Out of box
The show is in decline! Can I say that here? Can I Shenny's?

I really think it's past it's peak, jumped the shark, on the slippery slope. We/I keep watching because I'm attached to the characters and TPTB know they have that loyalty and it no longer matters to produce the same quality. Aside from Community all the other sitcoms are terrible. BBT doesn't have much competition. There's some great dramas but not sitcoms.
You can say whatever the hell you like here. It's a forum for Nostalgics and Sheldonites, as well as Shenny folk, so I think it's fair to assume we're all disappointed idealists of some description.
I continue to watch the show out of morbid curiosity, as they continue to tarnish, jeer at and hobble my favourite character. It's painful but mythologically necessary. I used to go to Bullfights in Spain for the same reason...Someone had to be a (relatively) sober witness to the pantomime death of an otherwise dignified animal.
Incidentally, if you feel the need to vent in a particularly caustic fashion, please feel free to utilise "Green Lantern's Buttocks", in the Guarded by Snakes area.
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
Welcome, moonbase!

I agree. I once watched The Cushion Saturation five times in a row (yes, I did). And laughed.every.time.

With very few exceptions, I barely laugh at all now. The deterioration of the writing and the direction they're taking Sheldon are too depressing.

But I'll stick with it to the bitter end, as they say.
OH PLEASE...
Rainbow 
(12-30-2013, 08:43 AM)thetoadoftruth Wrote: Welcome, moonbase!

I agree. I once watched The Cushion Saturation five times in a row (yes, I did). And laughed.every.time.

With very few exceptions, I barely laugh at all now. The deterioration of the writing and the direction they're taking Sheldon are too depressing.

But I'll stick with it to the bitter end, as they say.

Good for you! I'll give it my best shot too. Although I am in agreement the show is not LOL funny anymore.

Welcome Moonbase, and yes you are free to discuss all positive and negative aspects. Green Lantern awaits.

I have just upgraded the site (look no Wix ads everyone) and it will be going live as soon as my host transfers over. The countdown begins and then we roll this baby out. Smile
Hello, Moonbase, nice to see ya.

What pisses me off about the show now is the constant attempt by the writers to go: "Hey guys, look! Sheldon thinks he's so smart but he's really JUST LIKE US. Behold, as he mirrors this monkey's reactions to the frightening pictures in Amy's lab! Isn't he silly?"

I no longer find it all that convincing he's a genius because they keep doing this. Seasons 5/6/7 take 1 step forward with the slipping in of the old Homo Novus, then 3 steps back when this same character flails his arms and gibbers on about trains while Amy rolls her eyes at how childish he is while she desperately tries to fit in.

You know they've spoiled one of your favourite shows when there's a HIATUS and you're not even bothered. I remember when season 2 was new, the best part of my week was Thursday, and I bit anyone's head off who tried to watch something else. Now I'll just go "Nah. E4+1 it. I'd rather watch this re-run of 8 out of 10 cats first." or "Nah. It'll be repeated at some point."
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
(12-30-2013, 04:59 AM)Moonbase Wrote: The show is in decline! Can I say that here? Can I Shenny's?

I really think it's past it's peak, jumped the shark, on the slippery slope. We/I keep watching because I'm attached to the characters and TPTB know they have that loyalty and it no longer matters to produce the same quality. Aside from Community all the other sitcoms are terrible. BBT doesn't have much competition. There's some great dramas but not sitcoms.

I keep telling myself to check out Community. It looks like my sort of show. curse you, England, for not showing Community on your Freeview channels. Or Hannibal.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
Vintage Sheldon had a childlike innocence about him that made his quirkiness endearing. Current Sheldon is just mean, childish and increasingly unlikable. But at least he's "growing".Huh
(01-01-2014, 01:08 AM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: Vintage Sheldon had a childlike innocence about him that made his quirkiness endearing. Current Sheldon is just mean, childish and increasingly unlikable. But at least he's "growing".Huh

Didn't we say all this two years ago? Remember the 'decline of the show' thread with 4ofN? Remember how they swore the science content had not decreased in favour of the relationships? It was plain as the nose on Howard's face but they denied and denied.

If you take away the oblivious, couldn't-hurt-a-fly aspect from Sheldon he's in for some serious backlash. It's what protects him and makes the character important, for want of a better word.

They didn't think it through. As soon as Weekend Vortex aired I knew what was coming. It was too conventional, the long-suffering female, dragging the male to domesticity. Not that I have a problem with domesticity, I'm wearing slippers as I type, I just don't want to be bored by it. If I wanted that I'd just watch reality TV. Big Grin
The show is in decline? Absolutely, no doubt about it. Has been since Season 4. I still can't get over the fact how fast a really good sitcom turned into a dull romcom, aka Friends 2.0. I already had a bad feeling with the introduction of the Bernadette character back in Season 3. Then in "The Plimpton Stimulation" (3x21) where Howard told everyone that he broke up with Bernadette, I was happy and relieved - unfortunately only for a short time. In "The Hot Troll Deviation" (4x04) they finally get back together. And that was THE point of no return. It was THE episode where the show went downhill, because only a couple of episodes later, Amy changed too.
Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint, mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist. - Carl Friedrich Gauß
The following 1 user Likes Berliner's post:
  • Louise
(01-01-2014, 12:21 AM)WITCHDOCTOR FANTASTIC Wrote: I keep telling myself to check out Community. It looks like my sort of show. curse you, England, for not showing Community on your Freeview channels. Or Hannibal.

You should. It took a while to get into but the more you go back to it, the better it gets. And the characterisation is superb. They created strong characters and stayed true to them, they didn't alter their personalities all this time like they do on Big Bang.

I still love Big Bang and they are very different shows but I think in time Community will end up being the seminal show of the two. For us nerds that it. Smile