The Sheldonian Orientation
(12-06-2013, 12:00 AM)Toad Wrote: Well, here I'm going to chime into this discussion topic two years later (better late than never?)  

Yeah, reading through this and the rest of the stories here of how everyone fell for Sheldon (and the show) I have to say, I relate to a lot that's been said. Like Toad, I wasn't with the series from the beginning. Actually, it was a weird combination of things that brought Sheldon/the show to my attention. Just bits and pieces, I would say. Flipping through tv channels I would come across the shows in syndication. Being that I like science and comics, and like being around people who enjoy the same, some things I noticed/picked up upon while channel-surfing seemed appealing. Not enough to actually watch any episode, unfortunately, as I saw that JG seemed to be the star. And I remembered him as that kid David from "Rosanne". I didn't like that character AT ALL, found him depressing/ineffectual, etc. So figured, if this is the lead of this show..no thanks.

So yeah, seeing it now and then..I admit I was intrigued by the whole premise. But again, could NOT get past the distaste of JG and his earlier character. I DID notice "the tall guy" and "the blond neighbor", just in fleeting. And then, this is where it goes off the tracks: I had started reading fan fiction. Honestly, I can't remember WTH kind of fiction I was reading at the time. I recall, though, looking for some good 'battle-of-the-sexes' stuff. I like when romantic couples are at odds/are competitive. It's interesting! So yeah..somehow, as I was searching for fan fics, I came across BBT. And then remembered the tall guy and the blond neighbor, and how (in what LITTLE I actually saw of the show) they had chemistry. So I started reading the fan fiction. At that time--this is probably in 2011 or so--there was still quite a bit of Shenny fan fics. In fact, I could go so far as to say that this pairing dominated in FF. So yeah, got completely HOOKED on Shenny in the fan fics. So this--in addition to my friend Daron trying desperately to sell me on the show itself--prompted me to start watching it regularly. And from there..yeah, just fell in love with it. Everything about it. 
"The mark of mediocrity is to look for precedent."   Norman Mailer

Messages In This Thread
The Sheldonian Orientation - by Toad - 12-06-2013, 12:00 AM
RE: The Sheldonian Orientation - by Wisp - 05-01-2014, 11:45 PM
RE: The Sheldonian Orientation - by devilbk - 05-06-2014, 12:05 AM
RE: The Sheldonian Orientation - by Wisp - 05-06-2014, 04:02 PM
RE: The Sheldonian Orientation - by Louise - 10-18-2014, 11:23 PM
RE: The Sheldonian Orientation - by Kimk26 - 09-03-2015, 11:22 AM
RE: The Sheldonian Orientation - by Kimk26 - 09-03-2015, 11:24 AM
RE: The Sheldonian Orientation - by Kimk26 - 09-03-2015, 11:25 AM
RE: The Sheldonian Orientation - by Kimk26 - 09-04-2015, 03:48 AM
RE: The Sheldonian Orientation - by Nutz - 05-14-2016, 04:22 PM