0%
0 0%
3 Dirty Socks
0%
0 0%
Total 12 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

7.21 The Anything Can Happen Recurrence
(04-25-2014, 09:15 PM)Major Gripe Wrote: Having spent the week gambling on the horse-type-things with my violently tall and hyperactive Irish-type friend, my mind is a ball of tatters soaked in the dregs of wine, so forgive any lack of clarity. As usual.

First off, I forced my pally to watch a few episodes earlier, so I’ve got Adhesive Duck on the brain now.

Good fucking GRIEF there’s a difference between now and then! And Sheldon and Penny’s interaction in that episode…The peculiar tension, the layered fondness, I’m not a romantic but it’s utterly delightful! And Parsons' Sheldon…The rhythm, the highly strung flickering of movement, the tightly drawn twang in his poise, the fluting voice, he’s bloody mesmerising. An artist by god! Why did he change his mannerisms!

This has to be the loveliest most genuine scene in the whole series.

[Image: tumblr_llyt4tPtEB1qaraif.gif]

Sigh. Anyway, back to the “Malarky”

I’m sorry, but what the fuck was all that psychic business?
I felt distinctly like some religious fanatics were trying to foist pamphlets on me. Enough of this proselytizing bullshit. If you have to tell the audience WHAT TO FEEL AND THINK you’re obviously failing at an accurate portrayal.

First dead-man Stuart waxing lyrical about the Lenny out of left field, now some hocus-pokery backed up by Penny of all people. No wonder Sheldon was pissed.

Sheldon is meant to “give himself” to the relationship is he? HOW? What more can he do that he isn’t already doing? He IS telling her about his problems and she doesn’t want to hear. We’ve SEEN what happens when he’s "himself" around her. She tells him he’s annoying. She yells at him. She is weary and exhausted. She buggers off to drink wine instead of listening to him. WHAT precisely is Sheldon meant to gain by “giving himself” any further to that? And what IS further? Sex? Spare me…

Be more affectionate towards her? You can’t force affection out of someone. If he doesn’t feel it, he doesn’t feel it. It’s not like she’s a particularly nice person either. She’s very rude. Why do her fans think she “deserves” affection? Because they identify with her and feel they deserve affection themselves? I’m sure they do, and that they’re lovely people, but Fowler isn’t. They shouldn’t take criticism of Amy personally. It has nothing to do with them. Amy is fictional.

Also, for a character that’s explicitly being crafted into a catchment for the audience’s sympathies, Amy came across as exceedingly unpleasant in this episode.

She lied to Sheldon, snorted at Penny and Leonard’s relationship, was VERY EVIDENTALLY jealous in a mean-spirited way about Penny, then kicked Leonard in the teeth when he intimated he was enjoying their time together. She’s an obnoxious, self-pitying, self-centred arsehat. And an absolute joysuck. I feel my heart chilling by about 5 degrees whenever she lurks into view.

Pajamas, you asked in le grumblebox what I got from Sheldon’s expression in that scene being bandied about.

I got “intense frustration, disbelief, anger, interest”. In decreasing order of magnitude. Frustration because EVERYBODY is bloody determined to bring everything back to sex and relationships. He’s asking about his career! I’d be frustrated and offended too. As for interest, his career and life’s purpose is collapsing around him. If someone tells him confidently they have the key to his professional problems (even if they’re a malarky-peddler doing a cold reading) of course he’s going to be interested!

My immediate reading of the TAG scene was 1) we’re meant to be laughing AT Amy, and the writers are being a bit mean as usual 2) Amy must have short-circuited to think Sheldon would be interested sexually in a Catholic girl’s school uniform, and 3) the “gulp” that approximately five fans are hideously excited about came across as a gulp of apprehension and trepidation. If anyone interprets it as sexual interest than they’re showing a wilful blindness to the entirety of Sheldon’s history of non response to traditional sexual stimuli. And indeed blindness to his entire character.

I might add that taking the high road about “Shamy” being all about the mind (as opposed to Lenny/Shenny, they say), then losing one’s proverbial shit about any screed of interest Sheldon might show in Amy’s physical appearance, is a little hypocritical.

I'm starting to get the impression that ALL some folk care about is Sheldon showing physical affection. This must be massively aggravating to Shamy fans who were genuinely interested in a relationship of the mind.

Again, I suspect this is a case where the fans are making me more irritated than the show, and I am MORE than sure my comments HERE are irritating other fans, so I don't really know what the solution is other than steadfast avoidance of other forums. Advice there to myself and to any guests reading this.

Anyroad, after all that blether...
I laughed at Howard and Raj flinching and writhing in horror on the couch, and I'm always melancholically happy about any P/S scenes, but all in all this is another episode where the flaws scuppered any enjoyment I might have had in Penny and Sheldon's interaction. All I want to say to them both is run, run the FUCK away, right now.

Fortunately, one of them does shortly. Although he’s probably been electronically tagged, so the poor bastard won’t get far…

This post is just absolute perfection!! Blossom I mean seriously Gripe, I can't believe you haven't been promoted to Colonel yet!! You continually amaze me with your spot on analysis, razor sharp wit, and breathtaking eloquence all seemingly wrapped together so effortlessly. There is only one thing left for me to do…

[Image: 8487456]
The following 3 users Like Satnight815's post:
  • Jislane35, Jomi25, Will_I_BGraded_OnThis
(04-25-2014, 09:15 PM)Major Gripe Wrote: Having spent the week gambling on the horse-type-things with my violently tall and hyperactive Irish-type friend, my mind is a ball of tatters soaked in the dregs of wine, so forgive any lack of clarity. As usual.

First off, I forced my pally to watch a few episodes earlier, so I’ve got Adhesive Duck on the brain now.

Good fucking GRIEF there’s a difference between now and then! And Sheldon and Penny’s interaction in that episode…The peculiar tension, the layered fondness, I’m not a romantic but it’s utterly delightful! And Parsons' Sheldon…The rhythm, the highly strung flickering of movement, the tightly drawn twang in his poise, the fluting voice, he’s bloody mesmerising. An artist by god! Why did he change his mannerisms!

Sigh. Anyway, back to the “Malarky”

I’m sorry, but what the fuck was all that psychic business?
I felt distinctly like some religious fanatics were trying to foist pamphlets on me. Enough of this proselytizing bullshit. If you have to tell the audience WHAT TO FEEL AND THINK you’re obviously failing at an accurate portrayal.

First dead-man Stuart waxing lyrical about the Lenny out of left field, now some hocus-pokery backed up by Penny of all people. No wonder Sheldon was pissed.

Sheldon is meant to “give himself” to the relationship is he? HOW? What more can he do that he isn’t already doing? He IS telling her about his problems and she doesn’t want to hear. We’ve SEEN what happens when he’s "himself" around her. She tells him he’s annoying. She yells at him. She is weary and exhausted. She buggers off to drink wine instead of listening to him. WHAT precisely is Sheldon meant to gain by “giving himself” any further to that? And what IS further? Sex? Spare me…

Be more affectionate towards her? You can’t force affection out of someone. If he doesn’t feel it, he doesn’t feel it. It’s not like she’s a particularly nice person either. She’s very rude. Why do her fans think she “deserves” affection? Because they identify with her and feel they deserve affection themselves? I’m sure they do, and that they’re lovely people, but Fowler isn’t. They shouldn’t take criticism of Amy personally. It has nothing to do with them. Amy is fictional.

Also, for a character that’s explicitly being crafted into a catchment for the audience’s sympathies, Amy came across as exceedingly unpleasant in this episode.

She lied to Sheldon, snorted at Penny and Leonard’s relationship, was VERY EVIDENTALLY jealous in a mean-spirited way about Penny, then kicked Leonard in the teeth when he intimated he was enjoying their time together. She’s an obnoxious, self-pitying, self-centred arsehat. And an absolute joysuck. I feel my heart chilling by about 5 degrees whenever she lurks into view.

Pajamas, you asked in le grumblebox what I got from Sheldon’s expression in that scene being bandied about.

I got “intense frustration, disbelief, anger, interest”. In decreasing order of magnitude. Frustration because EVERYBODY is bloody determined to bring everything back to sex and relationships. He’s asking about his career! I’d be frustrated and offended too. As for interest, his career and life’s purpose is collapsing around him. If someone tells him confidently they have the key to his professional problems (even if they’re a malarky-peddler doing a cold reading) of course he’s going to be interested!

My immediate reading of the TAG scene was 1) we’re meant to be laughing AT Amy, and the writers are being a bit mean as usual 2) Amy must have short-circuited to think Sheldon would be interested sexually in a Catholic girl’s school uniform, and 3) the “gulp” that approximately five fans are hideously excited about came across as a gulp of apprehension and trepidation. If anyone interprets it as sexual interest than they’re showing a wilful blindness to the entirety of Sheldon’s history of non response to traditional sexual stimuli. And indeed blindness to his entire character.

I might add that taking the high road about “Shamy” being all about the mind (as opposed to Lenny/Shenny, they say), then losing one’s proverbial shit about any screed of interest Sheldon might show in Amy’s physical appearance, is a little hypocritical.

I'm starting to get the impression that ALL some folk care about is Sheldon showing physical affection. This must be massively aggravating to Shamy fans who were genuinely interested in a relationship of the mind.

Again, I suspect this is a case where the fans are making me more irritated than the show, and I am MORE than sure my comments HERE are irritating other fans, so I don't really know what the solution is other than steadfast avoidance of other forums. Advice there to myself and to any guests reading this.

Anyroad, after all that blether...
I laughed at Howard and Raj flinching and writhing in horror on the couch, and I'm always melancholically happy about any P/S scenes, but all in all this is another episode where the flaws scuppered any enjoyment I might have had in Penny and Sheldon's interaction. All I want to say to them both is run, run the FUCK away, right now.

Fortunately, one of them does shortly. Although he’s probably been electronically tagged, so the poor bastard won’t get far…

MUST FIND SOMETHING PLEASANT TO SAY.

Bad Mod being cranky and setting a bad example…

Very very happy to see Penny, Sheldon and Leonard careening around together. The old crew. Their threeway interactions are always wonderfully balanced.
I do hope they all live together at some point. Or at least if Sheldon’s in Penny’s, she can go triple-knock on her old door and annoy HIM for a change.

Penny and Sheldon’s restaurant scene was very enjoyable. I particularly liked Sheldon’s brief impersonation of Penny’s conversation. Only pals do that sort of pisstakery with each other. And payback for her Ventriloquist-jostling of the week before.

As said, Howard and Raj were very amusing. (HELBERG NEEDS AN AWARD YOU BASTARDS)

Emily is interesting, although I thought it cheapened her character a bit to say she got turned on by hyper violence. Her and Raj play off each other rather naturally. Hope that goes well.

Rauch is hilarious in some of her deliveries. Great comedic actor.

Favourite line of episode; “I don’t understand my food.”

So you hector us into posting a review and then proceed to post EXACTLY what I would have posted? The bolded bits are like some kind of psychic plagarism of my thoughts.

So anyway, it was one of the better episodes of the season although that bar is set pretty low. One Penny blossom. It occurred to me that a feeling of relief comes over me whenever AFF wasn't in a scene. Her presence is always like a dark, ominous cloud. Everyone just seems on edge whenever she's around.

I loved seeing the Big 3 together again without all the secondary characters. Some great bantering.

Sheldon/Penny scenes have become so rare that even though they weren't Vintage they were still pretty good. And “I don’t understand my food.” IS one the great lines in the entire run of the show.

Howard & Raj were solid if not great.

My thought during the psychic scene was "Oh, come on!!". Could you be any more heavy handed with the foreshadowing? I was sure that as soon as they left, AFF was going to appear from behind the curtain and hand the psychic a lot of money.

The Tag, couldn't watch it. Putting AFF in a schoolgirl outfit is basically the writers telling the viewers, "Let's all laugh at the ugly girl trying to be sexy!". It comes across as cruel to her and her fans who so closely identify with her. But, they don't seem to realize they're being mocked. Tis more the pity.
The following 6 users Like FlyingMonkey's post:
  • Jislane35, Tuesday Pajamas, Idle Miscreant, devilbk, Jomi25, Will_I_BGraded_OnThis
(04-25-2014, 10:18 PM)Satnight815 Wrote: [Image: 8487456]

[Image: 230703-bigthumbnail.jpg]

Don't encourage me Sat, I'm trying to reign in my ranting...Particularly as I'm easily outclassed by the other Rant Supremos round these parts...I suspect the combined snark of this forum could eat through iron. (But thankee kindly!)
As a present, and to cheer everyone up, here's Alda being a marvelously colossal wanker in Crimes and Misdemeanors.

(04-25-2014, 10:55 PM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: I loved seeing the Big 3 together again without all the secondary characters. Some great bantering.

Sheldon/Penny scenes have become so rare that even though they weren't Vintage they were still pretty good. And “I don’t understand my food.” IS one the great lines ever in the entire run of the show.

Even though I generally shun the 5th Season with a sort of face-twitching spasm of dread, I always liked "These shrimp are all the same size. There's no logical order to eat them in."

Raj's line and general delivery about being kind to his rabbit subjects. At first. Is still one of my all time favourites...We should make a collection?

And aye...I miss the Big Three terribly...
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 2 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Jislane35, Jomi25
This was potentially a really great episode until they started all the Amy pushing. It felt like old times and it reminded me how well Leonard, Sheldon and Penny work together. It's so natural with them and effortless. Then in comes Amy and it's like the florescent lighting had been accidentally flicked on. I dislike the way they always force this character on the viewer. This has been their approach ever since they paired Sheldon and Amy off and it's such an insult to the viewers intelligence.

Did anyone else notice Sheldon's line... "that's how anything can happen Thursday, turns into it won't stop coming out Friday" it sounded very similar to Space's idea... "what the fuck happened Friday" for our "anything can happen Thursday" drinking game?

[Image: tumblr_n4fz6p8OoD1twvxkho1_500.gif]

And I approve of Gripe's promotion to Colonel. Big Grin
The following 6 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jislane35, Jomi25, queenoftheDales, CassandraElise, Idle Miscreant, Will_I_BGraded_OnThis
My reaction to this episode is along the lines of everyone else's. This was a good episode aside of the Shamy pushing.

I liked the S/L/P interactions. Their banter seemed natural and not over the top. No ship pushing on the Lenny front and no whining from Leonard. Sheldon even mentioned LARPing as possible fun activity complete with a wizard hat. [Shout out to SpaceAnJL who had them LARPing since '09, Cool Go read The Paladin Protocol... and then read it again.] The Shenny dinner was funny and JP's delivery of Sheldon's lines were on point. Big Grin

Has it been a while since Raj and Howard hung out together alone? I laughed at the jumping on Raj's part during the movie and I agree with Major Gripe that tptb are cheapening the Emily character (already Dodgy ) by making her extra....kinky... right out the bat.

Ok so down to the nitty gritty,

The scene with Lamy. I'm glad it was written in that AFF is threatened by Shenny, if anything, that is the most believable thing about the character so far. (FYI: as far as I know, her mentioning "not romantically, of course" is lady speak for "yeah, romantically too.") While neither are a character I enjoy, I though it was kind of messed up of AFF to be a bitch to Leonard. He was trying to be nice to her and she scoffs and calls them hanging out "weird." Now, my memory isn't what it used to be, but I do recall Lamy going to a wedding together and having fun. Was it weird then? (again with the continuity )

This episode had Howard and Raj talking about masking pills with cheese or whatever to feed to his dog and/or Howard's mom. This analogy is perfect for what the psychic scene was for me. Shamy is a big ol' bitter pill that is hard to swallow. So, the writers dress it up as a Shenny moment and we are temporarily distracted enough that they still manage to force Shamy down our throats. Of course the moment is being blown out of context by some squealing irrational fangirls. At this rate, Sheldon blinking will soon be a sign of his devoted love for Amy. Dodgy And fitting that he ran out like that after the psychic told him that if he can't be/do anything until he gives his soul to AFF. To echo the sentiment around these parts: Run fast and run far.
The following 7 users Like queenoftheDales's post:
  • CassandraElise, Idle Miscreant, taffinabean, Toad, SpaceAnJL, Will_I_BGraded_OnThis, Jislane35
(04-26-2014, 05:36 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote: My reaction to this episode is along the lines of everyone else's. This was a good episode aside of the Shamy pushing.

I liked the S/L/P interactions. Their banter seemed natural and not over the top. No ship pushing on the Lenny front and no whining from Leonard. Sheldon even mentioned LARPing as possible fun activity complete with a wizard hat. [Shout out to SpaceAnJL who had them LARPing since '09, Cool Go read The Paladin Protocol... and then read it again.] The Shenny dinner was funny and JP's delivery of Sheldon's lines were on point. Big Grin

Has it been a while since Raj and Howard hung out together alone? I laughed at the jumping on Raj's part during the movie and I agree with Major Gripe that tptb are cheapening the Emily character (already Dodgy ) by making her extra....kinky... right out the bat.

Ok so down to the nitty gritty,

The scene with Lamy. I'm glad it was written in that AFF is threatened by Shenny, if anything, that is the most believable thing about the character so far. (FYI: as far as I know, her mentioning "not romantically, of course" is lady speak for "yeah, romantically too.") While neither are a character I enjoy, I though it was kind of messed up of AFF to be a bitch to Leonard. He was trying to be nice to her and she scoffs and calls them hanging out "weird." Now, my memory isn't what it used to be, but I do recall Lamy going to a wedding together and having fun. Was it weird then? (again with the continuity )

This episode had Howard and Raj talking about masking pills with cheese or whatever to feed to his dog and/or Howard's mom. This analogy is perfect for what the psychic scene was for me. Shamy is a big ol' bitter pill that is hard to swallow. So, the writers dress it up as a Shenny moment and we are temporarily distracted enough that they still manage to force Shamy down our throats. Of course the moment is being blown out of context by some squealing irrational fangirls. At this rate, Sheldon blinking will soon be a sign of his devoted love for Amy. Dodgy And fitting that he ran out that after the psychic told him that if he can't be/do anything until he gives his soul to AFF. To echo the sentiment around these parts: Run fast and run far.

If Sheldon has to give her his soul, doesn't that make Amy the Devil? (just protecting my trademark)
The following 2 users Like devilbk's post:
  • Will_I_BGraded_OnThis, Jislane35
(04-26-2014, 07:17 AM)devilbk Wrote: If Sheldon has to give her his soul, doesn't that make Amy the Devil? (just protecting my trademark)

LOL Shit, you're right Blush sorry 'bout that. How's this?:

Before:
And fitting that he ran out like that after the psychic told him that if he can't be/do anything until he gives his soul to AFF.

After:
And fitting that he ran out like that after the psychic told him he must surrender his body, mind, and life force to the parasite that is AFF. Doomed for all of Big Bang Universe eternity to a life of subservient relationship hell.

(whew! That was a close one, Dev. I'll be more cognizant next time. Big Grin )
The following 1 user Likes queenoftheDales's post:
  • Jislane35
Ugh. I'm having some sort of episode reflux, not from the questionable culinary hodgepodge known as fusion, but from the indigestible cheesiness of storefront mysticism. Really? Has it come to this? I'm fervently hoping that Madame Charlatan is shoved into the storehouse of one-time-use plot devices, because, swear to my spirit guides, if Sheldon gets a huge grant or has a major breakthrough at work AFTER committing to that dark haired harpy I'm going to be beyond pissed. Angry

Seriously though, much as I hate the Shamyhammer being so clumsily wielded, I think it's a master stroke of sorts by the writers. They can push Sheldon into the smothering embrace of character growth, and the best part is, doing it this way means Amy's hands won't get dirty. She's not the one pressuring Sheldon to change. It's the universe, you see. She's completely innocent in all this, she even has an alibi. While the universe is busy pummeling Sheldon with incense and New Age malarky, Amy's sitting beside Leonard, playing the part of soft spoken virtue and patience. Watch her though. Wistfully wishing for the same closeness Sheldon and Penny share, she sweetly jabs a knife in the notion that there could be anything "romantic" between them. Ouch!

It's an almost perfect way of rehabbing La Fowler yet again. By outsourcing the message ("Love me, love me, LOVE ME!!!"), Amy won't have to work so hard at being the clingy, annoying shrew and she'll have time on her hands to go shopping for circa 1964, nun-approved Catholic schoolgirl uniforms.
OH PLEASE...
The following 10 users Like Toad's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, Gamma, taffinabean, devilbk, Nutz, SpaceAnJL, Idle Miscreant, Berliner, Will_I_BGraded_OnThis, Jislane35
(04-26-2014, 09:18 AM)thetoadoftruth Wrote: Ugh. I'm having some sort of episode reflux, not from the questionable culinary hodgepodge known as fusion, but from the indigestible cheesiness of storefront mysticism. Really? Has it come to this? I'm fervently hoping that Madame Charlatan is shoved into the storehouse of one-time-use plot devices, because, swear to my spirit guides, if Sheldon gets a huge grant or has a major breakthrough at work AFTER committing to that dark haired harpy I'm going to be beyond pissed. Angry

Seriously though, much as I hate the Shamyhammer being so clumsily wielded, I think it's a master stroke of sorts by the writers. They can push Sheldon into the smothering embrace of character growth, and the best part is, doing it this way means Amy's hands won't get dirty. She's not the one pressuring Sheldon to change. It's the universe, you see. She's completely innocent in all this, she even has an alibi. While the universe is busy pummeling Sheldon with incense and New Age malarky, Amy's sitting beside Leonard, playing the part of soft spoken virtue and patience. Watch her though. Wistfully wishing for the same closeness Sheldon and Penny share, she sweetly jabs a knife in the notion that there could be anything "romantic" between them. Ouch!

It's an almost perfect way of rehabbing La Fowler yet again. By outsourcing the message ("Love me, love me, LOVE ME!!!"), Amy won't have to work so hard at being the clingy, annoying shrew and she'll have time on her hands to go shopping for circa 1964, nun-approved Catholic schoolgirl uniforms.

Exactly, although I'm more inclined to use the word sickening rather than genius. They use a Shenny scene to kick a creative tantrum:

"NOOOOO, IT'S AMY THAT SHELDON MUST LOVE! AMY! NOT PENNY! DAMN YOU!"

It's pathetic.
The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jislane35
(04-26-2014, 08:07 AM)queenoftheDales Wrote: LOL Shit, you're right Blush sorry 'bout that. How's this?:

Before:
And fitting that he ran out like that after the psychic told him that if he can't be/do anything until he gives his soul to AFF.

After:
And fitting that he ran out like that after the psychic told him he must surrender his body, mind, and life force to the parasite that is AFF. Doomed for all of Big Bang Universe eternity to a life of subservient relationship hell.

(whew! That was a close one, Dev. I'll be more cognizant next time. Big Grin )

Much better. I'll call off my solicitors.
The following 2 users Like devilbk's post:
  • queenoftheDales, Jislane35