Your Definitive "Jump The Shark" Moments
I think we can all agree that TBBT has jumped not only one shark, but about forty, in a row. (You can jump multiple sharks, right?) But we might have different opinions as to where these jumps happened. Here's mine:

-Amy, obviously, and the key moment that made me realise SHE HAD TO GO was the girl's night episode and the *shudder* netheryaeia (No idea how you spell it)
-Sheldon asking Amy to be his girlfriend.
-Sheldon kissing Amy.
-Sheldon loving alcohol all of a sudden.
- Raj and Penny becoming alcoholics.
-Penny saying she loved Leonard. I was hoping this would never happen, and we'd instead have a bittersweet (euphoric) realisation from both sides that they aren't going to be a happy couple, but no. Of course characters can have a relationship and then just be friends afterwards. Countless shows have managed that. For God's sake writer's it's not that hard, if your heart isn't really in making Lenny work.
-Sheldon befriending Wil Wheaton.
-The whole episode where Sheldon needs his hair cut, marking the arrival of the new carelessness he's had since regarding routine.
- The season 4 Raj/Penny finale significantly drained both characters' charm.
- Sheldon being racist/sexist. The problem I had with this was that it happened in season 6, during which Sheldon was steadily becoming more and more self-aware, so it felt like he KNEW how racist/sexist he was being. This isn't true to Sheldon and it will be forever used by Sheldon-haters as proof that he is a massive wanker who mistreats his beaky, hobbling "angel" of a girlfriend.
- Raj: LATER LOSERS!

(I know these probably aren't technically "sharks", in that case it can just be a list of horrible moments in the show that correlate with its decline)

Also is anyone else getting sick of people saying the "geek" culture was an "unrepresented demographic" before TBBT? I think TBBT proved to be bad for "geek" culture in the long term, as it's become ubiquitous. I thought the definition of being a "geek" was unashamedly showing a love for obscure things regardless of prejudice. TBBT does not give out this message anymore, and cheapens the value of being a genuine "geek". The universe does not end with a bang, but with a whimper.

[Image: the-big-bang-theory-cast.jpg]

[Image: wtw-BigBangTheory-ep623-jpg_180534.jpg]

What went wrong? (Look at Amy. Look at her.)
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
The following 2 users Like Wisp's post:
  • Berliner, ricardo shillyshally
No. Shan't. Can't make me.

Yeah. That sums it up. The triumphant predator baying over the corpse of her kill.
The following 5 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, queenoftheDales, Berliner, devilbk, Wisp
(05-23-2014, 03:12 PM)WITCHDOCTOR FANTASTIC Wrote: Also is anyone else getting sick of people saying the "geek" culture was an "unrepresented demographic" before TBBT? I think TBBT proved to be bad for "geek" culture in the long term, as it's become ubiquitous. I thought the definition of being a "geek" was unashamedly showing a love for obscure things regardless of prejudice. TBBT does not give out this message anymore, and cheapens the value of being a genuine "geek". The universe does not end with a bang, but with a whimper.

Yes, I've come to the same conclusion. Even in my extended social circle I see people trying too hard to be a geek/nerd. It's all so superficial or should I say shallow. These people just don't get it, they think that looking and PRETENDING to be like a geek - just because it's in vogue - enhances their image or something. And don't get me started on the science stuff: I have only one friend who understands math ... because he studies math too lol.
Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint, mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist. - Carl Friedrich Gauß
The following 1 user Likes Berliner's post:
  • Wisp
^^^^ Ugh, the dreadful Dungeons and Dragons episode MorlockMorlock Another one-and-done episode for me.

For me, the initial jumped shark was the Zazzy cat episode in season 4. I just remembering watching it thinking what the fuck is happening to Sheldon and this show?? Then tptb had Sheldon get jealous of AFF going out with Stuart and upgrading the relationship to boyfriend/girlfriend. That solidified it for me.

Honorable mention:
Penny getting back with Leonard for the umpteenth time, accepting the "boring kind of love" that only Leonard could provide.Sock
The following 2 users Like queenoftheDales's post:
  • Wisp, Tuesday Pajamas
(05-24-2014, 06:04 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote: ^^^^ Ugh, the dreadful Dungeons and Dragons episode MorlockMorlock Another one-and-done episode for me.

For me, the initial jumped shark was the Zazzy cat episode in season 4. I just remembering watching it thinking what the fuck is happening to Sheldon and this show?? Then tptb had Sheldon get jealous of AFF going out with Stuart and upgrading the relationship to boyfriend/girlfriend. That solidified it for me.

Honorable mention:
Penny getting back with Leonard for the umpteenth time, accepting the "boring kind of love" that only Leonard could provide.Sock

I can't believe I forgot that one.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
I suppose it's inevitable if a show goes on too long, they get desperate! So my moment would be Sheldon losing his integrity, and going on a computer generated date. Was that the beginning of the decline!

Is there a 'geek spectrum'? (ironic that definition of GEEK is 'An unfashionable or socially inept person').
The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Wisp
My big jump the shark moment was Penny turning into a lovesick idiot when Leonard was going away for 3 months. This after a lousy first date and showing no signs of wanting to try again.
The following 1 user Likes Trust No One's post:
  • Wisp
(05-26-2014, 07:25 AM)ses1515 Wrote: My big jump the shark moment was Penny turning into a lovesick idiot when Leonard was going away for 3 months. This after a lousy first date and showing no signs of wanting to try again.

Yeah, that was bad. And like so many Lenny moments it came out of nowhere. She was fine and dating other people and then all of a sudden she sees him as a romantic partner. No. It was so contrived with no development. Morlock
Oh wow, oh wow, what an adventure.
Electric Can Opener - everything about that episode made me angry.
(05-26-2014, 11:38 PM)spuffyfan Wrote: Electric Can Opener - everything about that episode made me angry.

And Sheldon was the only one to suffer for it (though Penny did have to put up with inadequate coitus).