A passionate and impulsive woman.
Out of all the characters we've seen, Leslie is the only one I find even somewhat convincing as a female scientist. She was just as into the Physics Bowl as the guys. I don't find B. convincing as a scientist, an intellectual, or someone with any great enthusiasm for academic subjects. I didn't find Dr. Stephanie to be a very convincing character, either, but I'd still prefer her over A and B, because I'd prefer *anyone* over A and B.

Yes, this show could do a better job of presenting the fact that women can be scientists, and women can be intellectuals, and women can be nerds/geeks. But TBH, that's a topic I can't muster much anger about, personally. I don't believe that a show needs an exactly equal number of male characters and female characters. I actively prefer shows/movies with a mostly male cast. I just do.

It would be nice if the female characters weren't so ridiculous and off-putting, but I can't summon up much outrage about the show's lack of feminism. I just want to hang out with the male characters and watch them do their thing...

You know, it occurred to me that Leslie is a very independent character. She's only interested in purely physical encounters, not emotional attachments. But we can't have THAT, can we? Sarcasm

No, all the characters have to be pathetically dependent on their S.O. for everything, and we can't have any lifestyle other than "desperately seeking a traditional LTR with the very first person who crosses your path."

Leslie is unpleasant in some ways, but at least she lives life on her own terms and makes her own rules. That doesn't mesh with the Lorre message of conformity.

If they *were* planning to place her in an Amy-like role and have her pursuing Sheldon in a creepy and pathetic way, then that's completely OOC, for her, since she's shown that she just wants casual sex and doesn't form attachments, and isn't really looking for anyone's attention or approval.

This shows how TPTB tries to force the characters into a pre-determined plot, instead of letting the plot flow naturally from the characters. If an idea doesn't work, they don't drop it, they just keep shopping it around. They're very stubborn.

Messages In This Thread
A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Wisp - 01-11-2014, 04:25 AM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Toad - 01-11-2014, 09:46 AM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Wisp - 01-11-2014, 10:46 PM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Wisp - 02-12-2014, 09:58 PM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Toad - 02-18-2014, 09:56 AM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Nutz - 03-12-2014, 03:03 AM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Nutz - 03-12-2014, 11:52 AM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Louise - 09-20-2014, 09:52 PM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Louise - 09-21-2014, 08:38 AM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Louise - 09-22-2014, 02:41 PM
RE: A passionate and impulsive woman. - by Louise - 10-31-2014, 09:00 AM