Like an old married couple
(01-02-2015, 04:37 AM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: I just love this PARALLELS gifset by Pennyblossoms on tumblr.

[Image: tumblr_nh8qgrgkf11u6oflzo2_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nh8qgrgkf11u6oflzo1_250.gif]
[Image: tumblr_nh8qgrgkf11u6oflzo3_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nh8qgrgkf11u6oflzo4_250.gif]
[Image: tumblr_nh8qgrgkf11u6oflzo6_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nh8qgrgkf11u6oflzo5_r1_250.gif]
[Image: tumblr_nh8qgrgkf11u6oflzo8_r1_250.gif][Image: tumblr_nh8qgrgkf11u6oflzo7_r1_250.gif]

Sorry to jump in here..but I just noticed (and you probably have, as well) that the top that Penny's wearing in the hospital waiting room while she and Sheldon are waiting on news about Leonard, is very similar to the one she wore when Sheldon took her for her dislocated shoulder. That'd be cool if it was intentional.. Smile

[quote='ricardo shillyshally' pid='10338' dateline='1424009332']
fav quote of the week>'Sheldon: Stale pastry is hollow succour to a man who is bereft of ostrich.
Penny: Just say thank you.'[Image: THE-BIG-BANG-THEORY-The-Zarnecki-Incursi...e-19-4.jpg]

Geez, just looking at these two together in a screenshot speaks VOLUMES. If I didn't already know what these two were about, I'd sure as hell would wanna find out!

(04-11-2015, 10:52 PM)ricardo shillyshally Wrote: [Image: Shenny-moments-3x10-penny-and-sheldon-93...24-239.gif] My idea has always been, if you are obsessional, choose your obsessions. But sometimes they choose you!

If Leonard doesn't look like drying paint in every scene with Shenny...I'll say it again about Lenny: WTF?!?

(05-27-2015, 05:50 AM)Ratman77 Wrote: “Love. Who can explain it ?”
Frank Langella in “Cutthroat Island” (1996)

“Nothing is impossible. Only mathematically improbable.”
Sean Connery in “The Avengers” (1998)

“Best relationships, the ones that last, are frequently the ones that are rooted in friendship.”
Gillian Anderson in “The X-Files”-Episode “The Rain-King”(1999)

Hello, everybody !

I am from Germany (so sorry for my bad English- the length of the text, and the slight incoherence) and (oh wonder) I am a man.
When I found this HQ (thousand compliments and thanks to the creators) I want to take the chance to write my (subjective) opinion to the (unofficial) relationship of Penny (“Holy crap on toast”) and Sheldon (“Bazinga”) Cooper. (In detail and in general/ I hope it is OK that I post it under “Like an old married couple”).

At first: I am not a nerd (only a IQ of 100) not an romantic (well, a little bit), and I look the show because my interest is focused on the comedy and the psychological side.
(OK, and because I am in love with Kaley Cuoco---only a little bit of course).

My opinion:
When Penny and Sheldon would come together, they would be one of the (rare) quintessential couples in TV-history. They would proof once more (not only for television-in real life too) that the best relationships based on the opposites which created the deepest feelings for each other.
They would be like Steed and Peel in "The Avengers", Mulder and Scully in "The X-Files" and Castle and Beckett.
All this pairs starts as best friends and realised by the years that there was more than that.

In my eyes Sheldons and Pennys relationship was never (like us "The Intimacy Accerlation" believe wants to make) like brother and sister, or mother and son. For this there are to close and to…ambiguously.
If I meet siblings, who interacts like them, I would think: “There seems to be something wrong with them.”
And if there be mother and son: “That’s Norma and Norman Bates.” Also for a substitute mother-relationship it is to flirting.
No, no. By this two there is something back of it. And that enormous. (I had often suspected: They are in love, but do not know it by themselves.)

Well, I was convinced that something is there, under the surface , which would work over time to the top.
It was exciting to see how these two so different characters learned to accept and to like each other.
(One of the reasons why I was following the show).

The facts that Sheldon was peeping when he helped her to dress ( my God , who would not ? ),
that he suggested her to wear her “sexy Jeans” for their appearance at the court,
and that he asked her for “some hiney” (supposedly maked a typing error/for me it was a “Freudian”) proved that is not asexual or uninterested.
How his friends, he finds her attractive and beautiful. There was no doubt.

And at Pennys side I thought to recognize something like hidden jealousy when Beverly kissed Sheldon or women like Ramona ( or even at the beginning Amy ) appeared.
No one can convince me that there was coincidences.
(And no sister becomes a semi-heart attack/orgasm when her brother is wearing a black suit)

In general: I don’t like the actual way of the show, and it is strange as the figures have changed in the course of the time, and how the producers handle with it.
With regard to the eight season (I have not seen yet) Lorre and Prady declared:
“Penny becomes more self-confident.”

And I was thinking: "Ähh…what please?"

Since the first episode, (the wonderful) Penny was the most self-confident figure of all.
She came to Pasadena with a dream and a plan to realise it.
And what was important: If there was a failure, she did not surrender.
Beside the fact, that she is beautiful, she had the nature of a fighter. That was one of the reasons why I liked her.
And what is now? Because she lost one role she throws down everything, drank only, and take a job
A) from before the speech never was
B) from she has no notion.

Correct me, if I am wrong, but weren’t there episodes in the seventh season, where she said, that she could not imagine a marriage with Leonard?
And than, she could not get fast enough on her knees, and accepted the engagement?
Sorry, but that is incoherent to the character!
(Her hair cut -well it is okay-, her clothes -only dark colours-, grey, black, deep blue.
Where is the nice warm Penny-this sunshine-character gone? I want her back!!!)

The same thing by Sheldon.
In the seventh season Leonard said, that before Amy appearance Sheldon had no personality.
Here too: "What?"
Sheldon was of beginning the strongest personality of the Nerd-Bunch. Like Penny he had his work, and his dream which he wanted to make it real, and -important!- he was with himself completely in pure!
In fact, his three friends had problems, not him. He was contented with his life.
And now, he want to lay down the physic and turn over to geology?
This one thing is the reason for a crisis?
The physics was Sheldons religion-the "String-Theory" his holy grail.

Here too: Incoherence!
Well, when Amy offered him to move together, he fled.
There was still recognisable a little bit of the original Sheldon.
And than, only eight episodes later, he said to Amy "that it must be love?"
Excuse me, but in my eyes the characters of Penny and Sheldon were completely distorted.

I have read, that someone had written, that Sheldon becomes childish. From my POV that is not correct. Childish he was at the start of the show, in a positive way. He was (like Stephen Hawking) a great child with a genius mind, and that was a very important part of his character.

Look, there is a line from my compatriot Erich Kästner:
“Only who is growing up, and internally stays child, is really a human.”

And that was absolutely the case by Sheldon.
Remember, he borrowed Penny money,
He drove her to the hospital ,
Gave Raj the job, etc.

(In fact he was the most human of the clique-hidden under his habits)

In season eight he not becomes childish……he becomes SILLY!

That is not character development. It is the attempt to change this two figures.

Now Penny and Sheldon are insuch way, as Howard, Leonard and Raj at the beginning were.
Complicated-loaded and uncertainly/unsure.
The problems have them only since their relationships with their (wrong) partners.

No, I stand to my opinion: Penny and Sheldon would be the real and perfect pair. It could be a wonderful love/hate-romance, marked by affection, balance, understanding and annoying. Sophisticated and funny at the same time.

Penny and Sheldon must not come together (only and only and only) in the sexual way. When he or her accept the hidden emotions for the other and speak it out-THAT would be (for me) a great character-development---much more better than endless bedscenes. The figures could discover new sides of themselves and join together (except for the chaotic and funny side) in a respectful sensitive way. (The sexual could come eventually, because- in my opinion- Sheldon is not asexual, but has a sexual phobia)-(I prefer that Penny would make the first step---yes, I know, I am a little macho, he he)
The scenes Penny and Sheldon were out together (for shopping for example) were some of the strongest and funniest of the whole show. This could be the patterns for the scenes where there are a couple (It never would be boring with this two).
Some people says a relationship would change both totally to much. Why that? Look at Howard for example. Since he is married with Bernadette, it has changed him only in the way that he is not longer the horny womaniser anymore. In the interaction with his friends he is the same funny guy like before. And at his work he is still good, even better. Why could it not work in the same way by Penny and Sheldon? I don’t understand this. (In my eyes, Howard and Bernadette are the only pair that was credible from the beginning--- unfortunately, the writers are in the process to ruin this both too—a shame)

If the producers and authors from "The big bang theory" do not take this great chance it would be disappointing and illogical. It would never ruin the show but could create new comedian highs, because there is so much funny potential.

The nasty thing, is that the authors are fully aware about their chemistry.
They say "No", but put into the show further this nice "Shenny-scenes" to hold the Shenny-Shippers by TV season by season.
It is a pure cash-machine, and as if not was quite bad enough, now the authors also come along with this "we are like siblings"- nonsense.

Yes, the scene have a strong Shenny-Power and is good played by Mrs. Cuocco Sweeting and Mr. Parsons.
The old Shenny-chemistry, the old magic.....it was still there.
But its also an illogical and ridiculous thing.
When they consider each other as brother and sister, why they make then a "Love-experiment".(???) Very logical (Sarcasm!)
The whole scene cannot take seriously, because the texts and the way the scene was played completely contradict.

Am I the only one, who had the impression that they would most like to kiss each other?

Especially in the second part, as Penny started to smile?
Her emotional expression and Sheldons petrified face on the other side....it looked like methods to control themselves and not speak out what they really felt.
There was a thrust and an intimacy which we never will find by the other (cannon) Ships.

In other series, the later pairs starts as a sibling-like relationship (Mulder and Scully or Lee Adama and Kara Trays) and becomes more and more romantically.

In the case of Penny and Sheldon there was from the beginning a hidden ( but great) romantically attraction and a easily recognisable sexual tension. And NOW the writers want to explain this as a sibling- relationship?

To the writers: THAT IS STUPID!!!

I once read somewhere an unwritten law:

"If you like someone you appreciate her/his good qualities. If you love someone, you accepted her/his bad ones."

And that is not fact by Penny/Leonard and Sheldon/Amy. By this pairs are too much tries to change or to impress the other.

(If somebody holds it for necessary to change his/her partner, than the partner is a “project”- not a “love interest”).

Penny and Sheldon have something never tried. When they have a scene together, they are always themselves. There are no masks, no lies, no hidden intentions. They like and respect each other as they are-help each other-support each other-----teasing each other at the same time---and are always on hand without being asked if the other needs help. On THIS principles good marriages are based.

In fact there is no logical reason against a relationship between them-only the displeasure of the creators, authors and the cast.
(Kaley Cuocco said about the Shenny-shippers: “What’s wrong with this people ?”
(Mrs. Cuocco-Sweeting, that was a little bit insensitively….well I love you anyway-crush !)

And nobody can tell me, that there was never a possible view on this option.
I don’t remember exactly when……the second or the third season…..when Mrs. Cuocco-Sweeting was asked in an interview if Penny and Sheldon comes closer she answered that its often near, but it does not happen. Is this not prove enough? And look at the cover of the DVD-Box of season one.
It looks like: Leonard is interested in Penny, but Pennys interest goes toward Sheldon.
And Sheldons face looks like: Sorry for you, Buddy!
It was like that the writers and producers had made a radical turn after the second season.

One reason of us (The “Shenny”-Shippers), is this chemistry between Mrs. Cuocco-Sweeting and Mr. Parsons. Well that’s sure a point. But what is -in my opinion- more important is the constellation of the figures which only brings out the best in them. The cast could be theoretical another, but the effect would probably be the same.
(Although…… well, I must have to agree. Penny and Sheldon must just go next to another--- and I get the feeling that they simply belong together).

If the show really ends with Penny/Leonard and Sheldon/Amy, the series have no twists, no surprises, nothing special. It would be like a lame and ordinary soap-opera like many others too.(Only a story how four nerds become normal people by relationships-and…. please don’t misunderstand me- I don’t want to boycott it, but,…..if it is clear how it will end, where is there a reason to follow the show further?)
It would be a real shame if all these moments and hints between Penny and Sheldon would be for nothing at the end.

And what I want to say: I think this whole shipping-war is very stupid. Johnny Galecki and Mayhim Bialik are very good actors and they play there parts great. I think no Shenny-Shipper really wants that this two leave the show or something.
There are only the pair-constellations were are not optimal. Leonard and Penny are to fluffy, and Sheldon and Amy are to similar.
The idea to introduce Amy as a female nerd was a great thing. Really, I like Amy. She is/was a droll and funny character and enrichment for the series. No doubt.
But as a Partner for her, it should have been introduced a male pedant of Penny.

I read very often that the fans who don’t wants a relationship between Penny and Sheldon are very pleased about the “progress” by Sheldon and Amy. Sorry, but that I cannot understand. Would be a "Coitus" with Amy Sheldon not change then possibly? I cannot understand how anyone refuse Shenny and simultaneously support Shamy, but if both can only end what supposedly no one wants: That Sheldon loses his eccentricities. If this is not intended, Sheldon might never have got a girlfriend, but stay the loner. Do we want this? Of course not.
I think only if it happens then with the most optimum partner.

And for Sheldon it is PENNY!
And for Penny it is SHELDON!

I believe, if Penny and Sheldon ever would dare to make THIS step-I think they would be inseparable-not like the “Lenny”-this endless “Yes” and “No”…..uaaarg!

(Every time, if the authors tried to dismantle the “Shenny” it became an “own-goal”.
Remember the fantasy where Penny tries to seduce Sheldon in the laundry-room?”
I guessed the intention of the authors was to show that the “Shenny” could not work….
…..BUT…..because they had written this scene as a mind-play of Amy its became implausible.
In her mind Penny is a blond dump, and Sheldon -of course- don’t want her because - of course- he is waiting for the woman with the “hair coloured like mud.”
Yes, it was nice and funny and…….THE PINK BRA!!! (Äehhm). But it is only Amys fantasy and like the “sibling-scene” not believable.)

I have even thought about who would be the best partner for the others in general:
For Amy:
Some Shenny-Shipper think Amy and Leonard would be good.
Hmmm.
At first sight it looks in such way, but…..no.
Amy wants someone who treats her like a princess. She is shy like Leonard, and she wants sex (okay, there it could work) but in the human way they are to similar too.
Leonard and Amy? No! It could not work.
As I have already written: a male pedant of Penny, or eventually….Stuart would be the good for Amy.
For Leonard:
There are normally, that pairs sometimes argue, but if, then they are mostly irritated about small peculiarities of the other. But by the “Lenny” it is another thing.
If Penny earns more money than him, he feels inferior. (Only one example) Oh please!
THIS are in my eyes conflicts as siblings.
It is as if the son runs to mum and complained about the sister gets more pocket money or has better grades.
This is not the behaviour of a happy couple.
It is a silly thing and could not long work in reality.
Leonard has not a very big self-confidence (in the human way-not by his work). If he gets recognition, he reacts quickly arrogant (and that is a pity, because he could be a nice guy).
Well, there is a point by Leonard which had bothered me from the beginning. Since he became the attention of Penny ( or another girl) it had looked that he had always kept his friends basically already for Idiots. So as that he was spending his time only with them because no one better was there.

As partner he needs someone who idolises him, and in this case, Penny is clearly the wrong, because she idolises no one.
The best partner for the good Leo would have been Alex-Sheldons secretary.

Some people says that Penny and Leonard are a normal couple with “Highs” and “Downs”.
The only “Highs” they are having in bed, so that their relationship looks (for me) very primitive and dominated by hormones.

(Because I am a guy, I logically can not understand the sexual attraction, but about Leonard’s behaviour towards Penny I have to keep asking myself constantly: "Why to hell she likes him???")

Also it is sad, that the massage of the show completely changed too.
At the beginning the nerd-milieu was new and fresh, and inner the TV-History an pioneer-act.
Now its only a relationship-opera. The nerd-milieu does not matter anymore and the plot could be played in any other milieu.
And at the beginning it was the clash of two worlds, and the core was the acceptance and the tolerance. The ambition to show that somebody like/love another because he/she is him/her.(Specially by Penny and Sheldon)

In the actually seasons the message is:

“If you want to be accepted and be liked/loved, you have to change”
And
“To became adult you have to lay down your dreams”

That is all to conventional, and very sad to see.

If the series really ends in this way, than it will be ends as an ambivalent affair.
For many people it will be one of the funniest shows ever made (deal), for other people it will be a great wasted chance (also deal-specially for me).

So, my fellow Shenny-Shippers, is there a hope for our Ship?
Well, I think……YES, IT IS!

I think there is a chance that the two most popular characters of the show become a couple.
In the nineties “The-X-Files” was my favourite TV-show. All over the years the creator (Chris Carter) was telling (over and over and over again) that Mulder and Scully would never come together, and the actors David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson were telling in many interviews that they could not imagine a relationship between there characters.
And what happened at the end ?
They become a pair, because it was logical……..and the wish of a very great part of the fanbase !!!
In “Star Trek: DSN” Dr. Bashir and Dax came together in the last season (after she was married with Worf!!!)….
The list of series in which the producers respected the fan wishes at the end is endless.
(And in the case of “The big bang theory”……so much “Shenny”- fanpics, fanvids, and fanfics in the net-if Lorre and Prady would really just ignore this fan-fraction, they were be real cold fishes---The “Shenny” was one of the earliest ships of the show and the Shenny-shippers contributed very much to the success of the series over the years).

So my message to all the Shennys-Shippers out there:
Chins up, hold the community alive and do not give up the hope.

The Motto of one of my former bosses was:
“Stand for what you believe in, even when it mean standing alone!”

In this sense: Shenny FTW!!!

It can (and I hope it will be) still happen !

Greetings from Germany!
(I am by your side)

P.S.1: To all my “Shenny-Shipper-brothers and sisters in arms”: I hope that I did not made a fool of myself with my post.
The writing of this statement was spontaneous and I hope it is not too bad.
If someone will write a comment its okay---if not its no problem too.

P.S.2: My hope: that the Shenny will be the Joker-Card, and Penny and Sheldon will be the endgame-couple.

P.S.3: My hidden wish: That Penny and Sheldon plunk down their lazy relationships, leave together the town to think it over, and realises that they are the best ones for each other,
or
-that Sheldon or Penny wakes up, and realises that the last five years where only dreams.

P.S.4: Once again for the writers: THEY ARE NOT LIKE SIBLINGS!!!

P.S. 5:To all the Lenny and Shamy –Fans: This is only my personal opinion. Please don’t kill me for that !!!

When I wrote that I did not see the eighth season , than I meant: not completely.

Ratman..love everything you said. As it is WAYYY past my bedtime, though, I'm just going to keep it short and say, I refuse to believe you only have an IQ of 100. Perhaps it's measured differently in Europe?? Smile
"The mark of mediocrity is to look for precedent."   Norman Mailer
The following 3 users Like Kimk26's post:
  • Nutz, Toad, queenoftheDales

Messages In This Thread
Like an old married couple - by Toad - 01-01-2014, 09:23 PM
RE: Like an old married couple - by FlyingMonkey - 01-02-2014, 12:35 AM
RE: Like an old married couple - by Toad - 01-02-2014, 12:46 AM
RE: Like an old married couple - by Wisp - 01-04-2014, 12:10 AM
RE: Like an old married couple - by taffinabean - 01-14-2014, 02:13 AM
RE: Like an old married couple - by taffinabean - 01-14-2014, 08:09 AM
RE: Like an old married couple - by Trust No One - 01-14-2014, 09:13 AM
RE: Like an old married couple - by taffinabean - 01-14-2014, 09:24 PM