Teaser Trailer Prologue Thingie
So, the folks responsible for provoking this, you know who you are...

Trap For A Solitary Man

Sheldon Cooper liked routine, and order. A dead body in his office was not in the schedule. He'd remember that sort of thing, he was sure of it.

He couldn't recall her name, but the face was familiar. Under the swelling and the marks of asphyxia, anyway. She was one of his graduate students. Always flitting around with casseroles and cupcakes. There was what looked to have been a rather tasty chocolate cake spread over his floor and desk right now. A dark smear of frosting disfigured a whiteboard, and distant part of his mind wondered how he would rescue the equation beneath.

Dimly, he was aware of the gasps and screams behind him, the running feet, the gabble of voices.

The last thought through his mind before it all went black was “Not another one...”

The senior detective was a big black man, with the grim demeanour of a cop who'd seen the worst the job had to offer. His name was Turner. His partner was thus known to most of the precinct as 'Hooch', but his real name was Landry. Spiky brown hair and blue eyes, he was looking into the distance with an intense stare and a grim set to his jaw. Turner eyed him sideways.

“What you thinking about?”

“Pizza.” Landry said, promptly. “Unless you want to stop at the drive-by. Hey, you know what they call a quarter-pounder with cheese in Paris?”

Turner glared at him.

“If you start that shit up with me again, I'm gonna shoot you in the ass.”

Landry grinned, unintimidated, then sobered.

“So, this makes a third.” He leafed through the file in his hands. “Same M.O. as before. Ligature strangulation, thin cable, a generic brand, no other signs of assault.”

Headshots of three young woman. Gretchen Peters. Bethany Wells. Ilsa Nyman. Gretchen had worn glasses, Bethany had had brown eyes, but they were all varying degrees of blonde, they were all students at Caltech, and they were all dead.

“Gretchen Peters was discovered by a couple of mothers with their kids by the edge of Grant Park. Bethany Wells was clear over the other side of the campus, in the parking lot by the gym. Ilsa Nyman... was found in some guy's office. A couple of cleaners found him standing over the body.”

“Do we like him for this?”

“I guess we talk to him, find out if there is any connection besides the workplace.”

Half an hour later, Landry walked out of the room and leant against the wall. Turner followed him, and the two men looked at each other.

“Wow.”

“Yeah.”

“I...just – wow. Is he real?”

“Shock makes some people a little...off.” Turner didn't sound entirely convinced.

“Last time someone presented me with JLA credentials, he was running round the Rosebowl in his underpants and a bedsheet, claiming to be Batman. He was five.”

“Okay, yeah. The literal card-carrying geek squad thing was whacked. But you picked up the important thing?”

“He knew the victim.”

“Hell, yes, he knew the victim. She'd been bringing him homebaked goods for a few weeks, and he didn't recall her name?” Consulted his notebook. “'I can't be expected to remember every labradoodle that follows me around.' I think we're gonna need to take a closer look at Dr Sheldon Lee Cooper.”

(TBC?...)
The following 5 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Toad, lewstonewar, queenoftheDales, Tuesday Pajamas, Jislane35
(03-11-2014, 12:06 AM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: So, the folks responsible for provoking this, you know who you are...

Trap For A Solitary Man

<snippage>

“Last time someone presented me with JLA credentials, he was running round the Rosebowl in his underpants and a bedsheet, claiming to be Batman. He was five.”

<more snippage>

(TBC?...)

Big Grin Um, yes please! This is excellent, Space! You have a great ear for dialog. I have lovingly bolded the line above because one hour later I'm still chuckling over it.
OH PLEASE...
The following 1 user Likes Toad's post:
  • Jislane35
(03-11-2014, 01:04 AM)thetoadoftruth Wrote: Big Grin Um, yes please! This is excellent, Space! You have a great ear for dialog. I have lovingly bolded the line above because one hour later I'm still chuckling over it.

My OCs do have an unfortunate tendency to muscle in and gab all over the place. The actors I can 'see' as these guys, well... neither of them do shy and retiring, generally speaking. Especially not the big, black, bald badass.
The following 2 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • devilbk, Jislane35
I feel so very guilty. I assume this will appear elsewhere also.
The following 1 user Likes devilbk's post:
  • Jislane35
(03-11-2014, 02:24 AM)devilbk Wrote: I feel so very guilty. I assume this will appear elsewhere also.

Yeah, once I beat the rest of the text into submission, it'll be on ffnet, at least.

And you should feel guilty. I was perfectly happy writing my locked room murder mystery with creepy black magic overtones, and now I'm writing something that increasingly resembles 'CSI:Twin Peaks'. Smile
The following 1 user Likes SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Jislane35
(03-11-2014, 02:31 AM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: Yeah, once I beat the rest of the text into submission, it'll be on ffnet, at least.

And you should feel guilty. I was perfectly happy writing my locked room murder mystery with creepy black magic overtones, and now I'm writing something that increasingly resembles 'CSI:Twin Peaks'. Smile

It's okay. I'm being punished with a massive case of writer's block and have three essays to write for a job application. Not to mention a fic that I can't get a major transitional chapter written for.
The following 1 user Likes devilbk's post:
  • Jislane35
I had writer's block for months, decided to play around with fanfic in an effort to shift it, one little ficlet wouldn't hurt - Seven months and 90+ thousand words later...

I'd just got back on the horse and started seriously overhauling the manuscript this time round when this feral plotbunny dropped out of the rafters of the mental attic.
The following 2 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • devilbk, Jislane35
Can't wait to read this!
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Jislane35
Oooo, when do we get the next bit? Tongue
The following 1 user Likes Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jislane35
This is going to be the next big hit since Paladin Protocol, coming soon to a fan-fiction site near you! Gosh I am so pumped up! I love your OC's already Space and reading vintage Sheldon again brings back so much comfort, excited to know where Penny is being brought into this. Heart All of the victims were blondes you say? Interesting....