International Reviews of the Big Bang Theory
Please to plonk reviews or anything of that ilk in this thread, from whatever little tinpot country you hail from, in my case Antipodean Spiderland.
Here's a review from our local rag. (Actually one of the greatest papers I've ever had the pleasure of perusing, and I spent years in Paris, dropping Gauloise ash onto my copy of Le Monde and chortling like a tit.) Writer Ben Pobjie.

http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-a...38a4p.html

If you can't be arsed clicking the link, here's the interesting bit;

"The fact is, despite the myriad and frequently justified criticisms of The Big Bang Theory, it is actually, and with reasonable regularity, pretty funny. Of course, it requires a robust threshold for comic stereotypes and over-exuberant studio audiences, and an acceptance of the fact this is a show about a group of people whose personalities range from mildly amusing to downright boring, who orbit around a massive comedic sun.

That sun is Sheldon, played by Jim Parsons and he is the difference between a quite funny sitcom and a horrific train-wreck. The arrogant, narcissistic uber-genius of BBT, who looks down on all other humans as utterly as he fails to understand them, is a classically over-the-top sitcomite, played with wheedling mastery by Parsons.

His huge intellect is inextricably tied to complete immunity to social awareness. It's good for a laugh - just don't bother paying too much attention to any scene he's not in.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-a...z31mzD26f1

Hhhhm. I'm going to find this Ben Pobjie and buy him a drink...
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 5 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • FranEssi, queenoftheDales, Wisp, devilbk, wellplayedpenny
Review of Proton which includes a little concern over the changes in Sheldon. It's a shame they didn't address the fact his transition is being 'handled' by a character without a single sliver of anything resembling sex appeal.

https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/sheldon-grieves-...00251.html
Lewstonewar found this and posted it on tumblr... The show could have been so much more!

[Image: tumblr_neu6l3AUw41tnfs0ko1_1280.jpg]
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Louise, lewstonewar
This is soooo true. LOTR, Harry Potter, superheroes...these things are at the very tip-top of popularity, in terms of current pop culture. They are huge, monster, smash-hit moneymakers. The idea that the average person has never heard of Star Wars or Star Trek is just ludicrious.

I've never read a comic book in my life, and my brother is about as far from geeky as you can get, but when I was back home in the US, we had a tradition of going to all the sci-fi or superhero-themed movies, together. That was our thing.

Incidentally, there is sooo much Avengers merchandise here in Korea, and most of it is probably bootleg/fake. Some of it is pretty cool. I might have to buy a few items, though I would feel kind of like a poser because I've only seen the movies and never read the comics...

I suppose it's the *level* and *intensity* of one's involvement that makes the difference between a geek and a casual fan.

I always thought a nerd was specifically someone who's into math and science, and a geek is someone with an intense interest in an obscure topic, whatever that topic might be...
(11-13-2014, 12:34 PM)Louise Wrote: This is soooo true. LOTR, Harry Potter, superheroes...these things are at the very tip-top of popularity, in terms of current pop culture. They are huge, monster, smash-hit moneymakers. The idea that the average person has never heard of Star Wars or Star Trek is just ludicrious.

I've never read a comic book in my life, and my brother is about as far from geeky as you can get, but when I was back home in the US, we had a tradition of going to all the sci-fi or superhero-themed movies, together. That was our thing.

Incidentally, there is sooo much Avengers merchandise here in Korea, and most of it is probably bootleg/fake. Some of it is pretty cool. I might have to buy a few items, though I would feel kind of like a poser because I've only seen the movies and never read the comics...

I suppose it's the *level* and *intensity* of one's involvement that makes the difference between a geek and a casual fan.

I always thought a nerd was specifically someone who's into math and science, and a geek is someone with an intense interest in an obscure topic, whatever that topic might be...

Don't buy into the fake geek malarky. A fan of the movies is still a fan. Like your thing in the way you want and don't let anyone tell you are doing wrong.
The following 1 user Likes lewstonewar's post:
  • Louise
Thanks.

You know, I'm a huge sucker for anything fantasy-related or anything with a magical/supernatural twist to it, but I don't often read fantasy novels, lately, because it's the writing style that sometimes turns me off, not the content. I tend to like a fairly minimalist, fast-paced writing style, and Tolkein-esque fantasy is the opposite of that. I've read the Hobbit a bunch of times, but never the trilogy.

I sometimes joke that if a book opens with a description of the landscape or the weather, I'm like "Next!"
(11-14-2014, 07:12 AM)Louise Wrote: Thanks.

You know, I'm a huge sucker for anything fantasy-related or anything with a magical/supernatural twist to it, but I don't often read fantasy novels, lately, because it's the writing style that sometimes turns me off, not the content. I tend to like a fairly minimalist, fast-paced writing style, and Tolkein-esque fantasy is the opposite of that. I've read the Hobbit a bunch of times, but never the trilogy.

I sometimes joke that if a book opens with a description of the landscape or the weather, I'm like "Next!"
thus the attraction of fanfiction.
Here's a rather long article about the rise the geek.

"Sheldon Cooper has inherited the earth. Now we all want to be him, work with him -- or sleep with him"

....according to this...

http://www.salon.com/2015/01/01/the_geek...verything/
Not so much of a review but it is news. Looks like Australia's Channel 9 won't be running BB repeats anymore.

http://themusic.com.au/news/all/2015/05/...t-be-over/
"A muted return for Sheldon, Leonard, Penny and co, hardly surprising when there were so many romantic wires left loosley dangling when last we left them. Proof, as if it were needed, that geeks are far funnier when fretting about Battlestar Galactica then getting caught up in the real world."

- London Metro, 22nd October 2015
The following 7 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • devilbk, Kimk26, Idle Miscreant, lewstonewar, Nutz, Jomi25, wellplayedpenny