The Sheldonian Orientation
I just tried watching a little of New!Sheldon. I can't. His manner...He's like a hyper-inflated balloon-animal...and the voice! SO LOUD.

Compared to VINTAGE Sheldon with Beverly; Wine

*SIGH*

Sad
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
(09-03-2015, 11:39 AM)Idle Miscreant Wrote: I don't think current Sheldon even knows what "subtext" means. They've reduced his intelligence and sphere of interests so drastically.

He used to quote the Rubaiyat, Shakespeare, Nietzsche...
Taught himself Finnish, Tuvan Throat Singing, the Theremin...
He could shoot, and bake and weave goddamn ponchos...

We made a list once, and it turned out Vintage Sheldon was essentially a renaissance man, versus New!Sheldon who was essentially a teenybopper. He can't even get through a damn revolving door! His ONE new "skill" that he's demonstrated in 4 years? Kissing.

Who does he quote now? Bloody pop songs!

Yeah, because of that episode, Daron and I got interested in building our own Theremin. And all the others..inspired even more. We even bought a physics kit and got to do experiments! That's the thing..BBT at the time, became a catalyst for bringing science more into our lives. Particularly, among young people, deciding to go into the sciences. I believe that. What does it inspire now? I can't think of a notable thing.
"The mark of mediocrity is to look for precedent."   Norman Mailer
The following 2 users Like Kimk26's post:
  • Nutz, Toad
This new Sheldon appeals to the very average. Confused Sadly...

When you read the comments of current fans of the show, they are more interested in the way the actors look than the original characterisations. Penny's either hot or they hate her hair. Sheldon needs to become more 'normal' so he can satisfy Amy (because of how Jim looks). That's about as abstract as the thinking goes these days. They're certainly not interested in what Sheldon quotes, unless its something he's saying to her. The hardest part to swallow for me, is the level of hate Sheldon and Penny get on other platforms. They are nothing but objects in the romantic game play and must tow the line. We are the real fans of these two characters. How can they not love the old Sheldon???? that second clip is brilliantly funny and that Sheldon is so mature. The first one is more of a spectacle.
The following 3 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Toad, Nutz, spuffyfan
[Image: 2604gus.gif]

No he can't, Bernadette! Oh I suppose he could (and would) if he was a "better person". But then there'd be no comedic routines built around Sheldon's Spot for there would BE no spot. Only selfish, broken people have spots. And I suppose if he wasn't so damned exasperating about his food our eyes would be welling over at:

Sheldon: Did you remember to pick up the chicken with broccoli?
Leonard: Yes.
Sheldon: Thank you!
Leonard: You're welcome.

BA-DUM-TISH  Sarcasm 

Yeah I know it's not funny. AT ALL. But at least THIS Sheldon is a better person.
Dodgy 

My point, and I think I have one, is that one of the reasons, a BIG reason, TBBT became hugely popular and Sheldon such an iconic character is precisely because of his, for lack of a better word, annoyingness. But if in the dubious quest for better personhood you strip away the eccentricities, the fastidiousness and the haughtiness (elsewhere perceived as selfishness and robotic behavior) you're essentially left with a bland simper of a fool. I.e. comedy death.

The humor is (or was anyway) rooted in the intractability of the brilliant Sheldon Cooper and the tension that that created between him and everyone else. And Parsons has the incredible talent to mine it for everything it's worth without overplaying it.

Now alas the "humor" seems to revolve around Sheldon being humbled and hobbled and having to compromise. He's no longer written as a supremely self-assured being. And Parsons has had to overcompensate for this paradigm shift with manic gesticulations and a louder, twangier delivery. There's no subtlety in his performance, perhaps because there are precious few nuances left to play now. It's all about Sheldon the Giant Man-Baby learning how to love and make love to his saint of a girlfriend.

Somebody wake me when it's over...
OH PLEASE...
The following 6 users Like Toad's post:
  • Nutz, Gamma, Kimk26, Idle Miscreant, JustMyLuckiness, spuffyfan
(09-05-2015, 03:26 AM)Toad Wrote: [Image: 2604gus.gif]

No he can't, Bernadette! Oh I suppose he could (and would) if he was a "better person". But then there'd be no comedic routines built around Sheldon's Spot for there would BE no spot. Only selfish, broken people have spots. And I suppose if he wasn't so damned exasperating about his food our eyes would be welling over at:

Sheldon: Did you remember to pick up the chicken with broccoli?
Leonard: Yes.
Sheldon: Thank you!
Leonard: You're welcome.

BA-DUM-TISH  Sarcasm 

Yeah I know it's not funny. AT ALL. But at least THIS Sheldon is a better person.
Dodgy 

My point, and I think I have one, is that one of the reasons, a BIG reason, TBBT became hugely popular and Sheldon such an iconic character is precisely because of his, for lack of a better word, annoyingness. But if in the dubious quest for better personhood you strip away the eccentricities, the fastidiousness and the haughtiness (elsewhere perceived as selfishness and robotic behavior) you're essentially left with a bland simper of a fool. I.e. comedy death.

The humor is (or was anyway) rooted in the intractability of the brilliant Sheldon Cooper and the tension that that created between him and everyone else. And Parsons has the incredible talent to mine it for everything it's worth without overplaying it.

Now alas the "humor" seems to revolve around Sheldon being humbled and hobbled and having to compromise. He's no longer written as a supremely self-assured being. And Parsons has had to overcompensate for this paradigm shift with manic gesticulations and a louder, twangier delivery. There's no subtlety in his performance, perhaps because there are precious few nuances left to play now. It's all about Sheldon the Giant Man-Baby learning how to love and make love to his saint of a girlfriend.

Somebody wake me when it's over...
When I watched the most recent seasons, the thing that keeps coming into my head is an image of the TBBT writers' table and seated around it are about a dozen Leonard and Amy clones wondering how to bring an exceptional human being - despite his eccentric nature - down to their level. That's about the only way I can logically explain it.
Luck favors the prepared.
Luck favors the bold.

Be prepared to take a bold chance!
The following 4 users Like JustMyLuckiness's post:
  • devilbk, Toad, Nutz, spuffyfan
I sat up and took notice of Sheldon in season 1, but it was season 2 that I fell completely in love with him. The arrogant/innocence Jim mastered in portraying Sheldon was breathtaking and every encounter Sheldon had with Penny just increased my awe of Jim (and Kaley).

Vintage Sheldon was Smart, Arrogant, Innocent, had a very big heart and was a very reasonable person (mostly) if approached with logic (see clip below). Unlike now where he has to act like a two year old throwing a temper tantrum just so saint Amy can smother him with her benevolent understanding and make him a better person.

The only thing Sheldon ever needed was someone who believed in him completely (quirks and all) he certainly didn't need anyone to make him a better person, he already was one.

Now sit back and enjoy this delightful opening scene from 2.14 The Financial Permeability

“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 2 users Like Nutz's post:
  • Kimk26, Gamma
(09-03-2015, 11:39 AM)Idle Miscreant Wrote: I don't think current Sheldon even knows what "subtext" means. They've reduced his intelligence and sphere of interests so drastically.

He used to quote the Rubaiyat, Shakespeare, Nietzsche...
Taught himself Finnish, Tuvan Throat Singing, the Theremin...
He could shoot, and bake and weave goddamn ponchos...

We made a list once, and it turned out Vintage Sheldon was essentially a renaissance man, versus New!Sheldon who was essentially a teenybopper. He can't even get through a damn revolving door! His ONE new "skill" that he's demonstrated in 4 years? Kissing.

Who does he quote now? Bloody pop songs!

Don't forget Hannah Montana  Puke
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons