People You Like/Admire For Whatever Reason
Actors, historical figures, musicians, whatever.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
Nikola Tesla.

Visionary, genius, so ahead of his time that he was condemned as a nutter, because he was trying to describe things that had no vocabulary or common concept. He was mocked and exploited his entire life, but he claimed and shaped the future.
The following 3 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Berliner, FlyingSolo
There's that theory that Autistic traits are a gentic aberration, that enhances humanity. This list is obviously only speculation, but they have seen so much! http://listverse.com/2011/12/05/top-10-a...n-history/
Hmm... for this I'm going to say Maj. Darryl Sandberg (Doc Sandberg as i called him), a Physician's Assistant that I worked with 7 years in the Army. He taught me everything about being a medic and encouraged me into pursuing Infectious Diseases. Plus he was one of the few that didn't treat me like a broken toy after I got hurt during our deployment.

His no-bullshit attitude to medicine is how I go about treating patients to this day. "You want hugs and kisses for your boo-boos and ouches? Go find a nurse. We don't coddle in THIS Aid Station." Surprising that he manages to stay humble with everything he has accomplished. Plus the guy was a comedian; never a dull moment.

Coolest officer I still have the pleasure of knowing.
The following 3 users Like queenoftheDales's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, Toad, FlyingSolo

[Image: klausvideo.jpg]

I still think Klaus Nomi has one of the cutest faces ever. I also admire him of course.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
(05-07-2014, 09:14 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: Nikola Tesla.

Visionary, genius, so ahead of his time that he was condemned as a nutter, because he was trying to describe things that had no vocabulary or common concept. He was mocked and exploited his entire life, but he claimed and shaped the future.

You live in England right? Then you should visit the Tesla Museum in Belgrade, it's a must see. I was there a couple of years ago ... that man was more like a prophet than a scientist. It amazes me how forward-looking he was. And it's kind of scary.
----------------
As a mathematician in the making, I'd have to go with Gauß and Archimedes. Without those two guys, mathematics as we know it, wouldn't exist.

The BIG 3:
[Image: 187px-Carl_Friedrich_Gauss.jpg]

[Image: 180px-Domenico-Fetti_Archimedes_1620.jpg]

[Image: Tesla3.jpg]
Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint, mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist. - Carl Friedrich Gauß
The following 1 user Likes Berliner's post:
  • Toad
Some individuals stand out, as having challenged the dominant ideologies. He tried to re-define 'living'! He also listened to the waves, and translated them into poems. [Image: kerouac_quote.jpg]
The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Toad
(05-07-2014, 09:14 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: Nikola Tesla.

I came across this comic on Nikola Tesla the other day on The Oatmeal and figured you'd might like to see it if you haven't already. It's pretty(really) big or I'd just post it.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/tesla
The following 2 users Like queenoftheDales's post:
  • Berliner, Toad
Tesla movie (2015): http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2772304/

Quote:This film follows Nikola Tesla's life from his rivalry with Edison to his relationships with Mark Twain, George Westinghouse, JP Morgan, for universal free energy at his lab in Wardenclyffe.

Quote:Tesla follows the life of Nikola Tesla from when he first stepped foot on American soil in 1884 to his final days living alone in his New York Hotel room. From his battles during the "War of Currents" with Thomas Edison and JP Morgan to his friendships with Mark Twain and George Westinghouse. His brilliant mind and unwavering determination would help shape the 20th century.
Man darf nicht das, was uns unwahrscheinlich und unnatürlich erscheint, mit dem verwechseln, was absolut unmöglich ist. - Carl Friedrich Gauß
[Image: BestDarwinGifEver.gif] I've got alot of respect for Charles Darwin. Incredible journeys around the world in wooden boats, to make his observations; obsessionally experimenting and testing his theories, and printing a theory that explained humans and how all life evolved. Seismic as theories go! Humans who live on other planets will evolve differently, they will effectively become alien!
The following 2 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Toad, FlyingSolo