What happened to Sheldon's IQ?
Part 2:

Her Drama Is Too Real For The Show
Let's be honest, The Big Bang Theory isn't exactly trying to be Shakespeare. It's not even trying to be Seinfeld. It's a simple show with a simple premise and simple characters. It's like fast food entertainment. Occasionally, the show will have to deal with something serious, like the death of a cast member, but for the most part it's light entertainment. This is Penny's biggest problem, because she's been dealing with drama way too serious for this show. Before marrying Leonard, the man she loves, she finds out that he's cheated on her. She finds this out immediately before the wedding. So, while Stuart is arguing with Bernadette about whether or not they can afford a custom lightsaber, she's dealing with some heavy, emotional stuff. She's not a wacky enough character to be able to make this sort of drama fit the show. Instead, she's just bringing everybody down with her real world issues. This isn't the sort of problem that can be solved with a match of Halo, which means it doesn't belong on this show

She And Sheldon Can't Be Friends
The funniest part of Big Bang Theory has always been the odd relationship between Penny and Sheldon. They've tried to get along, but they're also openly hostile to one another. Sheldon often openly calls Penny stupid, and she calls out his eccentricities. The comedy comes from watching Sheldon have this person come into his life and ruin his routines. He doesn't particularly want her around, but his 'friends' keep inviting her. Now, they're friends, so who cares about that? They genuinely care about one another, which makes for terrible comedy. Who wants to watch a show about people getting along? The thing is, Sheldon is still weird and needy. Penny's the one that changed, and it's awful. Now, she and Sheldon have a 'cute' relationship. Cute is the enemy of funny.

Nerds Are Cool Now
Has Penny completely missed the last couple of years where geek culture has become cool? Not only that, she's too old to still think smart people are dorks. She's in her thirties, and these guys are all successful scientists. The so-called geeks of the show are actually the opposite of losers. Penny still treats these guys like it's the mid '90s, and she needs to stop. She's just embarrassing herself. She just comes across as shallow and lame. She lives in a world where the debut of the new Star Wars trailer and ticket presale almost crashed the Internet. So, stop pretending that you don't know what a Wookiee is, Penny! If you really don't know, then you're the weird one.

Well I do absolutely not agree with all points of this article.
For example that Penny was no someone special. It is true that there were many female characters (Alicia, Ramona Nowitzki, Martha and Abby, Alex Jensen….)-played by beautiful actresses. But it was from the beginning fact that Penny would be the manifest female character-the leading lady- one of the fixed points of the show. Inside the universe of “TBBT” the guys have those reactions on her. Point. Also that her problems are too serious for the show would be a dumper for it. One of the fundamental incentives was the difference of understanding what problems are. The contrast of Pennys “normal” problems, and the nerdy ones of the buddies.
Other examples are that only Penny has changed (we all know that Sheldon has changed too) or that Penny and Sheldon could not be friends-or a couple Blush -to be funny.
What is right in my opinion are the points of her behavior to Leonard and her financial status. She found out he was cheating on her…..and married him anyway. That was one of my main-critics---concerning her obvious moral convictions when her character was introduced (the “I-phone” or “Underhill”-relationships). The Penny of the seasons one and two would gave Leonard a kick….what it make clear again how transformed she now is. Her financial status is manifest and she needs no help.  
When there is a section in this article in which I fully agree than it is the last one. That Penny ( Bernie/ Amy) do not know what a “Wookie” is, (or things like “Star Wars” or “The Lord of the Rings” in general) makes her appear very backwood-like. At the first season Sheldon tells her that inside the walls of “4A” she was the misfit. There it was funny. Today, after nine years, and this “little bit” nerdy influence it is……. Rolleyes   
However, I think that the “core” of this article (even if it seems a bit Penny – hostile) contains the truth, that it indeed realizes the essence of the great problem of the show in general.
“The changes.”
So, all in all, I agree with the statement, but with my own personal POV:
Not Miss Cuoco has ruined Penny, and Penny has not ruined “TBBT”. The producers and the writers ruined the character of Penny and damaged their own show in a massive way.  If there ever written a “Guide for showrunners and writers” with a chapter with the headline “How not to do it”, than this should include the hint “Look at Penny and Sheldon at TBBT.”

Greetings from Germany!

The following 1 user Likes Ratman77's post:
  • SpaceAnJL

Messages In This Thread
RE: What happened to Sheldon's IQ? - by devilbk - 02-06-2016, 12:09 AM
RE: What happened to Sheldon's IQ? - by Ratman77 - 02-10-2016, 11:01 AM
RE: What happened to Sheldon's IQ? - by Ratman77 - 02-13-2016, 12:55 PM
RE: What happened to Sheldon's IQ? - by Ratman77 - 02-13-2016, 12:59 PM