2 Dirty Socks
9.09%
1 9.09%
3 Dirty Socks
18.18%
2 18.18%
Total 11 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

8.02 The Junior Professor Solution (September 22)
I actually liked Howard questioning Sheldon about engineering and how easily Sheldon answered the questions. It tied into his earlier comment with the Hawking episode that he thought Howard was good at what he did--it's just that engineering wasn't particularly noteworthy. And Leonard's right, what Sheldon said to Howard was better than anything said to him. I haven't heard Sheldon suggest to Howard that he should retire to do something else.

As for this episode, it is encouraging that the university opened the professorship to Sheldon so as to keep him there. They have to know, given his various guest lecturer jobs, that he 'sucks the big one' when it comes to teaching. What I didn't like was Sheldon's reaction to there being no students in his class. If anything, I'd expect him with his jacket off and sleeves rolled up working on dark matter on the board. If a student did come into his class he'd assign an impossible question and tell her not to come back until it's solved so he could return his attention to his research. It's another case where 'grown up Sheldon' has overshadowed his true personality and pursuit of knowledge.

As for the 'besties' plot line I have to admit that I tuned it out for the most part. Having Amy play off of her friends and find it titillating her high school imagination is beyond sad. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really recall people who've been bullied in high school wanting to relive it, even if for more 'positive' results. However, playing one 'friend' off another isn't exactly positive, is it? If this is how 'adult Amy' treats her other adult friends I'd hate to see how she would have been if she'd been a teenager with friends. Or wait, am I supposed to believe that 'all teenage girls act like this' and therefore this is acceptable behavior? Again, as someone who liked s4 Amy, I wish I could say that I can't believe what new lows the writers go to when it comes to her but I'd have to have my head examined given the state of everyone else on the show.

I think what Amy did was horrible--something that on any other show but this one would be done by the villain/bitch/rival to the detriment of the protagonists. But like the Arctic, there is no reprimand for the dastardly deed. Amy gets away with treating her friends the way she does and all goes back to status quo.

Yes, this is a 'comedy' and so things are done for laughs. The only thing is that I'm trying to buy the underlying premise that these are people that genuinely love each other but it's continually undermined by how they treat each other.
Let's go exploring!
The following 2 users Like wellplayedpenny's post:
  • Gamma, Toad

Messages In This Thread
RE: 8.02 The Junior Professor Solution (September 22) - by wellplayedpenny - 09-25-2014, 07:48 AM