The Sanctum of Burning Souls (Welcome mat)
(10-19-2015, 03:00 PM)A.D.A. Wrote: I'm A.D.A., from Germany, 24 years old, and I pinched parts of a Law & Order: SVU character to create my forum identity. Raúl Esparza is too good in the role, so I'm not even sorry.

Welcome A.D.A.! Certainly glad to have you amongst us, adding your voice to the chorus of nostalgia and dissent.  Tongue 

Here are a couple threads you may want to peruse at your leisure. The first is a link to the Shelnard fanfics compiled by the intrepid Nutz and the second is an assemblage of Sheldon/Leonard scenes/moments/etc. -

http://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/showthread.php?tid=384

http://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/showthread.php?tid=25

Enjoy!
OH PLEASE...
The following 3 users Like Toad's post:
  • Louise, Idle Miscreant, Kimk26
Quote:So that's where I am with the show at the moment. Hello all!

[Image: 2vw69hg.jpg]
The following 5 users Like Louise's post:
  • Toad, Idle Miscreant, Kimk26, wellplayedpenny, Jomi25
Thanks for the welcome! Big Grin

And for the links, I'll check these out!
The following 1 user Likes A.D.A.'s post:
  • Louise
Hello all! JELA here.

I’ve been lurking for a couple of weeks finally decided to jump in.

I started watching Big Bang Theory with the first show. More because the hubby wanted to watch, but I said ‘what the heck it’s got that guy from Roseanne’.
                While Johnny Galecki’s character seemed even more pathetic in this show than he did in Roseanne, I was drawn in by Sheldon.
                I’ve always been a fan of the insufferable genius, so Sheldon just added to the list of cynical characters with big egos that had the brilliance to back it up. (Holmes, House, Dr. Cox, Tony Stark, Loki) I imagine because I identify with them. Even as a child my mother told me I didn’t suffer fools (and I still don’t.)
                In the early seasons, I thought maybe tptb would soften Sheldon while sharpening Penny, with each other. While that did occur a bit, their writing forced a relationship that was not emerging from the natural character development. I assume tptb thought from the Shenny murmurings, that we wanted Sheldon to have a relationship, but he wasn’t allowed to have Penny, so we got AFF.
                At first, her shtick was amusing, but it quickly made me turn off my TV. 
                I became interested in the show again because of fanfiction. I stumbled upon a Shenny written by a Harry Potter author a year and a half ago. I hate to admit I don’t remember the author, but I remember it had Penny going to the Arctic with Sheldon. I searched for more and came across Paladin Protocol by SpanceAnJL and remembered why I loved the show. 
                I’ve tuned in sporadically since then. I was hoping after Sheldon’s train ride, he would have an epiphany and we’d get a better show, but instead it got progressively worse. I haven’t watched a complete season since 5 and haven’t not watched any of season 9. It sickens me to even read taping reports and reviews.
                While at this point Sheldon and Penny don’t seem compatible (hell, they are such a mess they couldn’t be compatible with anyone) I can’t help but feel ‘Anyone but Them!!’ about their current matches.
                I believe, I hang on simply to finish a fanfiction I started in Oct. 2014. Though it has an older setting, it became hard to write because of the current climate. Maybe when I’m done with it, I will have a funeral for them all and completely divorce myself from the show. Probably not, those plot bunnies are quite fruitful and persistent, even if they never see the light of day.
                So that’s me and how I got here. Sorry for the length-this is short…for me.
Jela out…
The following 5 users Like Jela's post:
  • Toad, Tuesday Pajamas, Gamma, Idle Miscreant, Kimk26
Well, welcome to the mad house Jelajo. You will fit right in. Everything you have wriiten strikes a chord with me. This is the place for those who feel the show did a major bait and switch, for mainstream financial gain. Sheldon, the self-contained outsider seduced me with his blantant disregard of the norm. I felt he was a kindred spirit and I laughed along with all his innocent yet accurate remarks. Five years on, he's an annoying brat who I want to slap (but thats another story) we can still retain and remember how it all begun. You will be happy to know that SpaceAnJL is alive and well and lurking amongst our number. As are some other ff writers you may recognise the handles of.

Blossom
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jela, Kimk26
Welcome aboard, Jenela!
The following 2 users Like devilbk's post:
  • Jela, Kimk26
Welcome to the Dork Side, Jela!

I know exactly what you mean about the draw of the Smartest Asshole in the Room, your list looks a lot like mine. (Never really a Scrubs viewer, so I'd put Sanctuary's Tesla instead). I only kept watching S3 because I was writing a fic, but it is terribly hard to quit the potential of the characters, even if you turn away from the twisted, flaming (and still somehow dull) shitshow they've become.

(Also, I'm both glad and sorry 'Paladin' sucked you into this madness. It was basically me shouting "No! You are doing it wrong!" In text format. And at great length.)
The following 3 users Like SpaceAnJL's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, Jela, Kimk26
BTW I'd like to frame this part of your post:

"In the early seasons, I thought maybe tptb would soften Sheldon while sharpening Penny, with each other. While that did occur a bit, their writing forced a relationship that was not emerging from the natural character development. I assume tptb thought from the Shenny murmurings, that we wanted Sheldon to have a relationship, but he wasn’t allowed to have Penny, so we got AFF."
The following 2 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Jela, Kimk26
Thanks for the welcome all. I do recognize a lot of you from your fics.
The smartest Asshole in the room is always fun as long as he doesn't turn it on you. Seems I surround myself with them in real life and occasionally am one, too.

I spent too many season hoping they were going rectify the mess that was the Arctic.
No apology necessary SpanceAnJL, for dragging me back, it was my pleasure. (I actually liked how you fixed the Arctic, even if you had Leonard acting more nobly, then they would ever dare write him-That would be acknowledging their 'hero' was wrong.)

I still occasionally re-read all of these fanfics, to overcome the cowplop they're currently crapping out. (I need inspiration to keep my own fic going.) I do watch the more 'authentic' shows, but occasionally I find them dispiriting. (Oh, Shelly, Where did you go?)
The following 1 user Likes Jela's post:
  • Kimk26
Hi Everyone,
I introduced myself in the other thread, but I wanted to do it here, as well.

My name in Jen, I'm from Chicagoland,and I joined these forums so much later because I only really got into the fandom in the last year when I was finally able to watch the show in order (I really like watching shows in order for some reason). Even though I thought Lenard was always a little creepy, I knew that he was going to get the girl, which sucks, but it's become the pattern in comedies.

Anyway, as I said in the other thread. I had rewatch the show after I got to the end of season 10 because something seemed wrong, and when I did I noticed how awful his friends are to Sheldon, and how everyone treats Penny terribly. Especially Amy, who I remember saying something about a five year plan, and noted that she succeeded and found that disturbing. And during the rewatch, I noticed many more disturbing things. So, I looked for reviews and stuff and discovered that people apparently think Sheldon should have given into her even when they were just friends! Disturbing.

Also, everyone apparently thinks poorly of Penny, and think Lenard is just the best despite his horrible behavior, so I came to find this forum, and I love it.

One final thing, I really hope that they were given two more seasons, that they pull a How I Met Your Mother, and Shenny does get together because prior to him getting with Amy sexually, I thought he was asexual, but if he's not asexual, then I do want Shenny together. And the other two end up jumping off a cliff.

So, Hi, Everyone!
The following 2 users Like Jenger's post:
  • Toad, Jela