Your Definitive "Jump The Shark" Moments
My mother loathes the new episodes as well. It's oddly comforting isn't it. Particularly as she's actually a Leonard and Amy fan (or used to be) and thus is above the reproach of "bias" (or biast, if you ask certain people).
Even more interestingly, her chief reasons for disliking the show post S5 are the same as ours. Sheldon is far too shouty and obnoxious, has lost both his focus and his dignity, and Penny has lost her idealism. Etc. She feels the show has lost its innocence, and is just about a bunch of self-centered, unpleasant people. She also thinks it's not as funny. Which is perhaps most damning.
She also expresses deep horror at the prospect of Sheldon eventually being expected to perform coitus with Amy. She uses the rather odd comparison of Lao-Tzu. You wouldn't want to think about Lao-Tzu having sex! Or some other sage. It destroys their inherent otherworldliness and purity.
She may not like Sheldon particularly, but she certainly respects him. Or again, she did in the first 4 seasons.
Sheldon having sex with Penny somehow doesn't bother her at all, incidentally, because she thinks the oversexuality of Penny cancels out the absence of Sheldon's, and would nullify any sense of inappropriateness. Whereas the shapeless, "old woman" sexlessness of Amy and her cardigans, particularly in her role as "scold", sexually involved with a childlike/childish character in a superhero shirt, violates some generational principle of protecting the young. Or something of that ilk. I'm not sure entirely what she said again, I was to busy being delighted at her disquiet/disgust. And contemplating Lao-Tzu in a compromising situation.
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 13 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Toad, FlyingMonkey, devilbk, Gamma, queenoftheDales, wellplayedpenny, CassandraElise, Tuesday Pajamas, lewstonewar, Wisp, SpaceAnJL, Nutz, Jomi25

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your Definitive "Jump The Shark" Moments - by Idle Miscreant - 06-21-2014, 04:41 AM