The Sheldonian Orientation
Sheldon birthday present. http://www.slashgear.com/google-glass-em...-22342370/
The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Louise
I find plot anomalies interesting. We all know how condescending Sheldon can be to humans(except SH), and he also has a few Texan cliches about women(probably his father talking!). But he aways goes to women for advice, particularly Penny early on. Here he goes one step further and tries to create a 'council of ladies'! (only place I've seen this; Truman Capote's Swans!).

• queenoftheDales
At least Howard can talk about his childhood issues, Sheldon usually goes into meltdown!

. It's no surprise he is socially inept. Here's a theory>So, his main role models were grandfather who focuses him on science, grandmother who gives him attention. This left him vulnerable to older women[Image: 2117_146a.gif], or women who act and dress like a grandma.
Plot Irony! L, H and Raj spend about ninety percent of their mental energy trying to get dates. Sheldon achieves it, without even knowing what he's doing. It's great watching the earlier episodes, no evil sisters.

• Idle Miscreant
It is strange, when Howard does anything involving women, it's classed as creepy(and you're right Louise it is supposed to be ironic and funny), but when sheldon does the following, we just accept that he's making an innocent mistake.

Yeah, there are a lot of double standards on this show.

I've always liked that scene with Sheldon at the bookstore; it shows his innocence.
(12-06-2013, 12:00 AM)Toad Wrote: Well, here I'm going to chime into this discussion topic two years later (better late than never?)  

Yeah, reading through this and the rest of the stories here of how everyone fell for Sheldon (and the show) I have to say, I relate to a lot that's been said. Like Toad, I wasn't with the series from the beginning. Actually, it was a weird combination of things that brought Sheldon/the show to my attention. Just bits and pieces, I would say. Flipping through tv channels I would come across the shows in syndication. Being that I like science and comics, and like being around people who enjoy the same, some things I noticed/picked up upon while channel-surfing seemed appealing. Not enough to actually watch any episode, unfortunately, as I saw that JG seemed to be the star. And I remembered him as that kid David from "Rosanne". I didn't like that character AT ALL, found him depressing/ineffectual, etc. So figured, if this is the lead of this show..no thanks.

So yeah, seeing it now and then..I admit I was intrigued by the whole premise. But again, could NOT get past the distaste of JG and his earlier character. I DID notice "the tall guy" and "the blond neighbor", just in fleeting. And then, this is where it goes off the tracks: I had started reading fan fiction. Honestly, I can't remember WTH kind of fiction I was reading at the time. I recall, though, looking for some good 'battle-of-the-sexes' stuff. I like when romantic couples are at odds/are competitive. It's interesting! So yeah..somehow, as I was searching for fan fics, I came across BBT. And then remembered the tall guy and the blond neighbor, and how (in what LITTLE I actually saw of the show) they had chemistry. So I started reading the fan fiction. At that time--this is probably in 2011 or so--there was still quite a bit of Shenny fan fics. In fact, I could go so far as to say that this pairing dominated in FF. So yeah, got completely HOOKED on Shenny in the fan fics. So this--in addition to my friend Daron trying desperately to sell me on the show itself--prompted me to start watching it regularly. And from there..yeah, just fell in love with it. Everything about it. 
"The mark of mediocrity is to look for precedent."   Norman Mailer
I think, the first one that really impressed the socks off me was "The Loobenfeld Decay" (Season 1, Ep. 10), where Leonard lies to Penny to avoid having to hear her sing at a workshop stage production. Being that the lie involves Sheldon--and his conviction of it's implausibility--leads him to spend all of his energy on concocting an elaborate alternative in order to keep Penny off the scent. I think everyone did a great job in this episode. Most especially, Chuck Lorre, who wrote the story, and Bill Prady and Lee Arohnson, who wrote the teleplay. Every cast member had their place, and performed beautifully--including DJ Qualls, who played the dual role of Sheldon's drug-addicted 'cousin' Leo, but in reality, Toby Loobenfeld, a particle physics research lab assistant working with the guys at CalTech that Sheldon recruits for the 'role'. As Sheldon points out to Leonard, he's not only a physics major, but he minored in theater at MIT. To which Toby elaborates, "It's more of a double-major, actually..theater and physics. You can guess which one my bourgeoisie parents pushed me towards (as he rolls his eyes).

Yeah, I think it was this episode that sold me entirely on Sheldon. And yeah, the exchange between he and Toby, while arguing over what is 'Leo's' best character motivation in the deception, is what cemented it: 
Toby:     "Sheldon, how about this as my motivation? 'When I was fourteen-years-old, I was abused in the Philippines by a club-footed Navy chaplain'?"
Sheldon:  "No. We're going with 'middle-child, and a genetic predisposition to inadequate serotonin production.'"
Toby:     (Unconvinced) "Swell..how do I play' genetic predisposition'?" 
Sheldon:  (Sigh/roll of eyes) "Subtextually, of course."
Yup, that's the line that sold me. I can't explain why. It just..I just knew this show was completely different from anything I'd ever encountered before. It all clicked. Including Leonard, being confused and exasperated by the whole premise (that's an important part in carrying it all off with humor, having that 'voice of reason' mixed in with the chaos.) When it all came down at the end, with Penny informing Leonard that she had a copy of the tape of the performance, so he could come watch it with her over breakfast, making the whole ordeal completely worthless..yeah, that's when I got over my aversion to Johnny Galecki. In the early seasons, it seemed his role had been established as the reasonable one of the group. Panty Pinata comes to mind, as he countered back and forth between Sheldon/Penny and their prank war, and Howard/Raj's elaborate supermodel stalking plan..it was a perfect example of the best dynamics of the group. As long as the show more-or-less stayed around these parameters, it was perfect.
I don't think current Sheldon even knows what "subtext" means. They've reduced his intelligence and sphere of interests so drastically.

He used to quote the Rubaiyat, Shakespeare, Nietzsche...
Taught himself Finnish, Tuvan Throat Singing, the Theremin...
He could shoot, and bake and weave goddamn ponchos...

We made a list once, and it turned out Vintage Sheldon was essentially a renaissance man, versus New!Sheldon who was essentially a teenybopper. He can't even get through a damn revolving door! His ONE new "skill" that he's demonstrated in 4 years? Kissing.

Who does he quote now? Bloody pop songs!
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"