koothrappali the astrophysicist and Wolowitz the engineer"??? That's outrageous. We are told *absolutely nothing* about Raj except that he's a "fellow scientist" and we're told *absolutely nothing* about Howard except that he has an "adorable wife"? What makes her adorable? Says who? So what? Why should we care?

No TV executive would give the green light to a show with this description. If I were a tough-minded businessperson looking to make money and pull-in the important segment of the viewership, there's no way I'd accept something so generic-sounding. If someone brought this idea to me, the TV Programming Boss-person, I'd rip them apart:

Who are these people and why should we care?

What is the theme?

What does a typical episode look like?

Who are Koothrappali and Wolowitz, because we're told absolutely nothing about them. Are they young? Old? Nice? Not-nice? Attractive or unnattractive? What is their function in the story?

Why is this blurb written in the past tense?

Why should I take your word for it that a particular character is "street-smart" or "adorable"?

What is the Relationship Agreement and why should the viewer be interested in that?"

What is the source of humor?

Bottom line, this is not a synopsis, it's a recitation of relationships, like we're reading the Cal-Tech staff e-mail directory or something.

Unless this is specifically being pitched as a show for and about geek culture, that's about as interesting as "Leonard and Sheldon enjoy going to the library, or sometimes they go to McDonalds, or sometimes they go to the movies." Nothing in this blurb mentions or celebrates geek-culture or identifies the guys as sci-fi fans, because TPTB want to distance themselves from geek culture while simultaneously using and exploiting it.

A good story can be summed up in very few words: Hunt the Shark. Find the Ring. Wake the Princess. Escape the Prison. This, on the other hand, is all wishy-washy adjectives and no verbs.

This show would never, ever have lasted if it had debuted in its current format. And I find it kind of offensive that characters who were there from Day 1 (H&R), now merit less focus than a character who was added later.

Nobody would be eager to watch the show after reading this blurb. As a piece of writing, this wouldn't pass muster in a high school English class.

ETA: Amy's full name and profession are mentioned. H & R's professions aren't specified at all, they're just "scientists", and their full names aren't mentioned. Even though they're often referred-to by their surnames in the show, that's still icky and really shows where the priorities are, now. So, we are definitely given more information about late-comers A and B than about two characters who were central to the cast from Day 1.

On a slightly different topic:

I don't watch either of these shows, so correct me if I'm wrong, but:

HIMYM had a strange ending that a lot of people disliked. TAAHM's ending was a big FU. Therefore, it seems reasonable to guess that BBT has likewise become some type of "Gotcha!" and Lorre is just toying with the audience, now. I think TPTB are just pushing people's buttons and pitting different factions of the fandom against each other, for the hell of it. I'd almost say that there's little point in trying to analyze what happens on BBT, now, because it defies analysis. TPTB are not operating with sincere intentions, now. There's no rhyme or reason to this stuff. A message of "Romance conquers all" might be sappy and disappointing, but I don't think they're even sincerely committed to that, anymore. The characters and the audience are puppets. I think Lorre *wants* to see the viewership frantically speculating and worrying about "What does this mean? What's happening?", et cetera. He's just pouring water on an ant-hill. Lorre has some type of resentment against the world at large and wants to hit people where it hurts.

This show does not care about the characters or the viewers any more than a toddler cares about ripping-up the paper dolls they are playing with. IMO it's not even a show with a *bad* message anymore; it's a cash-grab with a side order of capriciousness. You can't understand or rebut something that's inherently nonsensical. It's all a big "Bazinga! Joke's on you!" now.

I mean, why would Lorre even bother with mocking Sheen or baiting the Shennies or whatever? "The best revenge is living well." He's already had the last word, in the form of money and influence. He already has success. You'd think that would make a person feel more tolerant and generous, not more resentful. You'd think there would be room under the big tent for every type of fan. Non-canon shippers and other "dissidents" have no power to change this show, so why should Lorre even care? He's killing a fly with a hammer.

This has been my point Louise. Where is the conflict with these Ships? They are just going marry off these couples and then what? Where is the fun in that? This is why in fics, I want Sheldon and Penny involved with other characters as well. It's not as fun to me if these Ships on shows and fic get a free ride to the end. I'm just going to end with I really think Lorre is a bad guy.
"Leonard and Sheldon are brilliant physicists - geniuses in the laboratory, but socially challenged everywhere else. Enter beautiful, street-smart neighbor, Penny, who aims to teach them a thing or two about life. Despite their on-again, off-again relationship in the past, Leonard believes he's found true love with Penny. Even Sheldon has found a female companion, entering into a "Relationship Agreement" with neurobiologist Amy Farrah Fowler. In their free time, Leonard and Sheldon continue to enjoy frequent trips to the comic book store and fantasy role-playing games with their ever-expanding universe of friends, including fellow scientists Koothrappali, Wolowitz and Wolowitz's adorable microbiologist wife, Bernadette"

The very structure of the paragraph sets up the tiers of casting. Sheldon, Leonard and Penny are lead. Amy is on the cusp of lead as she is under the cap of 'even Sheldon' which puts her as an extension rather than a point, BUT she's labeled as a companion and there is a lot of space given to her write up (rather ironic that even in a write up it takes a lot of b.s. to explain Amy's presence on the show). More importantly, she is above the generalized statement which splits the cast in two.

The fact that we go back to Sheldon and Leonard with a secondary introduction to their extracurricular activities at the comic book store before making a generalized comment about their friends and then mentioning Koothrappali and Wolowitz places Howard and Raj as an extension to the background rather than as main cast members. Also, notice that these two don't merit a first name. This keeps them formal, distanced, unimportant. This is enhanced by their lack of description. Leonard and Sheldon are 'brilliant', Penny is 'beautiful, street smart', Amy is a 'companion' and Bernadette, 'adorable'. Yes, Raj and Howard are labeled 'scientists' but that's nothing tangibly personal to give them individuality. Yes, there's the implication that they are part of the 'universe of friends' that role play and go to the comic book store but by using the word 'including' after such a generalized statement of 'universe of friends' they become a part of an interchangeable cast which is compounded by the fact that they don't have first names.

This really makes me curious as to how the contract negotiations for MR and particularly MB will go. Given the structure of this write up, MB is more in line with the lead actors than the rest and therefore she should expect compensation that reflects that. There really seems to be an 'Amy is a secondary character *wink*wink*' as we've seen a whole whack of story lines center around or heavily involve Amy. Not that I'm expecting her to rake in the one million that the top three make, but if I was to base the salary tier on what I've read above, she should be making at least as much as SH and KN--particularly as the gents were given a take it or you're written out of the show ultimatum. Amy's position in the paragraph and her write up suggests she is more critical to the show than they are. Granted, we've all said that apart from the big three everyone else is expendable. True, but still I do think this gives us a better view of how TPTB see the construct of their show.

For instance, Leonard is mentioned before Sheldon as he has top-billing even though Sheldon is the breakout character and JP winner of four Emmys. Then it's the mentioning of the Lenny, with its 'on-again off-again' description which gives it the sense that it is the central pillar of the show as it links the past to the present. The only monkey wrench in it is the suggestion that 'Leonard believes' instead of knows he's found 'true love' but I don't believe for a moment that Lenny isn't anything other than end game.

There are references to comic books and role playing games but they are secondary to the two central relationships. 'Geeky stuff' is relegated to their 'free time' as opposed to being one of the defining and distinguishing parts of the early seasons. Note, there is no mention of science beyond their occupations. No corn starch experiments here.

This is really a piss-poor write-up. It's plotting a linear course, telling us how to interpret what we see and to sit back and follow the plot even though they've clearly spelled out the end game. Perhaps this is saying that the frame of the show, the Lenny, relationships, etc, are really irrelevant to what is important—the jokes—as this is first and foremost a sitcom. Only the use of melodramatic 'sentimental' plots/scenes in later seasons counter the argument. So that leaves me with the conclusion that TPTB are promoting a formulaic show with nothing unpredictable occurring. Something safe (which dev suggested would be favorable to syndication).

When we look at the original line, "Leonard and Sheldon are brilliant physicists - geniuses in the laboratory, but socially challenged everywhere else. Enter beautiful, street-smart neighbor, Penny, who aims to teach them a thing or two about life", it introduces us to the characters and sets the scene for the show's premise. The additions to this assert a central interpretation which equates Penny's 'life lessons' with romantic relationships. Something which would NOT interest me if I was flipping through the television guide.

No wonder I feel like an idiot. I fell for the old bait and switch.

(Sorry for being so babbly here Blush but this really interests me. Thanks for bringing this up, Nutz!)
Let's go exploring!
The following 9 users Like wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Gamma, FlyingMonkey, Louise, FlyingSolo, Trust No One, Toad, Nutz, Berliner
I think it was written by a staffer, not a producer and definitely not a writer.
(02-22-2015, 09:16 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: "Leonard and Sheldon are brilliant physicists - geniuses in the laboratory, but socially challenged everywhere else. Enter beautiful, street-smart neighbor, Penny, who aims to teach them a thing or two about life. Despite their on-again, off-again relationship in the past, Leonard believes he's found true love with Penny. Even Sheldon has found a female companion, entering into a "Relationship Agreement" with neurobiologist Amy Farrah Fowler. In their free time, Leonard and Sheldon continue to enjoy frequent trips to the comic book store and fantasy role-playing games with their ever-expanding universe of friends, including fellow scientists Koothrappali, Wolowitz and Wolowitz's adorable microbiologist wife, Bernadette"

The very structure of the paragraph sets up the tiers of casting. Sheldon, Leonard and Penny are lead. Amy is on the cusp of lead as she is under the cap of 'even Sheldon' which puts her as an extension rather than a point, BUT she's labeled as a companion and there is a lot of space given to her write up (rather ironic that even in a write up it takes a lot of b.s. to explain Amy's presence on the show). More importantly, she is above the generalized statement which splits the cast in two.

The fact that we go back to Sheldon and Leonard with a secondary introduction to their extracurricular activities at the comic book store before making a generalized comment about their friends and then mentioning Koothrappali and Wolowitz places Howard and Raj as an extension to the background rather than as main cast members. Also, notice that these two don't merit a first name. This keeps them formal, distanced, unimportant. This is enhanced by their lack of description. Leonard and Sheldon are 'brilliant', Penny is 'beautiful, street smart', Amy is a 'companion' and Bernadette, 'adorable'. Yes, Raj and Howard are labeled 'scientists' but that's nothing tangibly personal to give them individuality. Yes, there's the implication that they are part of the 'universe of friends' that role play and go to the comic book store but by using the word 'including' after such a generalized statement of 'universe of friends' they become a part of an interchangeable cast which is compounded by the fact that they don't have first names.

This really makes me curious as to how the contract negotiations for MR and particularly MB will go. Given the structure of this write up, MB is more in line with the lead actors than the rest and therefore she should expect compensation that reflects that. There really seems to be an 'Amy is a secondary character *wink*wink*' as we've seen a whole whack of story lines center around or heavily involve Amy. Not that I'm expecting her to rake in the one million that the top three make, but if I was to base the salary tier on what I've read above, she should be making at least as much as SH and KN--particularly as the gents were given a take it or you're written out of the show ultimatum. Amy's position in the paragraph and her write up suggests she is more critical to the show than they are. Granted, we've all said that apart from the big three everyone else is expendable. True, but still I do think this gives us a better view of how TPTB see the construct of their show.

For instance, Leonard is mentioned before Sheldon as he has top-billing even though Sheldon is the breakout character and JP winner of four Emmys. Then it's the mentioning of the Lenny, with its 'on-again off-again' description which gives it the sense that it is the central pillar of the show as it links the past to the present. The only monkey wrench in it is the suggestion that 'Leonard believes' instead of knows he's found 'true love' but I don't believe for a moment that Lenny isn't anything other than end game.

There are references to comic books and role playing games but they are secondary to the two central relationships. 'Geeky stuff' is relegated to their 'free time' as opposed to being one of the defining and distinguishing parts of the early seasons. Note, there is no mention of science beyond their occupations. No corn starch experiments here.

This is really a piss-poor write-up. It's plotting a linear course, telling us how to interpret what we see and to sit back and follow the plot even though they've clearly spelled out the end game. Perhaps this is saying that the frame of the show, the Lenny, relationships, etc, are really irrelevant to what is important—the jokes—as this is first and foremost a sitcom. Only the use of melodramatic 'sentimental' plots/scenes in later seasons counter the argument. So that leaves me with the conclusion that TPTB are promoting a formulaic show with nothing unpredictable occurring. Something safe (which dev suggested would be favorable to syndication).

When we look at the original line, "Leonard and Sheldon are brilliant physicists - geniuses in the laboratory, but socially challenged everywhere else. Enter beautiful, street-smart neighbor, Penny, who aims to teach them a thing or two about life", it introduces us to the characters and sets the scene for the show's premise. The additions to this assert a central interpretation which equates Penny's 'life lessons' with romantic relationships. Something which would NOT interest me if I was flipping through the television guide.

No wonder I feel like an idiot. I fell for the old bait and switch.

(Sorry for being so babbly here Blush but this really interests me. Thanks for bringing this up, Nutz!)

I've mentioned before that TPTB are going about things very strangely if they think MB should not be in line with the big three's salaries. I'd be interested in hearing their arguments against giving MB the same money when the Amy character sure seems to be very central to the show. Whether TPTB like it or not, they have a big 4 now and not a big three.
I would be shocked if MB didn't demand at least a million an episode. Unfortunately, Amy has more screen time then Penny and maybe even Leonard (It has become the Amy show, with her boyfriend Sheldon).

I would love to see them say she's not worth a million an episode, but I don't see them not giving her at least what the big three are making. In fact I expect they'll bend over backwards to keep her. It's getting obvious that she's become the Science advisor for the show, since we only see her "at work" and being scientific. The rest of the stuff is just "the boys being silly playing with boards and stars.

Although, let's face it the way the Demographic ratings are falling, they would be stupid to pay her that much. i can't see that all important demographic they base everything on ever getting back to the high 6's or low 7's. (The peak of the show), heck, right now I think the average for Season 8 is 4.3 and falling.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Berliner
Okay the promo shots are out for 8.17 The Colonization Application. If you'd like to check them out they can be found at the below link, but be warned they are very canon, relationshippy, OOC, non-vintage, etc.

http://www.spoilertv.com/2015/03/the-big...e-817.html

My hero...
[Image: bbcd6e181dd027d014bf54fd1cf9fd4c2cb01d24...4365a8.jpg]

[Image: you-gonna-die-human-turtle-meme.jpg]
The following 3 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Nutz, Toad, queenoftheDales
Heh, Volde-Tort.
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas
(02-21-2015, 09:33 AM)Nutz Wrote: So I noticed while looking for something to watch that a episode for I Love Lucy was on, but it had a series description instead of an episode description (you know the one's that give a short blurb about what your watching) Anyway, it got me thinking about other shows and what they would consider as a short series descriptor and here's a few that I researched:

I Love Lucy: A zany New York housewife who wants desperately to get into showbiz and her Cuban bandleader husband who has his hands full trying to dissuade her.

Friends: Three young men and three young women - of the BFF kind - live in the same apartment complex and face life and love in New York

M*A*S*H: Members of the 4077th Mobile Army Surgical Hospital care for the injured during the Korean War and use humor to escape from the horror and depression of the situation.

How I Met Your Mother: Ted tells his kids how he met the love of his life, through flashbacks, years in the future.

Gilligan’s Island: Seven people set sail on what is scheduled to be a three-hour sightseeing tour on the charter boat The Minnow, get caught in a storm and end up stranded on an uncharted tropical island

Now as far as I can tell, these are pretty spot on for a series as a whole. No matter what episode you're watching, it still comes down to what the SERIES was about. It never waivered and it never changed it's main statement of what the series was about. Now, here's the short descriptor of TBBT:
Leonard and Sheldon are brilliant physicists - geniuses in the laboratory, but socially challenged everywhere else. Enter beautiful, street-smart neighbor, Penny, who aims to teach them a thing or two about life.

This description is currently on TBBT site as the opening statement (and used as the short series description), but now there is a qualifier they've added. I imagine since the show has drifted so far from its roots.
Leonard and Sheldon are brilliant physicists - geniuses in the laboratory, but socially challenged everywhere else. Enter beautiful, street-smart neighbor, Penny, who aims to teach them a thing or two about life. Despite their on-again, off-again relationship in the past, Leonard believes he's found true love with Penny. Even Sheldon has found a female companion, entering into a "Relationship Agreement" with neurobiologist Amy Farrah Fowler. In their free time, Leonard and Sheldon continue to enjoy frequent trips to the comic book store and fantasy role-playing games with their ever-expanding universe of friends, including fellow scientists Koothrappali, Wolowitz and Wolowitz's adorable microbiologist wife, Bernadette

http://www.cbs.com/shows/big_bang_theory/about/

Amazing that even in the description how they've phrased things "Leonard believes he's found true love with Penny", "Sheldon has found a female companion", and the fact they have to make sure to tell us "In their free time, Leonard and Sheldon continue to enjoy frequent trips to the comic book store and fantasy role-playing games" not to mention how they marginalized two of the original 5 by "their ever-expanding universe of friends, including fellow scientists Koothrappali, Wolowitz and Wolowitz's adorable microbiologist wife, Bernadette.

What a bunch of trying to save face crap.

the original goal of this post was to point out series descriptions that you would see on DirecTV, or cable guides and what expectations a viewer might have for episodes of that show. I gave examples of other series descriptions I found for shows and found that for the most point any episode somebody watched, (no matter if it was season 1,3 or 8) It would still feel fit the description that was given for that show.

Now we get to BBT and its description "Leonard and Sheldon are brilliant physicists - geniuses in the laboratory, but socially challenged everywhere else. Enter beautiful, street-smart neighbor, Penny, who aims to teach them a thing or two about life."

From that description I would expect that the show (no matter what episode) would fall under the umbrella of Penny slowly teaching Leonard and Sheldon about how to navigate real life (most likely in a one step forward two steps back formula), maybe a romantic triangle in that context, and assuming that the teacher would also be taught in certain instances. (Plus a little odd Couple tomfoolery)

Unfortunately, I sidetracked myself and went off in a completely different direction. So let me get back to the original question I had. Do you feel like this description of the show is accurate? Is the show still really about this overall principle statement? Cause TPTB say it's still true to its roots, that the series description still is what the show is about (just with some organic growth). I say bullcrap.