RIP Leonard Hofstadter
God knows why we call it that...we're all so goddamn CHEERY.
Surprisingly not sarcasm.

I always liked Leonard in his role of world-weary, long-suffering, tether of insanity. He seemed not only tolerant of Sheldon, but rather proud to be his friend.

But like many others, that all changed at the arctic. I cannot fucking countenance that monstrosity! Hideous betrayal and complete fecklessness over Sheldon's deepest passion. If I can forget that one episode, the rest of his (increasing in the latter seasons) little jibes at Sheldon don't bother me particularly.

I'd always hoped that as the series progressed, Leonard would begin to realise he didn't need external validation all the time, particularly from women. Because Leonard "on the make" is terrible. Not sure how that interesting, world-weary fellow aforementioned turns into this simpering, needy, smug, faintly creepy character around potential love interests, but it happens with bells on. And Leonard with Penny is not so much unbelievable (although it's that too) as depressing. How many comments has he made about her personality, talents or passions compared to how many comments about her appearance? I suspect it's about a 1 to 10 ratio.

Anyroad, Leonard as Sheldon's pal, or even as "cloud-cuckoolander's minder" was charming enough. It was just the overall sense of self-pity that got to me. My principle reason for disliking Amy, also. THE SUFFERING™. The constant reminders of what they deserve (er, Penny and Sheldon apparently) for having been unloved/unpopular. SUCK IT UP, DAGNABBIT! You're both white, well-educated, middle class, well-off, in jobs you enjoy, with friends, no philosophical sensibilities to cause you existential woes, and completely unrealistic romantic partners. Cease this perennial complaint!

Self pity is a terrible character trait. Not to start yet another Marvel conversation, but (I'm going to) the reason Bruce Banner (MCU) annoys me a tad is this vaguely moany "Really, you'd bring a MONSTER on board?" shtick that he does. He seems to mention it a lot.  

Loki's entire universe and identity is undermined? Does he let this knowledge fester? No, he attempts to destroy Jotunheim. This is healthy. It leads to the void and torture and mind-control, but hey, at least he's not being passive aggressive!

It's also just a preference for certain character types.
I like Loki, Thor and Iron Man in that order, and Sheldon, Penny and Howard in TBBT...They're essentially the same three characters...Well, before Sheldon became Sheldumb, obviously. And if Thor worked on his sarcasm and developed more of an interest in shoes. Wouldn't take much, I suspect...

[Image: E3Y3y.jpg]
"WHERE THE HELL'S MY PARACHUTE?"
The following 8 users Like Idle Miscreant's post:
  • SpaceAnJL, FlyingSolo, Toad, Gamma, Nutz, Tuesday Pajamas, wellplayedpenny, Kimk26

Messages In This Thread
RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Smo - 03-05-2016, 04:03 PM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Tuesday Pajamas - 03-05-2016, 05:02 PM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by SpaceAnJL - 03-05-2016, 05:12 PM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Tuesday Pajamas - 03-05-2016, 05:57 PM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Trust No One - 03-05-2016, 11:07 PM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by HomoNovus - 03-06-2016, 03:20 AM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Tuesday Pajamas - 03-06-2016, 03:26 AM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Idle Miscreant - 04-10-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by CTR69 - 02-10-2018, 01:58 AM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Jenger - 02-11-2018, 07:53 AM