The effect BB has on nerd culture
Most people I know are obsessed with something...vintage guitars, obscure philosophers, cabaret...godawful eighties sci-fi...So I don't get this "nerd" titling to begin with. I've never seen the BB lads as anything other than people with interesting passions and hobbies...which were gradually pressured out of them by bizarrely passionless and antagonistic spouses.
As Tuesday said above, unless you're self-hating about your passions, like Leonard is, generally people marry/hook up with folk who share those passions, and don't "grow out of it".

What I do find baffling is their lack of involvement with OTHERS in their chosen field. There's an absence of LARPing, or medieval faires (since the early years) or getting together to build a trebuchet (*cough* Space)...
Even a couple of my goddamn flimsy POET friends built a trebuchet and fired projectiles over the River Clyde. I suppose it's just that what the BB chaps get up to is not considered eccentric or unusual by our standards.

Also their interests are effectively mainstream nowadays anyroad. Sheldon dressing up as something from Harry fucking Potter? What happened to the Doppler effect?

(and let's not get into adults dressing up as children for a bloody bedroom-roleplay scenario...at least dress as Snape, please! Even Voldemort. Actually, that would have been excellent...)

And where the devil are Penny's acting friends? She's done theatre work for heaven's sake, she'd know loads of poncy actors...I mean, I know no-one is allowed to look better than Leonard on this show, but good grief...

Rant rant rant...
Big Grin
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 5 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • Jela, chaotic temptation, Melvin, Nutz, Gamma

Messages In This Thread
RE: The effect BB has on nerd culture - by Idle Miscreant - 05-21-2017, 07:19 AM