Why Are 23.4 Million People Watching The Big Bang Theory
(05-06-2014, 10:57 AM)Dsnynutz Wrote: I saw this on Facebook yesterday, don't know if it's posted anywhere yet.
Why Are 23.4 Million People Watching The Big Bang Theory?
http://www.vulture.com/2014/05/big-bang-...tings.html

Creating a new thread here since it was brought to my attention that it might get lost in the other one. I also brought Doctors comment over to get the ball rolling

(05-06-2014, 02:45 PM)WITCHDOCTOR FANTASTIC Wrote: The thing about syndication is that it changes how a show seems to you. I started watching Frasier in a random order, so I wasn't really affected by how much the characters/writing may have changed over the years. From the start I watched TBBT in order and THEN in syndication, and because I knew what episode was from what season (With less familiar episodes to me I can tell from Sheldon's hair, amount of Amy and whether or not I give a shit about what's happening) it struck me as odd that a s5 episode could be shown straight after the pilot. VERY jarring for me, but casual watchers who haven't grown used to the natural flow of the series in order probably don't pick up on the fact that they are watching a bit of a mess.

And I think you'll find there is a weak link, article critic. Mayim. And what are they talking about, catchphrases? They've erased all of them now.

“Setting a show in an apartment building gives you that French farce feel, with people popping in all the time,” says former Seinfeld producer and writer Peter Mehlman. “It eliminates any question in the audience’s mind about what a character is doing there—these people can just be there all the time. It’s especially great when you need somebody to come in at the exact wrong moment.” - I'm not a fan of the traditional sitcom format. I like the way things are filmed, and I tend to get sick of seeing people in clumps. Unless they're the cast of Community. I put up with the stageyness in some of the "traditional" sitcoms because they're still funny, though. TBBT has become so stagey they might as well pull back at the end of every episode, reveal the cameras, and have each actor take a bow while Mayim's face gets scratched by all the roses the audience is throwing at her.

(Also, I don't agree that Abed is one of those characters that is not labelled so that they can "poke fun without offending anyone." I'd say that can only really be applied to current Sheldon. We're not forced to snort and laugh when Abed has an "episode". It's funny and quite sad, but a good balance between the two.)
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 2 users Like Nutz's post:
  • devilbk, Wisp
I have a slight issue with that idea of poking fun at people - so, if they don't have an official diagnosis, it is perfectly okay to goad them into some kind of public breakdown for others to laugh at? It's a little too akin to paying money to watch the loonies in Bedlam for my tastes.

Problem is, you are dealing with the psychology of a mob. And that works differently to the individual. It will react in accordance with the will of the majority, and descend to the simplest level of stimulus-response. The more people are involved, the more basic the entity. Subtlety is not required, everything has to be broad strokes and simple concepts. And thus, it becomes easier to steer and influence. You can't reason with it, but you can entice it with bread and circuses.
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Wisp
(05-07-2014, 01:41 AM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: I have a slight issue with that idea of poking fun at people - so, if they don't have an official diagnosis, it is perfectly okay to goad them into some kind of public breakdown for others to laugh at? It's a little too akin to paying money to watch the loonies in Bedlam for my tastes.

Problem is, you are dealing with the psychology of a mob. And that works differently to the individual. It will react in accordance with the will of the majority, and descend to the simplest level of stimulus-response. The more people are involved, the more basic the entity. Subtlety is not required, everything has to be broad strokes and simple concepts. And thus, it becomes easier to steer and influence. You can't reason with it, but you can entice it with bread and circuses.

I had a problem with that as well. They know this guy has some psychological problems but by saying we decided that he wouldn't have an official diagnosis, since that wouldn't be as funny, Just smacks of trying to have you cake and eat it too. Are we really supposed to believe that Mary never took him in for a diagnosis, especially after hearing Sheldon himself say over and over again "that he's not crazy, his mother had him tested". Where would she have gone to get psychological test that declared him "not crazy" but didn't catch what any other issues, Bubba's Tackle, Tire, and Psychological Center? Seriously, I hate that most of Hollywood thinks the audience needs things constantly dumbed down "to get it"
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Wisp