The Sheldonian Orientation
It's a source of irritation to me that I can't remember when I became so besotted with Sheldon. I think it might have something to do with how I came to be a fan of the show in the first place - I literally gorged myself with a ton of episodes within a very short span when the show started airing in syndication. With many a journey to YouTube to supplement so to speak. I almost feel like I absorbed the show osmotically, and, thus, didn't quite have the same experience as a normal viewer, getting a slower (and sequential) introduction to the characters.

I THINK The Adhesive Duck Deficiency is when I really sat up and took notice. I think. Or that might be the episode when I became besotted with Jim. Sigh. It's all so confusing to me now. To this day though I can't get over how he transforms in the scene where Sheldon is "comforting" Penny. The way he cocks his head to the side and grimaces out his comfort-words, he literally changes in appearance. It's a truly stunning performance.

So, since I'm so unsure of the genesis of my own adoration for Sheldon, I'm always fascinated to learn where it all started for other fans. Anybody?
OH PLEASE...
The following 1 user Likes Toad's post:
  • Jislane35
I know exactly what elevated Sheldon into the realms of sitcom history for me: It was Penny! or at least his scenes with her. I had been seeing little bits of the show on and off for months and hadn't paid that much attention to it. I remember vaguely seeing Sheldon and Leonard having a few amusing scientific exchanges but it was just "that nerdy show with the short guy and tall guy again". It was okay but didn't strike me as unmissable.

Season three was airing in the states and I'm not sure exactly when we got the show in the UK but I remember the episode which changed everything. Panty Pinata!! I just went HOLY CRAP ON EVERYTHING! The electricity between Sheldon and Penny caught my attention like a smack in the face and that was it. If Penny and Sheldon had not had that chemistry, it would have taken me years to pay attention to Sheldon. I believe his interaction with her rounded off his character and catapulted him to true greatness. Now he's a God amongst sitcom characters as far as I'm concerned.
The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jislane35
"Geeetings, hamburger toucher"..."Hello, puny insects" Snicker. Ah, Panty! How I heart this one. So much Sheldon goodness.

This episode really congealed for me some of the character dynamics - Sheldon and Penny totally engaging as equals, whereas the other guys "knuckle under" and grimly tally their strikes and take Sheldon's record-clearing classes.
OH PLEASE...
The following 1 user Likes Toad's post:
  • Jislane35
Yes!! she is the first person to challenge his authority and he never imposed such full on restrictions on her again. Sure he moans about her A LOT but that's because he can't always get his way.

Duck is a favourite of many. A man who can touch a womans breast and come off as completely innocent is a rare thing. He did admit he peeked at her bottom but then in Season 5 (Werewolf) he admitted he looked at BOTH her bottom and breasts. So this throws a whole new angle on the breast touching incident. Tongue
The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jislane35
Yes Shelly take it Wink

[Image: tumblr_mxpe26rNxk1se7miio1_400.gif]
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jislane35, queenoftheDales
I was aimlessly flicking the channels looking for something to watch. I stopped at TBBT for some reason (I hadn't got into the show yet), and The Einstein Approximation was on. Sheldon was perched on a stool panicking and flailing about, surrounded by marbles, talking about the toad of truth. For some reason it was that moment that started my Sheldon fascination. I thought: My GOD. He's BEAUTIFUL.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
The following 1 user Likes Wisp's post:
  • Jislane35
For me there wasn't a special moment. I watched the first few episodes and I just knew Sheldon was my type of character:

I usually do go for the eccentric, special characters. The mad ones, the wackadoodles, the outsiders! There were also his OCD side and his socially awkward side that I somewhat related to. I am not as bad as Sheldon of course, but I do understand and feel his pain when it comes to OCD and to dealing with certain social situations! And last but not least, the intellectual and the genius aspect of the character fascinated me. I don't consider myself smart. I don't think I can call myself a nerd even; but I like, admire and respect genius, intelligence and pursuit of knowledge. I am fascinated by the concept of genius and by the people who posses it; I have always been and will always be; be it in fiction or in real life.

Add to all that Sheldon's innocence, honesty, confidence, passion for the things he liked, as well as the charm of the actor who played him, and it was not hard to fall for Sheldon. I mean, what was there not to like? Smile
The following 3 users Like FranEssi's post:
  • Jislane35, queenoftheDales, Idle Miscreant
I had a lot of friends who shipped Sheldon/Penny, so my friends often sent me a barrage of gifs and videos concerning the pair over the internet. I got hooked on the Shenny couple first, but then as I started watching the actual episodes, I grew very fond of Sheldon in his own right. He's just too adorable, quirks and all. Big Grin
The following 1 user Likes CassandraElise's post:
  • Jislane35
I'm just happy to see someone who has a similar combination of traits/afflictions to me, for once. I don't like it when either Jim or (Sofia Helin who plays Saga), over exaggerate, over act their character's conditions. I don't think people with Aspergers, or OCD would draw attention to themselves, because most so called 'normal' people consider us mad. Although I find it hilarious when they do exhibit symptoms, and also, the dismay of people around them! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-dIvyK3gPs
The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Jislane35
While I think I know where most of Sheldon's traits come from. I've never seen any other character, except Robby the Robot(Forbidden Planet), have a mental short circuit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDTl5N4J9eM Also I noticed they have a FP poster on the door in apartment.