Season 8 - promises and threats *SPOILERS*
“Part of what’s wonderful and unique about Sheldon is he has chosen not to play in the relationship game either way — heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, any sexuality,” Lorre said. “He has said, ‘This is not for me. I’m a scientist. All I’m interested in is science and what George Lucas thinks.’ We’ve stumbled into creating a character who has chosen a lifestyle for himself that is unique. And I don’t see any reason to modify it.”

Added fellow e.p. Bill Prady: “Sheldon has made a choice that work and all of that is where he finds his passion.”

(2010)

"These characters, as they grow, they deal with more things. Sheldon [Jim Parsons] has grown unbelievably over seven years from where we began. We could never have imagined the stories we've been doing in the past year or so six years ago," he said.
(2014)

Well, Chuck, that's because he's not the same character. It's not growth, it's dismantlement and restructuring. Of course it opens up new stories if you completely rejig someone's personality, speech-patterns, intentions, mannerisms...and remove all their particularly defining qualities like detachment, devotion to science, romantic disinterest, routines, germ phobia, eccentricity, genius etc

We had a lovely carved chair that suffered partial conflagration in a small studio fire. So we chopped the bugger up, and retooled it into a knobbly lattice for our grape vines. Looking at it now, it's certainly part of a different story, one I "couldn't have imagined" six years ago, but it's also NOT A CHAIR anymore, and has, moreover, become infested with termites.

Laboured metaphor, but I haven't had any coffee yet.
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 8 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • queenoftheDales, Gamma, Toad, Wisp, FlyingMonkey, CassandraElise, wellplayedpenny, Nutz
Watching new TBBT is like listening to a familiar song in the wrong key.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
The following 3 users Like Wisp's post:
  • devilbk, queenoftheDales, Idle Miscreant
(07-24-2014, 07:20 AM)Idle Miscreant Wrote: (2010)

"These characters, as they grow, they deal with more things. Sheldon [Jim Parsons] has grown unbelievably over seven years from where we began. We could never have imagined the stories we've been doing in the past year or so six years ago," he said.
(2014)

Well, Chuck, that's because he's not the same character. It's not growth, it's dismantlement and restructuring. Of course it opens up new stories if you completely rejig someone's personality, speech-patterns, intentions, mannerisms...and remove all their particularly defining qualities like detachment, devotion to science, romantic disinterest, routines, germ phobia, eccentricity, genius etc

We had a lovely carved chair that suffered partial conflagration in a small studio fire. So we chopped the bugger up, and retooled it into a knobbly lattice for our grape vines. Looking at it now, it's certainly part of a different story, one I "couldn't have imagined" six years ago, but it's also NOT A CHAIR anymore, and has, moreover, become infested with termites.

Laboured metaphor, but I haven't had any coffee yet.

I think the key word in Lorre's quote is unbelievably. Definition from dictionary.com:

[uhn-bi-lee-vuh-buhl]
adjective
too dubious or improbable to be believed.
so remarkable as to strain credulity; extraordinary

That sums up Sheldon's "growth," wouldn't you say?
The following 4 users Like CassandraElise's post:
  • queenoftheDales, Tuesday Pajamas, Idle Miscreant, Toad
(07-24-2014, 10:05 PM)CassandraElise Wrote: I think the key word in Lorre's quote is unbelievably. Definition from dictionary.com:

[uhn-bi-lee-vuh-buhl]
adjective
too dubious or improbable to be believed.
so remarkable as to strain credulity; extraordinary

That sums up Sheldon's "growth," wouldn't you say?

THAT was nicely spotted CassandraElise! What a choice of words...!!!! Tongue In that case I AGREE with Chuck.
The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • CassandraElise
Well I am glad that Penny is going to have a new career option and the social aspect of pharma rep would suit her. Its interesting though that tptb said that Penny wouldn't have acting success because it wasn't "realistic"(a cop out if I have ever heard one.) yet she can just become a pharmaceutical rep. I work in the medical field and have family members that were reps. You have to have at least a bachelors degree and some pretty rigorous training to be rep, so where is the reality there? Not to mention I think acting gigs would lead to better more funny storylines, but hey at least they are giving her something- I wonder if she will get a last name to go with that job.Rolleyes
Oh wow, oh wow, what an adventure.
The following 2 users Like Gamma's post:
  • Trust No One, Idle Miscreant
(07-24-2014, 11:55 PM)Gamma12 Wrote: Well I am glad that Penny is going to have a new career option and the social aspect of pharma rep would suit her. Its interesting though that tptb said that Penny wouldn't have acting success because it wasn't "realistic"(a cop out if I have ever heard one.) yet she can just become a pharmaceutical rep. I work in the medical field and have family members that were reps. You have to have at least a bachelors degree and some pretty rigorous training to be rep, so where is the reality there? Not to mention I think acting gigs would lead to better more funny storylines, but hey at least they are giving her something- I wonder if she will get a last name to go with that job.Rolleyes

I suspect that Penny is destined to only have one last name. And we all know what it is. She doesn't get to be a real person until she's married.

Since last year was about Penny and Sheldon failing, perhaps we can look forward to this year being about Leonard failing. That would be worth watching.
(07-24-2014, 11:55 PM)Gamma12 Wrote: Well I am glad that Penny is going to have a new career option and the social aspect of pharma rep would suit her. Its interesting though that tptb said that Penny wouldn't have acting success because it wasn't "realistic"(a cop out if I have ever heard one.) yet she can just become a pharmaceutical rep. I work in the medical field and have family members that were reps. You have to have at least a bachelors degree and some pretty rigorous training to be rep, so where is the reality there? Not to mention I think acting gigs would lead to better more funny storylines, but hey at least they are giving her something- I wonder if she will get a last name to go with that job.Rolleyes

Leonard is sure going to be upset with Bernie. Bernie is ruining the balance of power for Leonard. I do like that Penny is at least getting something different. Still wish Penny could work for Sheldon that way you get the Amy and Leonard jealousy going.
The following 1 user Likes Trust No One's post:
  • CassandraElise
This little news snippet suggest a long engagement for Lenny.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-fe...n-8-720528
The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • queenoftheDales
(07-26-2014, 03:33 AM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: This little news snippet suggest a long engagement for Lenny.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-fe...n-8-720528

Oh wow...didn't see that happening....Dodgy I bet it will be on-again/off-again for 2.9 more seasons too.
The following 1 user Likes queenoftheDales's post:
  • Trust No One
(07-26-2014, 06:02 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote: Oh wow...didn't see that happening....Dodgy I bet it will be on-again/off-again for 2.9 more seasons too.

Had a feeling TPTB would not rush the Lenny to the alter. I'm sure they see they have very little they could do with Howardette being married. It also makes it tougher to use the Shenny's for ratings with a married Penny. Have to think TPTB would be worried about a mass exit of the Shenny's with a Lenny marriage.