The Sheldonian Orientation
Excuse me in advance! I've got theories about everything, trying to make sense of reality, people,etc. I saw an interesting program about autism. Seems many people have autistic traits, but because they are low level(under 70% on spectrum), or they don't impinge on everyday life, they are not diagnosed as such. One of the experiments; a simple story was told using simple animated shapes. All the 'average' people relaid the same story. All those with traits saw the story differently, more interestingly.(I'd thought some of these possible, before the 'averages' defined reality!). Is this what I'm doing with TBBT?
The following 5 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Jislane35, Toad, FranEssi, queenoftheDales, Wisp
I'm not sure how good this clip is as an example; I read it as 'orca plays game with gawping humans'! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JINND1kA5ww Or is this a good example of Sheldon mis-reading a situation? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pMM36Xejvc
The following 3 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Jislane35, Toad, queenoftheDales
So in theory, specifically Eco's 'Open Work', it is possible to create a story, sit com, film; that can be read in multiple ways, dependant upon whom we associate with among the characters, and a whole stack of other variables. Although I can't bring to mind any other works except TBBT! In the clip above I associate with the orca, obviously. Stupid humans! Sheldon exhibits the Aspergian trait, of focusing on only one part of incoming scenario, 'it's not what it looks like'.

I know what I was thinking. Alot of children, whose parents are involved in their own epic, are brought up/educated, by the TV. Maybe Sheldon believed for decades, that mating, 'pon farr', only occurs every seven years, when instinct and emotion supress logic for once! This is long, but interesting to see Spock, emotional and angry!

Oh shit! I seem to be taking over this thread. What do you expect from an obsessive! I find Sheldon fascinating as a character. It's well known that boys in particular(when there are no real role models around, who are suitable), look to TV characters when creating their own identity. So what Amy is doing in the following clip is not only belittling Sheldon's interests, but also attacking a character on which he has founded his identity.

The following 5 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, queenoftheDales, Toad, Nutz, Gamma
(05-01-2014, 11:41 PM)pilot fish Wrote: Oh shit! I seem to be taking over this thread. What do you expect from an obsessive! I find Sheldon fascinating as a character. It's well known that boys in particular(when there are no real role models around, who are suitable), look to TV characters when creating their own identity. So what Amy is doing in the following clip is not only belittling Sheldon's interests, but also attacking a character on which he has founded his identity.

Exactly. This is one of the moments when my STRONG DISLIKE for Amy Farrah Fuck-off started spoiling the show for me. I ignored her for a while, but I couldn't after she kept making snide comments about things that were important to Sheldon.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
The following 2 users Like Wisp's post:
  • ricardo shillyshally, queenoftheDales
Spock seems to have become Sheldon's alter ego/conscience, channelled through Tiny Spock.

'WITCHDOCTOR FANTASTIC'

Exactly. This is one of the moments when my STRONG DISLIKE for Amy Farrah Fuck-off started spoiling the show for me. I ignored her for a while, but I couldn't after she kept making snide comments about things that were important to Sheldon. > Someone(if not everyone) has commented on how Sheldon, and Penny are in 'unhealthy' relationships. Someone belittling everthing you believe in, and trying to change you into the person they want, are classic signs.
The following 3 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • queenoftheDales, Jislane35, devilbk
Some of Sheldon's obsessions are easier to understand. [Image: tumblr_mc0tmfFcuM1r99uloo1_500.gif] (I can't believe how many gifs,clips,manips, there are out there.)

But others are more paradoxical. He is obsessed by his health. He is a hypochondriac, and seems to think each virus will lead to his death. But he also revels in being ill. Something that I don't enjoy is how childish Sheldon acts when his mother visits. I realise now that he just didn't get enough good mothering as a child, and is always tying to redeem more. He must have had some serious illness as a child, and revelled in the attention , which he tries to recreate with whomever, now he is an adult!

The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Jislane35
(05-01-2014, 11:50 PM)pilot fish Wrote: Spock seems to have become Sheldon's alter ego/conscience, channelled through Tiny Spock.

'WITCHDOCTOR FANTASTIC'

Exactly. This is one of the moments when my STRONG DISLIKE for Amy Farrah Fuck-off started spoiling the show for me. I ignored her for a while, but I couldn't after she kept making snide comments about things that were important to Sheldon. > Someone(if not everyone) has commented on how Sheldon, and Penny are in 'unhealthy' relationships. Someone belittling everthing you believe in, and trying to change you into the person they want, are classic signs.

It is AFF's avowed intention to replace all that Sheldon now loves with love of her. She really doesn't care if that causes damage to any Sheldon because it serves her world view. The world revolves around Amy and no other option is acceptable to her. And she really can't wait until Penny is handled and out of the picture.
The following 2 users Like devilbk's post:
  • Jislane35, Idle Miscreant
I'm assuming most people on here, associate themselves in some way with Penny, Sheldon, maybe Stuart, Wil. So I'm assuming those that want TBBT to revolve around Leonard and Amy(and their needs), associate with them. Just exactly what redeeming charactistics do either of them have? I think sometimes L appeared to care for Sheldon, but I think he just thought he had to pretend![Image: maxresdefault.jpg] Now that's a FREAKIN picture!!!
The following 6 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Jislane35, Wisp, Toad, queenoftheDales, Tuesday Pajamas