Most Overrated/Underrated Shows
(05-19-2014, 06:23 PM)Idle Miscreant Wrote: My well-meaning (actually that's a lie) friends occasionally think stupid things like "Gripe would like Game of Thrones, because...er...history? (no) Plot? (possibly) Characterization? (debatable)" etc, whilst ignoring the fact that I loathe films with excessive sex, violence or dodgy accents in them.
I suspect the true reason they think I'd like it is because I've been known to watch Lord of the Rings a number of times. What they DON'T know, is that my personally edited version cuts out Frodo, Sam, Blondie (pointy ears), all of the fucking elves, most of the Orc scenes, and is pretty much just Bernard Hill dying on a battlefield over and over again. So.
I also liked Boromir, but he died also. Which isn't a spoiler because Sean Bean dies in every film he's in.
Which brings us back to Game of Thrones.
THIS is the only GOT related thing I like.

MEDIEVAL LAND FUN-TIME WORLD!

My friends tend to completely misjudge my taste in many things. I was told that I'll "definitely like" Percy Jackson The Lightning Thief because it's "my sort of thing". Never once have I expressed a fondness for teen-friendly supernatural fantasy films. I watched it and it was just as shite as I expected.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
It's interesting! New programmes; we saw it with Saga in The Bridge, and now Jesse in The Code, an increase in characters with Aspergers. Has Sheldon made Aspergers more acceptable, and more accessible to a main stream audience! I like the way whatever people are doing on their screens, including hacking, is superimposed on the screen image.

One good programme on the horizon. If you don't know Charlie Brooker; he's spent most of his career satarizing TV, politics; and tries to come up with innovative programmes, that carry on that tradition. http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/...g-jon-hamm
The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Idle Miscreant
I recently discovered Orphan Black (already mentioned by TP Tongue ) and Rectify. Rectify is so intense and different, I totally recommend it. I usually never cry, but that show had some pretty epic scenes ...

My top 5 underrated TV series for 2014 (in no order)

#1 Rectify
#2 Gotham
#3 True Detective
#4 Orphan Black
#5 Hannibal
Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint, mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist. - Carl Friedrich Gauß
I enjoy European detective programmes, and have been enjoying Spiral. But yesterday, they killed off Pierre, one of the most likeable characters. And I really felt it. It's partly the way they did it, and partly the way I'm thinking. Thankfully Werner Herzog season Film4 fron tonight.
There are a wide range of films that BB could reference. Even within scifi genre they are limited(didn't WHO call it 'geek chic'). But scifi films range from obvious, to apocalypse films, time travel films(Groundhog day,Bill and Ted's excellent adventure).

• Louise
I like the way we've managed to connect TBBT into a mass cultural network, (mostly via appropriation, but Duchamped!), to add to the internal references. I'm trying to research how general media is used to control humans. The film 'They Live' uses scifi satire to explore this>'It follows a nameless drifter referred to as "Nada", who discovers the ruling class are in fact aliens concealing their appearance and manipulating people to spend money, breed and accept the status quo with subliminal messages in mass media'.[Image: tumblr_nezzktSy7d1s6xzxco1_500.gif]
[Image: tumblr_static_5s47h6yeqmckccgcgkk4o80os.gif] No that's not Leonard. It's another sign of geek chic on BB, they don't really discuss films beyond superficial. Quite a few sci fi films are thinly disguised political satires; from The Time Machine, Avatar, to District 9, even Star Trek has aliens that look like fascists on Earth. Bit of advice, when we finally build a transportation device, just make sure there isn't a fly inside.
  • queenoftheDales
I see Orphan Black has a fourth season. Think this might be the final season. It's an interesting and quite bizarre show where one actress is playing (up till now) 10 characters. 7 in the image below...

[Image: zap-orphan-black-every-clone-played-by-tatiana-004]
Yes that's an interesting idea. I saw the wonderfully dark, but comic and even heart warming, God Bless America. No rom com happy ending! 'let's kill a few Kardashians' is a fav line.[Image: BrAKJZu8yfI.jpg]