0%
0 0%
3 Dirty Socks
0%
0 0%
Total 13 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

7.24 The Status Quo Combustion
The way I see it, if Amy is still there by the start of season 8, they can fuck off. I don't care how unlikely this is, I might actually watch the show again. *gasp* I watched the episode, and, purely because of the brief glimmer of hope it gave me, I'll give it.... *cringe*... 2?.... Penny blossoms? And Penny + Sheldon, so sweet. I agree with Gamma about Leonard.

Although I've completely ignored this season up until this point due to the Shamy kiss/leech feeding time and the possibility of seeing Sheldon flap his arms and be unsettlingly aware of his offending people and still doing it, this finale was a reasonably dignified moment, but I'm afraid it's too little too late. Sheldon was made for much bigger breakthroughs than the realisation that Amy is a manipulative cow.

BlossomBlossom
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
The following 2 users Like Wisp's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, Toad
(05-19-2014, 11:34 AM)Gamma12 Wrote: I know I am a bit late with this but I re-watched the episode today.

While the Howard/Bernadette/Howard's Mom storyline was definitely nothing new, the humor wasn't as cringeworthy as it has been in the past. It was sort of amusing and largely forgettable, add Stuart at the end bonding with "Debbie" and it made a good B story to counter the heavier story involving Sheldon's breakdown.

It was nice to see serious Sheldon back again. His carefully controlled world is coming apart and I found his response to be pretty spot on for someone with his myriad social and anxiety issues. Contrary to people who think that he is just throwing a tantrum because he isn't getting his way, loosing this control is a big deal to him- its how he deals with the world around him. Not to mention these are not small problems to anyone, socially aware or not. Having to face a career crisis(especially for someone like Sheldon whose identity is his career) and a change in living arraignments at the same time would be a pretty big blow to most people. That Amy, who supposedly cares about him, saw this as an opportunity to push her agenda does nothing to elevate her character. Then she turns and blames Leonard for his running off. Yeah.

The train station. Jim, Kaley, and Johnny conveyed the emotions in the scene without being maudlin The dynamics were pretty spot on too. Leonard cares for Sheldon, but his way of handling him is to cajole and manipulate him. He wasn't really listening to what Sheldon was saying. Penny on the other hand usually takes Sheldon as he comes. If he gets on her nerves she tells him. If he is being too much she tells him. She also tends to listen to him and notice when he is having problems. So it is right that she was the one that really looked at him and listened to what he was saying and convinced Leonard that letting him go was what needed to happen. As Penny said more that once, he is a grown man. As others have said, Penny hugging Sheldon and kissing his cheek, so sweet.

The tag scene with Amy attacking Leonard. Ugh. So his girlfriend who has seen him go through a bit of a career crisis this season and, as a neurobiologist, should know a lot about Sheldon's pathologies attacks Leonard because he didn't stop a grown man from making his own decisions. Not thinking, as Penny and Leonard were, that this would be good for him and he could figure out what direction he wants his life to go next. No that would be wrong because she wouldn't be there to influence that decision. But of course the worst sin of all was that Sheldon sounded happy and he was happy without her. And people accuse Sheldon of being a self-centered jerk.

This is the first season finale I have enjoyed in several seasonsBlossomBlossom

I had to bump this because it captures so much. Here we see TPTB giving Sheldon a voice, rather than making him a clown to be ridiculed and disliked. All season the writers have pushed Amy's needs so hard it's excruciating.

Then suddenly we see Sheldon in crisis. THAT IS REAL! It's just a shame it will be used to further her intentions. The Shamy is all about desiring someone who has a limited interest in you and obtaining them by slowly wearing them down. It's positively abhorrent, to any of us who have been harassed by obsessive people.
The following 4 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Toad, queenoftheDales, devilbk, Trust No One
(05-19-2014, 04:16 PM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: I had to bump this because it captures so much. Here we see TPTB giving Sheldon a voice, rather than making him a clown to be ridiculed and disliked. All season the writers have pushed Amy's needs so hard it's excruciating.

Then suddenly we see Sheldon in crisis. THAT IS REAL! It's just a shame it will be used to further her intentions. The Shamy is all about desiring someone who has a limited interest in you and obtaining them by slowly wearing them down. It's positively abhorrent, to any of us who have been harassed by obsessive people.

If Amy is suppose to be the champion of people that were picked on, I'm not seeing it. Amy is no better than a bully herself.
The following 4 users Like Trust No One's post:
  • devilbk, queenoftheDales, Idle Miscreant, Nutz
(05-19-2014, 11:23 PM)ses1515 Wrote: If Amy is suppose to be the champion of people that were picked on, I'm not seeing it. Amy is no better than a bully herself.

Agreed, she is becoming more and more aggressive, especially when it comes to interactions with Sheldon. It's really hard to have any sympathy for the character when she lashes out like that. I don't like Leonard all that much but it was overkill for AFF to pummel him like she did.
(05-20-2014, 02:26 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote: Agreed, she is becoming more and more aggressive, especially when it comes to interactions with Sheldon. It's really hard to have any sympathy for the character when she lashes out like that. I don't like Leonard all that much but it was overkill for AFF to pummel him like she did.

Amy was throwing a tantrum because she didn't get what she wanted. She is a spoiled child.
Remember lads, as per the occasionally followed Forum Agreement, endeavour to keep mentions of other fans to a minimum. Or not at all, preferably. Partially because it's not cricket, them not being here to defend themselves, and partially because god knows we get enough reminders on every other TBBT site under the sun. I'd like to say this is a cult-free environment, but actually I think it's quite obvious that we're "The Church of Sheldon"...

*removes ridiculous jester-like mod hat*
ON OTHER MATTERS...

On the topic of that monstrous D word...Aside from the fact that the notion of Deserving anything implies either some sort of absolute balance in the universe, with everything doled out in equal measure, “except for one person who is not getting their quota”, which has utterly no observable validity, nobody "deserves love" merely for existing. If anything, if you were going to designate “who deserves what” (and how?) it would have to be based on a meritocracy.

Love is not some "god given right". If you wish to be loved, do something inspiring of love. If you wish to be respected, earn respect through your actions. If you do a hard day's work under a specific contract, you have a “right” to be paid under the terms of that contract. You do not have a "right" to your opinion, nor a "right" to be loved. You can talk, and people can listen or not, and you can go about your life and endeavour to inspire love, but nothing is granted unto anyone.

This notion that Amy deserves love. Why? Is she particularly kind? No. In fact, she's often rude and judgemental. Particularly generous and selfless with her time? Only when it serves her needs. Helping Raj with his dating profile is one of the few non-selfish things I can remember her doing, and even that ended with her making a date with Emily for herself. She used Penny’s upset at Leonard dating Priya to perform an experiment on grief. Bernadette’s wedding was all about a single bridesmaid…etc.

The only thing that perhaps warrants sympathy is that she was lonely as a child. Given, however, her current behaviour, and the manifold descriptions of her behaviour growing up, I’m not particularly surprised. Children can be oddly good judges of character. If they’re avoiding someone, it’s possibly because they’re inherently mean-spirited, or untrustworthy, or merely weak-willed or parasitical. Yes they can also ostracise the odd or unusual, but strange children find other strange children to associate with, or they look at the “popular kids” and determine they’re morons, or that they are unnecessary to their own sense of self-worth. But Amy was evidently determined to attach herself to a clique, or the In-crowd, which makes me suspicious of her motives. Does she love Sheldon, or is she trying to possess him? Attaching yourself like a lamprey to a greater force is a sign of weakness of character. A weak character is not attractive on any level, and is certainly not “deserving” of anything, except in their own heads.

This has turned into a rant again…But I know this notion of anyone “deserving” love creeps the bejesus out of most of the members here. Partially because it smacks of entitlement, and partially because the ultimate application of it in the TBBT universe is that Leonard “deserves” Penny, and Amy “deserves” Sheldon. Like Penny and Sheldon are a fucking treat for eating all their broccoli. Or a trip on a goddamn pony, because they didn’t throw a tantrum in the car. Except they did throw a tantrum, and they’re STILL being given the pony ride.

Well except in this episode one of the ponies scarpered. Poor bastard will probably be sent to the glue factory when he returns…

Morlock
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 9 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Toad, Gamma, queenoftheDales, devilbk, Tuesday Pajamas, Berliner, Wisp, lewstonewar, Jomi25
Well except in this episode one of the ponies scarpered. Poor bastard will probably be sent to the glue factory when he returns…

Morlock
[/quote]

Fuckin' brilliant rant!
The following 1 user Likes devilbk's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas
I may be the biggest cynic ever but I can't imagine that Sheldon going awol for the summer will bring about any dramatic change in the show. We have been here before circa the end of season 3 - Penny walked away from the relationship with Leonard when things got too overwhelming. You might think apples and oranges - that these two situations are nothing alike. Penny never left (I actually think she should have because it would have done her a world of good and she probably wouldn't have ended up in the situation she is in now). And Sheldon bolted because life was changing at a rate he wasn't comfortable with. But isn't Amy's request to move in with him part of the reason he left? I admit I haven't watched the finale in its entirety - and I feel no motivation to do so.

My point is the show is about romance now and its predictable- so I can't imagine that tptb won't use Sheldon's journey as a plot device to move the Shamy into the next phase of their relationship - absolute fuckery but to be expected. Perhaps I am being too literal about it but I think that episode with the psychic is foreshadowing of what is to come. Let's face it, they have stripped away all Sheldon's quirkiness to the point that most people are starting to find him annoying. And for the short-sighted viewers, he can be redeemed if he gives into the relationship with Amy. And that episode proves that they have anchored Sheldon's happiness and career onto his relationship with Amy for pit-sake, and they are not going to back-track from that. I know that tptb are not really good at continuity, but I am sure that the Shamies would never let them forget especially since there is always a massive Shamy crowd at tbbt related events.

So get ready for Sheldon to become the new Penny circa season 4 and 5 - or they might just rip the band-aid off quickly by having Sheldon and Amy move in together in the first episode of the new season. I just wish that Sheldon can win the Nobel as well as boink Amy - but who am I kidding, that will likely go to Leonard.

So like some of you lovely folks, this will be my last season. No more. I have punished myself too much with this show. Besides, I did have plans to become a millionaire by the age of 30. It's about time I start to do something about it.
The following 3 users Like spuffyfan's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, queenoftheDales, FranEssi
Spuffy - welcome to "The Series is Over" club. Your expectations for the next three seasons are exactly right. We already know how the story will end and it's something I simply refuse to watch. Better to remember Sheldon as he was before he is conquered. As of right now, he's free of his predator, and that's how I choose to remember him
The following 2 users Like FlyingMonkey's post:
  • spuffyfan, Idle Miscreant
(05-27-2014, 12:24 AM)spuffyfan Wrote: So like some of you lovely folks, this will be my last season. No more. I have punished myself too much with this show. Besides, I did have plans to become a millionaire by the age of 30. It's about time I start to do something about it.

I'm meant to be living on a three-masted frigate moored in the Mediterranean, only leaving to attend book signings. I've let this plan slide somewhat as well. Quite right. We must get back on track! Or boat.

As for the show being about relationships now, I've had some spectacularly idiotic arguments about that...I think we all have. It generally ends with them triumphantly brandishing a ridiculously piss-weak little list of "science moments" from the last season, as though this somehow nullifies the fact that this used to be a show about 5 individuals, and is now a show about 3 couples.
4 couples soon!
And god help you if you're a fan of only ONE hostage...er..member of those couples. I mean if, heaven forfend, you like Penny but don't like Leonard, or like Sheldon, but not his girlfriend. You're utterly screwed if so, because these characters no longer have any independent validity or volition.

In real life nobody expects you to like your friend AND HIS WIFE equally. Or your other friend and her stooge of a boyfriend. You have your pals, whom you care about, and are interested in as individual entities, but suddenly it's as though every time you meet them, their bloody partners turn up as well (usually through some measure of jealously or control) and they both sit there having a domestic argument. Perhaps then they'll make up, and be all lovey-dovey. Which is worse. Point is, it's their private matter, and they shouldn't force it on an audience.

TBBT is now 22 minutes a week of being forced to witness the private matters of your friend and his wife, your pal and her boyfriend, over and over and over....And a few minutes of Bob Newhart in the Degobah swamp doesn't make up for the sense of being smothered in a triumvirate of couples' dirty laundry.

I'll be watching the first episode of Season 8, but if Sheldon returns from his brief respite and moment of freedom, only to have his restraining ropes tightened, or is immediately harpooned and pulled on board the "Deserving Ship Amy" I refuse to witness his subsequent flensing and rendering down to complete banality and broken domestic servitude.

As Monkey says, this is the series Finale for him, and I fear it might be for me also, unless Sheldon is given his high-mindedness and devotion to science back. But that's not going to bloody happen, is it.

So whilst we're retconning finales, I might choose episode 4.19 The Zarnecki Incursion, as the end of TBBT. It has a cracker of an opening line "Why hast thou forsaken me, O deity whose existence I doubt?", the lads charging off to Ride of the Valkyries, Queen Penelope kicking a bully in the nuts for Sheldon and rescuing his battle ostrich, Sheldon with a Bat'leth (briefly) and possibly the oddest line in the whole series "Stale pastry is hollow succour to a man who is bereft of ostrich." Which is just...beautiful...

[Image: germaphobe-sheldon.gif?w=500&h=249]
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 6 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Toad, Trust No One, Gamma, spuffyfan, Wisp, Berliner