Mindless Nattering of Complacent Yes-Men
(01-02-2014, 06:54 AM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: Anyone interesting in having a LIKE button? I could install one.

Indeed. Then I could go back and "Like" this post. That would be very Meta wouldn't it.
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
(01-02-2014, 06:54 AM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: Anyone interesting in having a LIKE button? I could install one.

To be honest, I'm not sure. Our world has become so cold, everything and everyone has to be rated/liked. The German word "bewerten" describes it better: it means giving something value. "Bewerten" derives from "Wert" (value/worthiness), a very strong word.

But I disgress. Smile
Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint, mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist. - Carl Friedrich Gauß
I refused to install the reputation setting which came with the software. Users could give each other positive or negative reputation points. The stars are bad enough! Maybe I can change the stars to Penny Blossoms. (thinks)

Gripe - Meta I do LIKE that word Tongue
(01-02-2014, 07:12 AM)Berliner Wrote:

To be honest, I'm not sure. Our world has become so cold, everything and everyone has to be rated/liked. The German word "bewerten" describes it better: it means giving something value. "Bewerten" derives from "Wert" (value/worthiness), a very strong word.

But I disgress. Smile

O dear god, we have a philosopher on the forums!

To put my two cents in the pot (Oi! Take those filthy coins out of the soup...) I'd say a positive aspect of the "like" button is that it saves time and space. Currently if someone posts something you find risible, you have to quote it and type "Ha ha! I DO find that amusing!" instead of just "liking" the fucker. And if MANY people like your....say, picture of a cat playing the piano (no-one better bloody DARE)...then you get a whole page of people quoting the picture, going "How funny! Yes, I TOO like that."
"Liking" someone's post is also a good way of reassuring them that whatever drivel you've spun out after their post isn't hostile in intention.
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The LIKE button will also have a THANK YOU option so that's kind of nifty. I'll give it a go later.

I believe we have two philosophers on the forum Gripe Tongue
(01-02-2014, 07:58 AM)Major Gripe Wrote:
(01-02-2014, 07:12 AM)Berliner Wrote:

But I disgress. Smile

O dear god, we have a philosopher on the forums!

To put my two cents in the pot (Oi! Take those filthy coins out of the soup...) I'd say a positive aspect of the "like" button is that it saves time and space. Currently if someone posts something you find risible, you have to quote it and type "Ha ha! I DO find that amusing!" instead of just "liking" the fucker. And if MANY people like your....say, picture of a cat playing the piano (no-one better bloody DARE)...then you get a whole page of people quoting the picture, going "How funny! Yes, I TOO like that."
"Liking" someone's post is also a good way of reassuring them that whatever drivel you've spun out after their post isn't hostile in intention.

I agree, it makes the threads way more cleaner and readable. I love Ordnung (order), Ordnung muss sein! Big Grin
Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint, mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist. - Carl Friedrich Gauß
Okay that LIKE button was a bust, it doesn't work with the upgrade. I will have to snoop around for another one.
I guess I don't really like the "Like" button. Maybe it's because of my experience on the other site. When you criticized the show in any way you were insulted and told to shut up and stop watching the show. Then the usual gaggle of thugs all "Liked" the assault. It just seemed like a very bullying tactic.
I just happened to be browsing around over there and spotted someone else getting the treatment.
Just my two cents worth.
(01-03-2014, 05:09 AM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: I guess I don't really like the "Like" button. Maybe it's because of my experience on the other site. When you criticized the show in any way you were insulted and told to shut up and stop watching the show. Then the usual gaggle of thugs all "Liked" the assault. It just seemed like a very bullying tactic.
I just happened to be browsing around over there and spotted someone else getting the treatment.
Just my two cents worth.

Couldn't get the darn thing to work. So you are safe... for now Big Grin I can understand your disdain for the LIKE button after being on Orangeland. It was a weapon.
For those of you who prefer a bigger forum page, use the 'Full Screen' button on the top right and to return click on "Close full screen' in the banner heading, which brings back the full website navigation.