RIP Leonard Hofstadter
See! Big Grin lots of degrees on 'Leonard loathing' here. Sometimes I think I just don't hate Leonard because he's not really impactful enough as a charcater to inspire real hate. I felt a bit sorry for him to be honest. He thought chasing some pretty lass would make up for the sense of emptiness he's been carrying around. I remember that episode when Leonard started to cry talking about how his mother treated him and it did choke me up.

I realised that Leonard didn't love Penny in any real sense in 2.19 The Dead Hooker Juxtaposition. She was obviously interested in him at that point and was threatened when Alicia, another actress, moved in upstairs. But Leonard went in pursuit of Alicia even though Penny was there, in his apartment with food, dressed in a tight blue dress. He just dumped her and ran upstairs. Now Alicia was fowl. She reminded me of Katie, the girl who Lorre wanted Penny to be from the unaired Pilot. Scrude and manipulative. One of the characters the network rejected. I just thought, if he has no standards and would screw a horrible woman like that, he doesn't love Penny at all. There's no way he would have walked out that door.

I still didn't hate Leonard, I just thought he was messed up. Chasing the wrong cause and I thought if he bagged Penny he would discover that he still felt empty and go off and get someone more suited. But no... Over the years, the horrible things have just piled up. There are too many to post. As one of our number (Wispy) once conned the magnificent catchphrase 'Botchelennism' to describe have much Leonard has botched up his role as the man of the hour. And how at every turn he just made Sheldon look good.

There is one exception though which I remember, in Golowitz Deviation when Sheldon is training Penny with chocolate, Leonard defended her. It's one of his rare moments of heroism. Still the funny interplay with Sheldon and Penny kind of overshadowed this a little. I have no doubt that Sheldon would have had her jumping through hoops but she would soon get her own back.
The following 3 users Like Tuesday Pajamas's post:
  • Kimk26, FlyingSolo, Nutz

Messages In This Thread
RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Smo - 03-05-2016, 04:03 PM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Tuesday Pajamas - 03-05-2016, 05:02 PM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by SpaceAnJL - 03-05-2016, 05:12 PM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Tuesday Pajamas - 03-05-2016, 05:57 PM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Trust No One - 03-05-2016, 11:07 PM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by HomoNovus - 03-06-2016, 03:20 AM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Tuesday Pajamas - 03-06-2016, 03:26 AM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by Idle Miscreant - 04-10-2016, 06:45 PM
RE: RIP Leonard Hofstadter - by CTR69 - 02-10-2018, 01:58 AM