Your Definitive "Jump The Shark" Moments
I braved a s7 episode yesterday. It is the first and last s7 episode I will watch, because it was shit. My mam usually thinks Amy is "okay", but her reaction to the schoolgirl costume and the whole fortune teller thing was so negative that I felt a rush of pride to be her spawn...

Monkey, you're very right about the show being fodder for the Amy fans. It's all about Amy's "needs" after that episode. She's a soggy mess, and that's why Sheldon is now too, because they're clearly sick of writing him and would prefer to write two Amys.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
The following 2 users Like Wisp's post:
  • Toad, Tuesday Pajamas
My mother loathes the new episodes as well. It's oddly comforting isn't it. Particularly as she's actually a Leonard and Amy fan (or used to be) and thus is above the reproach of "bias" (or biast, if you ask certain people).
Even more interestingly, her chief reasons for disliking the show post S5 are the same as ours. Sheldon is far too shouty and obnoxious, has lost both his focus and his dignity, and Penny has lost her idealism. Etc. She feels the show has lost its innocence, and is just about a bunch of self-centered, unpleasant people. She also thinks it's not as funny. Which is perhaps most damning.
She also expresses deep horror at the prospect of Sheldon eventually being expected to perform coitus with Amy. She uses the rather odd comparison of Lao-Tzu. You wouldn't want to think about Lao-Tzu having sex! Or some other sage. It destroys their inherent otherworldliness and purity.
She may not like Sheldon particularly, but she certainly respects him. Or again, she did in the first 4 seasons.
Sheldon having sex with Penny somehow doesn't bother her at all, incidentally, because she thinks the oversexuality of Penny cancels out the absence of Sheldon's, and would nullify any sense of inappropriateness. Whereas the shapeless, "old woman" sexlessness of Amy and her cardigans, particularly in her role as "scold", sexually involved with a childlike/childish character in a superhero shirt, violates some generational principle of protecting the young. Or something of that ilk. I'm not sure entirely what she said again, I was to busy being delighted at her disquiet/disgust. And contemplating Lao-Tzu in a compromising situation.
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 13 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Toad, FlyingMonkey, devilbk, Gamma, queenoftheDales, wellplayedpenny, CassandraElise, Tuesday Pajamas, lewstonewar, Wisp, SpaceAnJL, Nutz, Jomi25
Gripe, I would love to chat with your mother about, well, pretty much anything. I think it is apparent where you get your sense of the surreal from.
Yes Major, I think we all feel a bit protective of Sheldon, and Penny,(and Stuart), there's something a bit vulnerable about them.
(06-21-2014, 08:30 PM)pilot fish Wrote: Yes Major, I think we all feel a bit protective of Sheldon, and Penny,(and Stuart), there's something a bit vulnerable about them.

And all three are victims. And are victimized.
Penny has an unashamed attitude towards her sexuality. She openly admits the things she has done, expecting it to be considered normal. This makes her sexuality quite bohemian. It's certainly not off-putting in any way. Sheldon is unashamed in a different way but they are still quite similar in their openness about who they are.

Gripe - your mother is spot on. The idea of shenny is certainly more tasteful than shamy. There is something of the grandmother about Amy and Sheldon is her nephew...who's a bit slow. ICKY! Sheldon and Penny met as equal opposites.
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • queenoftheDales, Gamma
This is when I remember Penny being vulnerable, and the look she gives Sheldon after bag breaks! I don't understand how Jim makes 'lack of empathy', and 'being a know-all', so damn funny! I need to watch this again.

The following 2 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, Idle Miscreant
Thanks for posting Pilot... how incredible are they??? Heart Undiluted logic meets pure emotion. How could they change Sheldon? What the hell where they thinking, the mindless HACKS??!!! Sheldon and Penny are poetry, it's better than any of the rubbish they churn out now.

If I watch any of season 8 it will be to scoff at how the great have fallen with an almighty crash! Rant over... Rolleyes
The following 6 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, queenoftheDales, devilbk, Gamma, lewstonewar, Nutz
That is probably the answer. Logic meets Emotion, together they work as a whole, Apollo meets Dionysus (as was indicated, earlier!), they can both only become whole by absorbing what the other has in abundance. I'm just going to keep posting all my favourite moments between them, at any excuse!

The following 4 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, queenoftheDales, Idle Miscreant, Nutz
(06-24-2014, 11:18 PM)pilot fish Wrote: That is probably the answer. Logic meets Emotion, together they work as a whole, Apollo meets Dionysus (as was indicated, earlier!), they can both only become whole by absorbing what the other has in abundance. I'm just going to keep posting all my favourite moments between them, at any excuse!

Post them in one of the S/P threads you anarchic scoundrel! These are most certainly NOT shark jumping moments, these are bloody brilliant moments and they're going to get tainted by contact with discussions about spanking and coitus.

Perhaps we could start a favourite S/P interaction thread, or indeed favourite TBBT moments in total...? If anyone can be arsed. Pilot?
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 1 user Likes Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Wisp