Numerically Ordered According to Fibre Content
A thread for discussing pointless but interesting minutiae and niminy-piminy details. If, for example, someone could add a list of Wolowitz’s pick-up lines and general entry announcements, this would be considered a great civil service.

I’ll start with one that was bothering me last week. Contemplating Penny’s assertion to Sheldon in 5.10 that she calls everyone sweetie, I was intrigued enough to see if she does in fact do so. Amazed to discover she is a Liar and Harlot!

(not really)

As befitting my title, I have some idle information for all you fact fans.
I ran the episode transcripts S1-7 though an editing tool (not me, incidentally) that does a word search and count, and discovered the following statistics concerning bestowals of the endearments "Sweetie" and "Honey" (neither of which I have ever used in my life).

I then ran my vaguely human eye over the results to remove the extraneous endearments, such as the DMV woman referring to Sheldon as "Honey" before threatening to climb over the counter and presumably wallop him. Ditto Leonard’s "Honey"s to Priya and Stephanie, and Howard's two ill-advised "Honey"s to Penny in the 1st Season.

I can't be arsed counting endearments such as Sheldon referring to Penny as "Kitten" and so forth. These are frankly too difficult to quantify and lead to questions over what is a compliment VS an endearment ("Vixen" as compliment VS "Cute little lump of wool" as endearment, for example, in AFF's case), particularly with the numerous examples of Sheldon THINKING he's complimenting Penny when actually he's being an oblivious but good-hearted gobshite.

Behold the results;

P to S – 24 sweeties, 27 honeys

P to L – 22 sweeties, 10 honeys

P to R – 3 sweeties, 3 honeys

P to A – 2 sweeties

P to B – 1 sweetie

L to P – 3 honeys

H to B – 4 sweeties, 10 honeys

B to H – 2 sweeties, 4 honeys

There are interesting variations, such as a peak in "Honey"s for Sheldon from Penny around Season 2 and 4, and a resurgence in "Sweeties" for Leonard in Season 7. Howard is trouncing Bernadette in the endearment department, and Leonard has managed 3 endearments to Penny thus far. I imagine these will increase in Season 8.

Of interest to S/P fanfiction writers in the habit of using “Sweetie” almost exclusively, would be the fact that Penny refers to Sheldon more as “Honey”. Update forthcoming fics accordingly.

This dubiously helpful list was created from the wondrous TBBT Transcripts site; http://bigbangtrans.wordpress.com/

Despite the compilation of this list taking less than 30 minutes, I still feel that perhaps I am occupying my time in a manner not unlike Harry “The Sponge” Solomon. He knows many things, but they are; 1) How many bags of trash their neighbours produce per week, 2) What Barney’s friends’ names are. His REAL friends, and 3) How many licks it takes to get to the centre of a marble.

You don’t know. Do you.

[Image: 28-harry.jpg]
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 7 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Wisp, queenoftheDales, devilbk, Tuesday Pajamas, wellplayedpenny, Gamma, Nutz
This is fabulous! Penny calls Leonard 'Sweetie' slightly less often than Sheldon. But 'Honey' is almost exclusively Sheldon's. I'm doing the bar charts... Big Grin
[Image: 24125_900.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • devilbk, Nutz, Gamma, Toad
Very interesting. Does calling Sheldon honey mean he's the one she really likes? Just asking since The Pirate Solution (season 3, episode4) had the following dialogue.

Opening Scene: The apartment.

Sheldon: This movie baffles me every time we watch it.

Leonard: What do you mean?

Sheldon: Well, the instructions are very clear, don’t feed the gremlins after midnight, don’t get the gremlins wet. How hard is that?

Penny (arriving): Hi, guys. Hi, honey.

Leonard: Hey.

Howard: Ooh, we’re honey now, are we?

Sheldon: Yes. Since their relationship became carnal, Penny has upgraded his designated term of endearment, thus distinguishing him from those she calls sweetie, usually in an attempt to soften a thinly-veiled insult.

Penny: You’re boring people sweetie.

Sheldon: Although, sometimes, she omits the veil entirely.

It's called a continuity bible writers, seriously look at it!
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
Well spotted Dsnynutz. They really dug a hole there. Big Grin

You will also notice that Howard and Bernadette use "Honey" twice as much as "Sweetie" and Leonard never uses "Sweetie". So.... can we deduce that Penny has a great deal of latent unresolved affection for that oddball friend of her fiance? Tongue Ohhhh, I think we can...why not? the canons read all sorts of 10 page psychology twist-&-turns into their ships.

TPTB gave us 27 "Honey's" and it's strange that it took a Sheldon purist to spot this and not a Shenny shipper.

We just got told via tumblr that this was pointless from some nasty canon who obviously doesn't have enough on their plate worshipping the Shamy. I love tumblr so much, all you have to do is block them and they are gone... forever, and the world just seems rosy again. Blossom
Actually since she started calling him honey I've head cannoned that she thinks herself as Rose Tyler. Stupid girl, no A levels and Everyone knows that Rose Tyler doesn't deserve the Doctor especially Rose herself, so she has to make do with a very faint copy of the Doctor. Somebody that she'll never love as much but will give her the impression that she's with the true Doctor.

It's how I get through Penny's drinking and not kicking Leonard to the curb.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
(08-19-2014, 03:01 AM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: TPTB gave us 27 "Honey's" and it's strange that it took a Sheldon purist to spot this and not a Shenny shipper.

We just got told via tumblr that this was pointless from some nasty canon who obviously doesn't have enough on their plate worshipping the Shamy. I love tumblr so much, all you have to do is block them and they are gone... forever, and the world just seems rosy again. Blossom

A Sheldon Purist avoiding their work with a 10,000 strong army of vengeance!
I was going to get all sarky about the word "pointless" being used to describe an item in a thread SPECIFICALLY DESIGNED FOR POINTLESS THINGS, but then realised you meant you posted it on Tumblebum, so the apparent fucknut hasn't seen the context.

Mark my words this graph will be used as "evidence" that we are dementedly twisting the plot, rather than merely amusedly pointing out plot discrepancies and oddities in the character's syntax.

What's up next then - The collation of Wolowitzian pick-up lines?
I might collect Sheldon's Projections..."He's an odd duck isn't he?"
The following 1 user Likes Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Gamma
I would like to see a graph reflecting how many times in each season Sheldon said something about him winning a Nobel Prize.
Um, how many occurances per season and based on that info can we predict for this season?
(08-19-2014, 09:19 AM)Dsnynutz Wrote: I would like to see a graph reflecting how many times in each season Sheldon said something about him winning a Nobel Prize.

[Image: 24938-Clipart-Illustration-Of-A-Decreasi...-White.jpg]
The following 4 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • queenoftheDales, Tuesday Pajamas, Toad, Nutz