16.67%
1 16.67%
3 Dirty Socks
83.33%
5 83.33%
Total 6 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

SHAMY WARNING: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation
(12-18-2015, 09:58 AM)wellplayedpenny Wrote: As for the whole process of intimacy, I'm glad my life doesn't revolve around Sheldon bedding Amy because if it did I would have been horribly disappointed by the whole thing. The possibility of Sheldon wanting to have sex is supposed to be a big deal and, to be fair, Sheldon realizes that it's an important night for the both of them. But what has me sad is that he never said that he wanted sex. He said, "I'd like to show her how important she is," and he "decided to be physical with my girlfriend" but there was no ringing endorsement that this is something that he wanted to do. It might just be me, but I would be absolutely heartbroken and horrified if I knew my boyfriend was having sex with me just to show me how important I am to him. I want him to be in it because he's 'into' it. Anything else and it makes the whole encounter like a sacrifice than a moment of mutual joy.

Sheldon is worried that he will be overwhelmed and ruin the moment, but to be fair it's Amy's Moment more than his. Granted, Sheldon is placing his own discomfort with physical contact aside so he can be with her is important, but Amy doesn't seem to get how hard this is for him. She bikini waxes and puts candles everywhere and slides over to him on the couch to plant a kiss and get the ball rolling instead of following Sheldon's lead to first go to a restaurant and have a walk. I mean, just pretend for a moment that you care about your boyfriend's mental wellbeing instead of jumping into bed to get your rocks off.

Instead what we get is the biggest understatement in the show's history as Amy says, "I've been waiting for this for so long, I've kind of built it up in my head." Given that bedding Sheldon has been her sole reason for existing as a character since season six I suppose there should be some sort of anticipation.

And yet when the big moment arrives, like almost every Sheldon and Amy moment of intimacy and connection, what happens next occurs off-camera. Their fans have waited four and a half years for a bunch of words on a screen to tell them that Sheldon and Amy had sex. Forget the cigarette, that's not even worth a Nicorette gum.

At the end of it all, Sheldon is surprised that he enjoyed that a lot more than he thought he would, but that kind of endorsement is rather amorphous as he could have thought intercourse with Amy was akin to sticking his penis inside a Sarlacc pit of bacteria. Regardless, it still doesn't motivate him enough to plan future sex any earlier than Amy's next birthday.

Finally got on here! 

The part in bold is what really sums up my feelings about the Shamy sex. I didn't really mind Sheldon in this episode, because he did show more empathy than he had in the past when he decided to forego watching Star Wars in lieu of spending time with Amy. Let's face it, as a Shenny shipper, if he had been with Penny and Penny's birthday fell on something important, I would want him to do the same thing. So I did not mind Sheldon choosing Amy over Star Wars because it was her birthday (and I believe he did eventually see the movie). I didn't even mind Sheldon offering up sex as a birthday present. But I totally agree that it did not come off as anything that he truly wanted for himself. 

Amy really bothered me because unlike Sheldon, who was totally putting Amy first for her birthday, she really did not demonstrate any sort of empathy or acknowledgement over the fact that Sheldon had been working on his intimacy issues. She wanted to get right to the presents rather than work up to it with dinner so to speak.  

Plus, I thought it was interesting that post-coitus, Amy's chest was heaving up and down and she totally had bed head, while Sheldon looked stoic and not like he just had had a lot of sex.
The following 9 users Like Shellsyke's post:
  • Tuesday Pajamas, devilbk, CassandraElise, FlyingSolo, Gamma, wellplayedpenny, Ratman77, Jomi25, Nutz

Messages In This Thread
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Gamma - 12-16-2015, 10:55 AM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by A.D.A. - 12-18-2015, 02:14 PM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Shellsyke - 12-19-2015, 02:48 AM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Jomi25 - 12-21-2015, 03:48 AM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Jomi25 - 12-25-2015, 07:03 PM
RE: 9.11 The Opening Night Excitation - by Nutz - 12-27-2015, 10:12 AM