It's officially a bromance
(04-06-2015, 03:59 PM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: 'Raj' is total Secret Agent, there. it's apparent how much work wardrobe has to do to make these guys conventionally unappealing.

I entirely agree with you about characters being rendered bit parts in their own lives. Penny is much the same. Sheldon is even worse. There's very much a sense of Protagonist Privilege for a chosen few, and those few are deeply unpleasant people, frankly. They aren't possessed of any characteristics that make them remotely likeable, and I don't understand anyone wanting to emulate or empathise with them. Raj and Howard should have been left as a Buddy Duo, because that was where their strengths lay, KN's straight man to SH's perfect delivery and comic timing. We've been left with the most boring and sickening aspects of the show instead. I'd rather watch Goth!owitcz and his oddly innocent sleaziness, than the disturbing emotional manipulation and destruction of others. Howard coming on too strong in a club is a tolerant roll of the eyes, because he's harmless. Watching an emotionally stunted adult being lured into sexual situations is not funny, it's disgusting.

I don't know why they're even bothering to give SH these major storylines. Seemingly they want to show that he can do drama in addition to comedy, but that's not what the casual viewer wants from him and that's not what a sitcom is about. If he wants to do drama, he should leave BBT and pursue other projects.
I can't imagine that all this dreary and unpleasant stuff about Mrs.W's death and conflicts with Stuart (!) is interesting to the young demographic which is supposedly so crucial to a show's financial success. Who is tuning in to watch funerals and mother-in-law jokes? How is this the subject-matter of the nation's #1 show? It sure doesn't sound splashy or exciting.

Even putting aside my personal preferences and feelings, I don't know why they're still bothering with SH and KN at all, if they're no longer a duo and all their original jokes/situations/characteristics have been dropped, which they have. They no longer serve any function in the story, unless the purpose of H/B is to make Lenny and Shamy look better by comparison. "Lenny are a couple and they have a bunch of generic friends." That is officially the show's premise now, as shown by the TV Guide summaries which someone (was it Nutz?) posted for us. It's no longer a case of the original 5 playing off each other and each having their own distinctive niche and purpose within the group's dynamic.

IMO the pathos on this show came from reading between the lines, not from overt displays of emotion. Howard was always a multi-faceted character, the idea that the original Howard was just a stereotype and that post-Bernadette Howard is more human and fleshed-out, is such a lie. People are too literal-minded to understand that the whole point of Howard was the discrepancy between his boastful confidence and his actual self. They're irony-impaired.

Surely I can't be the only person who feels this way. Once again, I think the confusion lies in the difference between Nostalgic expectations and New Viewer expectations. Canons are not watching this show *for the comedy* or thinking of it *as a comedy.* They don't *want* comedy, they want relationship drama because they want the show to provide them with emotional gratification. I do not look to a sitcom for some type of intense emotional climax like that person who taped herself shaking and crying while watching the ILY.

If I love the Howard character and SH's portrayal so much, but I'm unwilling to watch these new episodes, what does that say? I can't be the only person who feels this way. Yes, it's nice that SH has range as an actor and I'm not totally opposed to seeing him do some scenes/moments that are more on the dramatic side, but what the fuck are they thinking, not letting a funny guy be funny? Leaving aside my personal feelings, how is that a good business decision? "We're going to take the outrageously funny actor and make him our go-to guy for weeping and sighing and gazing wistfully into the camera?" What the hell is that? Why have they hidden a firecracker inside a deadening and stifling ball of cotton candy?

Maybe I'm asking the wrong questions. It appears that TPTB would rather have a ragingly successful melodrama than a moderately successful comedy. From a strictly business standpoint, this decision appears to have worked. But now the ratings are falling.

Meanwhile, KN is the most conventionally good-looking guy there, but for a long time they chose to portray his character as the least desirable, most dysfunctional, and most pathetic. And now his character's central gimmick is gone, so what now? He's charming and witty and there's wasted potential there, just as with the others.

They really seem to have a pattern of stubbornly denying the natural strengths of the actors and the characters. They want Sheldon to be the wacky sidekick, not the charismatic genius or the attractive leading-man. It's almost like they're frustrated and annoyed that these actors, and characters, aren't fitting so easily into their pre-determined molds. I, personally, do not feel the spell of JP/Sheldon, but I know it must be real because so many intelligent people have said so.

Anywaaaayyyy, I'm rambling, but I think SH and KN should've walked. What is the point, if the show isn't going to use their strengths? Again, I'm not saying that I never want to see Howard have a more serious or emotional moment. But these oddly dull and downbeat storylines sound neither appealing nor commercially wise. If I find SH and his character so appealing and fascinating, yet I refuse to watch these new episodes, there must be other viewers who feel the same. Anyone can play Lazy Husband, and probably for far less money.

Is that young demographic going to watch a pregnancy-and-babies storyline with these characters? Nobody gives a shit about MR or about H/B as a couple. The ghost of Helberg's charisma and the memories of earlier seasons are the only reasons anyone's still interested in this character. I don't care if the dramatic/emotional scenes are technically well-acted, this is supposed to be primarily a comedy.

And unless I'm very much mistaken, the people who enjoy jokes about marriage and babies are not the people buying t-shirts with "Bazinga" on it.

Messages In This Thread
It's officially a bromance - by Toad - 02-13-2014, 03:20 AM
RE: It's officially a bromance - by Wisp - 02-13-2014, 05:02 PM
RE: It's officially a bromance - by SpaceAnJL - 02-13-2014, 05:28 PM
RE: It's officially a bromance - by Nutz - 05-06-2014, 11:05 AM
RE: It's officially a bromance - by Toad - 08-19-2014, 05:56 AM
RE: It's officially a bromance - by Louise - 10-08-2014, 04:18 PM
RE: It's officially a bromance - by Louise - 11-13-2014, 12:48 PM
RE: It's officially a bromance - by Louise - 12-04-2014, 12:33 PM
RE: It's officially a bromance - by Louise - 02-10-2015, 12:21 PM
RE: It's officially a bromance - by Louise - 02-16-2015, 10:31 AM
RE: It's officially a bromance - by Louise - 04-06-2015, 07:29 AM