Comic Con 2014 – TPTB gather... and Wil
(08-20-2014, 02:36 PM)Idle Miscreant Wrote: "since this show's message is that comics and sci-fi are childish things which need to be left behind so that a person can grow up."

I know. This bothers the bejaysus out of me. That to grow up means to leave behind your passions, admit defeat, and focus all your attention on your partner.

The message of this show for me used to be that one could create an honourable and fascinating world amongst those of similar ilk based on a combination of fantasy, science and imagination. That to be an "outsider" was noble, provided you had faith in your own vision. Sheldon was the epitome of this obviously, but the others as well. Sheldon's been almost ritually humiliated and broken down over the last few years, his previous convictions inverted with no explanation or feasible justification, and now he's just a shambling, infantile wreck of an obtuse boyfriend. A version of any number of sulky man-children in Romcoms. He is no longer unique.
What's worse, people are CROWING over Sheldon's fracturing. They're delighted he's broken. Now he'll finally start acting like a "normal man" by which they mean "focus all his attention on Amy".
It's an utter disgrace.

Like you said with the tepid-ifying of Howard and the muting of his wardrobe, the characters are heading lethargically towards a beige event horizon...

Even Penny's new car is beige. Thanks Leonard.

"The message of this show for me used to be that one could create an honourable and fascinating world amongst those of similar ilk based on a combination of fantasy, science and imagination. That to be an "outsider" was noble, provided you had faith in your own vision."

That's a wonderful summary of what this show is/was/could-have-been. It resonates with me, too.

"What's worse, people are CROWING over Sheldon's fracturing. They're delighted he's broken. Now he'll finally start acting like a "normal man" by which they mean "focus all his attention on Amy".
It's an utter disgrace."

I read a great quote somewhere, and I wish I could find it again, but it was something like "alternative forms of happiness make people doubt their own decisions." That's why people resented Sheldon. It's the "crabs in a bucket" mentality, where people drag you down to their level. They want you to be just as miserable as they are.

"I know. This bothers the bejaysus out of me. That to grow up means to leave behind your passions, admit defeat, and focus all your attention on your partner."

CS Lewis: "“When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.”

"That to grow up means to leave behind your passions, admit defeat, and focus all your attention on your partner."

The key thing is, a person who would expect you to do that, is not a "partner" at all. A partner is someone who supports you, encourages you, and...y'know...*likes* you.

The relationships on this show fit so many of the items on an "abusive relationship" checklist...
The following 1 user Likes Louise's post:
  • Gamma

Messages In This Thread
RE: Comic Con 2014 – TPTB gather... and Wil - by Louise - 08-20-2014, 02:50 PM