Inside the Actors Studio
So last night I was watching Inside the Actors Studio and they had the cast of How I Met Your Mother on. It was both funny and sad as the cast talked about their favorite moments during the series and then answered questions in character. But what really struck me is this was a cast of five people and it NEVER changed. Yes, the story was narrated by the lead character who was telling the story of how he met their mother (longest story EVER BTW) and they might have people come in for a few episodes, but it remained really about the five friends. (It would have gotten to crowded adding more)

Anyway, the main thread that ran throughout the show was the actors talking about how incredible the writers were, that they allowed them to feel safe to go into sometimes really emotion stuff in a comedy. But I think these two quotes really stood out from the rest since they dealt with the one steady relationship the show had between married couple Lily and Marshall. (And IMO highlight everything that the writers are getting wrong in BBT)

"The comedy scenes are great, but when we had to dig into the relationship stuff, which has been a great gift the writers have given us over nine years, I couldn't imagine a better acting partner for all of that." - Jason Segel, talking about the actress (Alyson Hannigan) playing his wife

"The thing that I have always loved about Marshall and Lily is they (the writers) were brave enough just to have them have the hots for each other, and really LIKE each other. They were best friends." -Jason Segel

It kind of makes me sad, can anyone picture ANY of the BBT cast members going on about how safe the writers made them feel, or praising them for making the "brave" writing choice? Oh I know that they spout crap about how great Lenny and Shamy are, but can you really see them thanking the writers over and over again about the material they were given?
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Wisp
HIMYM was a decent sitcom. Yeah the mom plot line was dragged out, but the show was consistent during the whole series even with all the relationship subplots and was always funny. It did lose steam a few seasons ago.

I don't know what could have happened behind the curtains on Big Bang to influence such a dramatic change in the characters.

Sure, in the beginning I could see the cast (the original 5) making similar statements. It was obvious back then that they enjoyed working with each other. The subtle smiles, especially from Kaley, during the scenes that were poorly concealed. It just seemed like they were having fun with each other. The writing had the cast interacting with each other and the writing seemed fun. Now it's like a bunch of individuals that happen to be in the same scene. Confused actors just going through the motions of taping (I may have said this before, it applies here too)
The following 5 users Like queenoftheDales's post:
  • Nutz, Gamma, Wisp, FranEssi, Jomi25
I think it is in part the dreadful business of forcing anything on past the natural span. A coherent narrative seems to be incompatible with most multi-season shows. It is all about longevity rather than the story, so plot elements get padded out, stretched thin, or outright derailed. If you have relationships involved, it seems to get even worse. And generally, an audience only has a finite amount of patience for being buggered about.
The following 4 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Nutz, FranEssi, Louise, Jomi25
I think TBBT is just one of those unfortunate shows that has suffered a popularity distortion. It got bloated over time (like Space said) and forgot what it was, and the romantic pairings they slotted in, presumably due to concern that the show would stagnate (The only time I smelled series gangrene was when these relationships were introduced to be honest, dicks) were poorly judged, yet inexplicably popular. I'd say the massive success went to the writers' heads and made them far too relaxed about the show. They don't have to impress anyone, because they're still hiding under the moniker of "smartest show on TV", which was only vaguely deserved in the early seasons, and a lot of people are just watching out of habit.

TBBT doesn't ever have to worry about being cancelled or getting bad reviews, because it's got so much frigging merchandise and the vast majority of critics and casual watchers still think the sun shines out of the show's arse. All the truly brilliant shows I can think of are the ones that divide audiences/critics and maintain a sense of risk that the show will be cut short by their channel/network. The actors, particularly Parsons, don't seem to be motivated at all anymore. The writing is depressingly inferior to their potential comedic talents (We've seen what you're all capable of!), so they're just gurning and reciting their lines without particularly giving a shit whether or not their character would actually SAY whatever they're saying, because they know the writers and the greasy-fingered casual watchers are not bothered either. Either that, or TPTB and the actors are completely oblivious to the decline and still think they are "liberating" the underdog with their lovely, quirky, geek-loving comedyyyy!!!!

I just want it to stop. I want them to do other shows with shrewd, caring writing. I want to be mesmerised by Jim Parsons again.
HARRISON FORD IS IRRADIATING OUR TESTICLES WITH MICROWAVE SATELLITE TRANSMISSIONS

AND WHO THE FUCK STOLE MY BOILED EGGS?
The following 9 users Like Wisp's post:
  • devilbk, Idle Miscreant, Gamma, FranEssi, Nutz, Toad, Tuesday Pajamas, justaphraseimgoingthrough, Jomi25
I think one of the reasons HIMYM is more complex and better written is that most of the characters are based on real people. A grounding in reality fleshed out by talented artists. While TBBT's characters are a cobbled together bundle of tropes made entertaining and endearing by good actors with the blanks filled in by an imaginative audience.
The following 1 user Likes lewstonewar's post:
  • Wisp
Yeah, and now the decent actors have been undermined by shoddy material and have started phoning it in, the blanks are too big for even the most ardent fantasist to bridge. There's nothing remotely endearing about any of the present characterisation.
The following 3 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • lewstonewar, Wisp, Jomi25
(03-30-2014, 05:39 AM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: Yeah, and now the decent actors have been undermined by shoddy material and have started phoning it in, the blanks are too big for even the most ardent fantasist to bridge. There's nothing remotely endearing about any of the present characterisation.

yup yup yup

There is such a sense of fatalism around here. It's so depressing.
(03-31-2014, 12:57 AM)LewStonewar Wrote: yup yup yup

There is such a sense of fatalism around here. It's so depressing.

There is but I think it'll clear out once the show hit the hiatus.

For me, the changes to the show were a lot more dramatic this season and yet there is still more episodes left to go. I hope having the summer off will help get this sour taste out my mouth from this show, that way when the new season rolls around I won't be so shocked and can laugh at how ridiculous it is.

I was hoping the show would have ended with some-any-dignity like HIMYM, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

EDIT: Holy S**T, what an ending. thats all I have to say about that.
Well played HIMYM! You did something most comedy's can't do anymore, you surprised me. I never suspected end game was Ted and Robin. I know the last the scene with the kids was filmed over 5 years ago, that you kept this a secret for that long is nothing short of amazing.
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
(04-01-2014, 01:18 PM)Dsnynutz Wrote: Well played HIMYM! You did something most comedy's can't do anymore, you surprised me. I never suspected end game was Ted and Robin. I know the last the scene with the kids was filmed over 5 years ago, that you kept this a secret for that long is nothing short of amazing.

Gosh I wish tbbt would take a leaf of their book - give us a shocking ending