Season 8 Musings
(08-21-2014, 04:24 AM)devilbk Wrote: If we were dealing with reality, Leonard, Raj and Howard would have lost their jobs after season 2 for academic malfeasance, Bernie would be dead because she plays fast and loose with deadly pathogens and Amy would never have survived high school. And Sheldon would likely be in jail for hacking government computers. TBBT isn't reality. But it's not even good fantasy. It's a group of not very likable snooty people who make fun of each other and everyone else while their own lives are pretty ordinary.

I did not mean to upset you. We all know this show is unrealistic. I'm just saying, that storyline could be better.
(08-21-2014, 01:27 PM)Louise Wrote: I did not mean to upset you. We all know this show is unrealistic. I'm just saying, that storyline could be better.

Louise, I'm not upset with you. I was merely expanding on your remark. Unfortunately I was seriously unfunny. TBBT has a very warped sense of reality. While that may be appropriate for a sitcom, I find the choices they make about portraying reality disturbing and annoying.
(08-21-2014, 07:11 PM)devilbk Wrote: Louise, I'm not upset with you. I was merely expanding on your remark. Unfortunately I was seriously unfunny. TBBT has a very warped sense of reality. While that may be appropriate for a sitcom, I find the choices they make about portraying reality disturbing and annoying.

"I find the choices they make about portraying reality disturbing and annoying."

I do, too :/

(08-21-2014, 07:11 PM)devilbk Wrote: Louise, I'm not upset with you. I was merely expanding on your remark. Unfortunately I was seriously unfunny. TBBT has a very warped sense of reality. While that may be appropriate for a sitcom, I find the choices they make about portraying reality disturbing and annoying.

It's hard to detect tone, sometimes, online Wink
(08-21-2014, 07:56 PM)Louise Wrote: "I find the choices they make about portraying reality disturbing and annoying."

I do, too :/

It's hard to detect tone, sometimes, online Wink

Too true. And I often come across as cranky.
I know this may never happen and I don't plan on watching this season, but I wish they'd bring back the Sheldon/Wheaton rivalry. I think making them buddies was a bad move on the writer's part. I wonder if tptb made them friends just so they'd have a reason to push the Shamy storyline. You know, having Sheldon stick up for "his woman" (drunk, no less) and having to choose between the two so they can show AFF has some kind of emotional standing with him.

It seems to me that the character interactions with Sheldon were better when they are going toe-to-toe; meet Sheldon on his level. People forget Sheldon didn't use to be a bumbling clown who needed to have his hand held through life.
The following 4 users Like queenoftheDales's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, devilbk, Toad, Jomi25
Found this on Livejournal, don't know what fandom it's in reference to, but it seems...descriptive. (I did not write this, I found it.)

"As a general rule, if you find everything about someone's personality annoying, their dating style drives you up a wall, they have a laundry list of bad habits that you find intolerable, and you have nothing in common--the solution is to not date them. It's not for them to rewrite their entire personality while you communicate in snidely cryptic comments and icy silences and complain about it constantly to all your mutual friends (who are, of course, doing everything short of locking the two of you in a closet together, because your relationship issues are the center of everyone else's lives).

I mean, okay, this does happen depressingly often in real life, but it isn't romantic, and it isn't going to lead to a healthy relationship at the end. Which, if that's what you want to write, there's nothing wrong with that, but be honest about what you're doing. I know there's the intersection of fluff and h/c where helping someone get over their Issues is a part of the relationship building, but it's hard to root for a romance between two people who to all appearances hate each other's guts.

I think this happens a lot when writers have an OTP where they only actually like one half of the pairing. It's understandable, but it's still annoying as hell."
The following 6 users Like Louise's post:
  • Idle Miscreant, Gamma, queenoftheDales, CassandraElise, Toad, Jomi25
If nothing else, S8 gives the writers the opportunity to use the word "vortex" 2 or 3 more times, since the episode titles have grown as unimaginative as the rest of it...
I'll admit I like that "Settlers of Cataan" scene, but the point still stands:

[Image: 255rgia.jpg]
The following 5 users Like Louise's post:
  • devilbk, SpaceAnJL, Gamma, lewstonewar, Toad
Tongue-in-cheek but very true quote, from this webcomic site:

http://hijinksensue.com/

"Teaching kids to deal with and even anticipate disappointment is tough. Teaching them that certain humans called “Genre Fiction Showrunners” revel in building up their hopes, just to dash them against the bloody rocks is nearly impossible. Children want to believe people are basically good, but they lack the experience and emotional sophistication to comprehend that many showrunners often are not."
The following 1 user Likes Louise's post:
  • Idle Miscreant
(09-18-2014, 10:45 AM)Louise Wrote: I'll admit I like that "Settlers of Cataan" scene, but the point still stands:

[Image: 255rgia.jpg]

I loathe that scene with all my soul...Possibly an overstatement...Suffice to say it represents everything I detest about S5.

You've got your Howard's bachelor party, I've got Sheldon droning on unfunnily about erections. Everyone has their bête noire.

My bête noire of Season 5 has multiple heads; This scene, Sheldon getting his head stuck in a hole, Sheldon polishing the urine stains off Howie's belt-buckles, Sheldon sucking at basketball with Kripke (who has previously been shown to have athletic skill, btw), Sheldon asking Amy to be his girlfriend, Sheldon screaming like a little girl about the transporter, Sheldon putting the train in his mouth, Sheldon saying he's going to be a "mommy"....Essentially all of Season 5 actually. The only bits I liked concerned Howard in training/space. Otherwise Sheldon was so idiotic/rude/childish it was humiliating to watch.
I can't even bear the Shenny scenes ("We're like an old married couple" "A good wife would go to the store", Sheldon asking Penny on a date, being mistaken for a couple at the jeweler etc)...if Sheldon's a redneck yobbo, what's the point?

Presumably this should make Season 8 easier to hear about. If Sheldon's acting like an obnoxious, charmless, Huxleyan semi-moron, then who cares whether he gives up science in favour of coitus/matrimony with that miserable, complaining, burlap-sack of a character. Actually, his current personality is probably why she seems constantly annoyed with him. Or ashamed of him, or angry with him, or...
Jesus christ I need a stress pill.

[Image: hal-9000-space-odyssey-2001-dave-sad-hill-news.jpg]
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 1 user Likes Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Toad