10 reasons Sheldon & Amy should break up
(10-05-2014, 04:18 AM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: 10 reasons Sheldon & Amy should break up

Yes you saw it here first HQers. Check out this What Culture article about Sheldon and Amy. I don't agree with everything he posted (H/B and L/P having chemistry for example but I do think S/A have the least). This is the first time I have agreed with something about this relationship elsewhere on the internet. EVER! These two are far better as separate characters than together.

http://whatculture.com/tv/the-big-bang-t...eak-up.php

[Image: sheldon-amy.jpg]

When Amy first came on the scene, I wanted to like her, but the more I saw of her, the worst she got, and the more Sheldon's character degraded into someone completely unrecognizable compared to earlier seasons.  Yup, TPTB had to totally rewrite Sheldon in order to force him into a relationship with someone like Amy.
The biggest offenses, to me, are the complete lack of chemistry, and Amy's constant self-serving manipulation (very like Leonard, in fact, she basically IS the female clone of Leonard.  They even dress alike - all frumpy).
So this kind of fits in absolutely nowhere, but I know my peeps here would get a kick out of it.  I read an article last night calling Howardette one of the worst nonsensical on-screen couples (I'd actually nominate Lenny for that dubious honor, but whatever).  So thinking of all this, I fell asleep & dreamed up a Lorre/Prady-worthy Shamy proposal:
Sheldon is dressed up as the Mad Hatter from Alice in Wonderland.  Amy is wearing her usual Goodwill frumpwear.  They're at a tavern & it's St. Patrick's Day, so everyone else is drunk.  Sheldon proposes by pulling a huge box out of his frock coat big enough to hold one of those old-fashioned alarm clocks, and says, "I want to hold you for the rest of my life."  Amy says the steep drop-off is like an abandoned well, then she tries to get Penny to climb down inside with her.  Penny asks if there are any bodies at the bottom, and Amy says, "There could be," and starts talking about how you could age a corpse to make it look like it had been down there for a while.
When I woke up, I had to laugh because apparently, even in my sleep, I've got a snarky weird sense of humor.  Then I thought that for all the lifeless, creepy, miserable "romantic" scenes we've gotten from TBBT, this might very well turn out better that whatever the canon proposal will be.
The following 3 users Like Daedaleopsis's post:
  • Jela, Nutz, Tuesday Pajamas
Flying Monkey said it best in the grumblebox. To paraphrase, it's like being told the last chapter half-way through the story. We knew the end of this fucker years ago. Season 5 and 6 made it obnoxiously obvious that the endgame of this show was going to be marriage and babies for the couples that existed then. No surprises, no happy single characters, not even an asexual relationship for the posterboy for romantic disinterest. They had to throw his character and sense of purpose under the steamrolling, money-caked, white heteronormative, saccharine-coated bus as well.

And there HASN'T been any surprises. It's plodded on exactly as broadcast years ago, to its white-picket-fenced conventional ideal. Perhaps this is comforting to some people, but personally I wanted Sheldon's endgame to be something higher and more unique than marriage to a self-admittedly scheming, self-pitying character, after having been forced/tricked out of his home to live in Penny's old flat.

Gods protect Sheldon from his friends...
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 5 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Gamma, Nutz, Tuesday Pajamas, FlyingMonkey, chaotic temptation