Theoretical science discussion!
[Image: med_robot_mech_brain.jpg]
The following 2 users Like ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • wellplayedpenny, Idle Miscreant
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/se...rch-papers
A look at the universe... and where we are on the map.

The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • ricardo shillyshally
^Mind blowing! I watched some fascinating programmes about the cosmos(BBC4) recently. Apparently the Earth has 6 billion years before it is consummed by our sun, and even the cosmos its self will die when stars run out of hydrogen to burn, and everything goes dark! It also showed how our four guys are actually a team, working together. Theoretical physicists come up with concepts(like White Dwarfs, or Super Massive Black Holes), which they then prove exist with maths, experimental physicists also come up with ideas but generally use experiments to prove, or disprove the concepts of theretical physicists. Astrophysicists also try to prove or disprove the concepts put forward by the other two, through observation of the cosmos, and analysing data. Aerospace Engineers then test the theories by designing, and building satelittes, and space craft(incl:telescopes), that can actually see, or go and test the theories.
Not to mention before the big lights out our galaxy is on a collision course with Andromeda. Eventually there will be nothing left in the universe as even black holes will collapse. Makes me feel especially privileged to be alive and able to experience the universe in its bustling glory.
Let's go exploring!
Sounds like we're in for quite a ride. In films like Danny Boyle's Sunshine they have self sustaining space craft(growing their own food,etc), it's a shame we don't see the Earth like that, a giant space craft that we need to take care of.

The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • wellplayedpenny
I am interested in our relationship with technology. Automatons were once viewed as entertainment. Then they were envisioned as servants of humans. Recently they have been viewed as destroyers. imagination eh!

The following 1 user Likes ricardo shillyshally's post:
  • Idle Miscreant
History of SciFi programme showed inspiration for C-3PO>[Image: Metropolis_Maria_scene_1.gif] which gives us the humanoid evolutionary strand>[Image: ceatec_robot_2.jpg] Also how droid strand, inc: R2-D2, came from makers of Silent Running, realised they could use amputees(to get non-human look)>[Image: Silent-running-frankenstein-x640.jpg] which gives us this type>[Image: K5-by-Knightscope-004.jpg]
The little one looks like a coffee grinder.

(07-16-2014, 04:22 AM)ricardo shillyshally Wrote: [Image: med_robot_mech_brain.jpg]

Is the Plot Robot responsible for recent seasons of BBT??
Yes that's what I was thinking. I bet there's some plot producing program. That's the 'K5 autonomous crime prevention robot'(and that's all I know). I think they've replaced all the workers behind the scenes, with robots like Howard's robotic arm, and now they are developing humanoid ones as ; receptionists, security guards, teachers. They think we'll interact better if they look humanoid. I think I find them a bit creepy. Another receptionist! [Image: Robot-receptionist-007.jpg]