It's official - 3 more seasons
(03-14-2014, 04:18 AM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: It used to be that the scripts were written to fit the characters. Now the characters are changed to fit the scripts. It's just a cookie-cutter romcom now. What happened to the four brilliant scientists who were socially inept? Now they're just four buffoons with relationship problems. They could just as well be stockboys at Walmart. Science is rarely mentioned anymore. Where did the intelligent, clever, witty dialogue go? How long before Cousin Oliver shows up? The show is just shell of its former self. Except of course to the giddy fangirls who it caters to now.

AFF is Cousin Oliver.
The following 2 users Like devilbk's post:
  • lewstonewar, Jislane35
It's got to the point where it's almost embarrassing to admit to ever having watched and liked it, because of present association, frankly.

I'm not sure why they were ever made scientists in the first place - they could have been students just as easily, or as you say, stockboys. I suppose the 'humour' lies in having ostensibly intelligent adults behaving like small and frankly dim children.
The following 4 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35, FranEssi, Wisp, Nutz
(03-14-2014, 04:27 AM)devilbk Wrote: AFF is Cousin Oliver.

Good point. But at least CO was cute.

Just found this. Doesn't fit every show but it perfectly fits TBBT except I would argue that the crackup began in season 5, mainly because of AFF's influence: Lifespan of every TV show ever
The following 5 users Like FlyingMonkey's post:
  • devilbk, queenoftheDales, Jislane35, Berliner, Nutz
(03-14-2014, 04:35 AM)FlyingMonkey Wrote: Good point. But at least CO was cute.

Just found this. Doesn't fit every show but it perfectly fits TBBT except I would argue that the crackup began in season 5, mainly because of AFF's influence: Lifespan of every TV show ever

Brilliant. And quite apropos.
The following 1 user Likes devilbk's post:
  • Jislane35

Holy Crap. Yes. Though BBT condensed the plateau period into S3, and went straight to the S6 Cracks'n'Crash. I say that the moment her glum little face mooned onto the screen, you could hear the death-knell.
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35

Most brilliant and accurate article ever and a few people in the comments section actually mentioned TBBT being one of those sitcoms and the show is obviously in 'The Zombie Years' once season 5 started. I loved these quotes:

"Big Bang Theory had gone through all of these stages by Season 4. They should rename it the 'See Sheldon Behave In Increasingly Exaggerated And Unrealistic Ways' Show. Yeah, I know we still have to sit through the inevitable Leonard and Penny Finally Get Married arc before they will cancel this turd, but the joy was gone a long time ago."

"Someone correct me if I'm wrong but my problem with the Big Bang Theory is that it's stupid humor (hear me out). It's like a mad lib for sex jokes and old vaudeville-esque gags and is just filled in with higher intelligence buzzwords. The writing and the show itself has 0 substance."

"It used to play off of the "smart guy" stereotype, using humor that stereotypical "nerds" would find funny where "average" people wouldn't quite understand all of it to appreciate the joke. Right around the 3rd season, the writers cashed in all of the smart jokes to go full on into relationship humor, or "What every other TV sitcom does EVER". That's why it's horrible."

"I agree 3rd season it went extremely downhill. Instead of continuing with jokes that reference other sci-fi shows or even Smart humor, they toned down those references so they could appeal to a larger audience. Everyone on the show now has a girlfriend which was funny at first but now it isn't, even Sheldon has a girlfriend now."

"it's the sort of show a stupid person might watch to consider themselves smart."

"3 words: Big Bang Theory."

"This applies perfectly to The Big Bang Theory. And they just renewed for seasons 8-10. Goodbye legacy."

"I'd agree, though I think it progressed at a faster pace. BBT started strong, and the first two seasons had lots of great moments. Season 3 was still good, though the team's behavior during the monopole experiment pissed off a lot of science fans, and the Flanderization really started setting in. Season 5 was exactly what the haters claim the show to be, "stupid jokes about smart people."

"Big Bang Theory, anyone?"
The following 2 users Like Jislane35's post:
  • Wisp, queenoftheDales
(03-14-2014, 05:34 AM)Jislane35 Wrote: Most brilliant and accurate article ever and a few people in the comments section actually mentioned TBBT being one of those sitcoms. I loved these quotes:

"Big Bang Theory had gone through all of these stages by Season 4. They should rename it the 'See Sheldon Behave In Increasingly Exaggerated And Unrealistic Ways' Show. Yeah, I know we still have to sit through the inevitable Leonard and Penny Finally Get Married arc before they will cancel this turd, but the joy was gone a long time ago."

"Someone correct me if I'm wrong but my problem with the Big Bang Theory is that it's stupid humor (hear me out). It's like a mad lib for sex jokes and old vaudeville-esque gags and is just filled in with higher intelligence buzzwords. The writing and the show itself has 0 substance."

"It used to play off of the "smart guy" stereotype, using humor that stereotypical "nerds" would find funny where "average" people wouldn't quite understand all of it to appreciate the joke. Right around the 3rd season, the writers cashed in all of the smart jokes to go full on into relationship humor, or "What every other TV sitcom does EVER". That's why it's horrible."

"I agree 3rd season it went extremely downhill. Instead of continuing with jokes that reference other sci-fi shows or even Smart humor, they toned down those references so they could appeal to a larger audience. Everyone on the show now has a girlfriend which was funny at first but now it isn't, even Sheldon has a girlfriend now."

"it's the sort of show a stupid person might watch to consider themselves smart."

"3 words: Big Bang Theory."

"This applies perfectly to The Big Bang Theory. And they just renewed for seasons 8-10. Goodbye legacy."

The "Goodbye legacy" from AmyFarrahFowler comment was me.Big Grin

I liked the "Each season beyond the 7th cancels out one of the earlier good seasons in terms of the show's overall legacy". How true.
The following 2 users Like FlyingMonkey's post:
  • Jislane35, Wisp
(03-14-2014, 02:06 AM)Tuesday Pajamas Wrote: I'm pretty sure a Howardette spin off would bomb in the first week. Few people would be interested but if they had the courage to put Howard and Raj together. This might have been a possible spin off idea. The first ever gay couple sitcom? If done well it could work. It's a shame this show thinks inside a ever decreasing box.

They wont do that, first because Howard and Bernie "love" each other, and second, these writers don't believe in these characters as it is forget having the talent to write a comedy around two men who are geeks with no social skills and love each other. It wouldn't make it past the pilot.

Now, Sheldon & Penny running away together..... Nope they would screw that up too.

(03-14-2014, 03:54 AM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: Eh. *shrugs* We could set up a bet on which particular 'Friends' plot they aim to recycle next. And after that, 'The Honeymooners' and 'I Love Lucy'. I think the scripts are already assembled by some kind of sitcom cliche randomiser. Or possibly a bunch of monkeys with typewriters. Eventually, you might get Shakespeare, but until then... keep flinging the poop, guys.

Actually, I think other than what couples belong together, Steve has proven he has no idea what's coming next. (Considering continuity is so bad from show to show) personally I think they have a hat of "story ideas" from other shows they just pick from when needed.

Besides we know exactly what TPTB wants as a spinoff.
You watched them fall in love (cue montage)
You wept when they got married (cue wedding scene)
Now, join them in the next BIG adventure.
Join Penny & Leonard this fall and fall in love all over again.

In other words, watch Penny become a drunken alcoholic Stepford wife after Leonard drags her off to Boston (yea! Leonard mommy issues)
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Jislane35
(03-15-2014, 12:46 PM)Dsnynutz Wrote: They wont do that, first because Howard and Bernie "love" each other, and second, these writers don't believe in these characters as it is forget having the talent to write a comedy around two men who are geeks with no social skills and love each other. It wouldn't make it past the pilot.

Now, Sheldon & Penny running away together..... Nope they would screw that up too.

Actually, I think other than what couples belong together, Steve has proven he has no idea what's coming next. (Considering continuity is so bad from show to show) personally I think they have a hat of "story ideas" from other shows they just pick from when needed.

Besides we know exactly what TPTB wants as a spinoff.

You watched them fall in love (cue montage)
You wept when they got married (cue wedding scene)
Now, join them in the next BIG adventure.
Join Penny & Leonard this fall and fall in love all over again.

In other words, watch Penny become a drunken alcoholic Stepford wife after Leonard drags her off to Boston (yea! Leonard mommy issues)

I heard that in Movie Guy's voice Tongue

That would be one of the most boring spinoffs second to the howardette suggestion. Most people are tired of Lenny, like 4 seasons ago
The following 1 user Likes queenoftheDales's post:
  • Jislane35
Interview with Molaro....

Hhhm.

http://www.today.com/entertainment/big-b...1D79574051

"Did the fact that many of the core cast don't have new contracts factor into the decision to end the season on a cliffhanger?

Not at all. We're making the best episodes that we can come up with. I have to move forward assuming everyone is going to be there. I have no reason to think they won't be. That wasn't a factor."

RUN AWAY PARSONS!

"Do you have an idea for how the show ends in mind?

There's no official ending. We all have thoughts and talk about little things here and there but we can't even think four episodes ahead on this show, so to think 72 ahead is kind of crazy (laughs)."

Or four episodes behind either. HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA (laughs)
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 1 user Likes Idle Miscreant's post:
  • devilbk