Your Definitive "Jump The Shark" Moments
(01-19-2015, 02:56 PM)Louise Wrote: Not exactly a JTS moment, just a rant:

I do not like "The Vengeance Formulation", despite the wacky sight-gags of Howard in a bubblebath with celebrities. I just **do not like*** the H/B relationship in any way, shape, or form. I'm well aware that the S3 version of this relationship was less objectionable than the current version, but I...just...don't...like..it. Am I open to seeing Howard do something besides being quippy and flirty? Sure. But this ain't it. Additional characters just hold absolutely zero appeal for me.

"Howard has issues with women, therefore his character-development should come via his relationship with a woman" is too pat, too obvious. All three (four?) guys have issues with women; Howard just talks about it more.

I wouldn't have minded some more Howard-Leslie interaction; that was kind of intriguing, even though it didn't turn out well for him. It's not high on my wish list, but I wouldn't have minded it.

MR is just so cartoony that she seems like she's been Photoshopped into the scene, to me. I just can't take her seriously on any level. As a catalyst for change, she's awfully hollow.

This is why I'm pretty hardcore about only considering S1 and S2 to be truly "vintage." There are prob. 4 or 5 episodes from S3 that I would care to re-watch. I think there's some questionable stuff in that season, even aside from the introduction of A and B..

I think Howard's pursuit of the opposite sex was the fun part. It's the art of the pursuit and once that is over many times the character and show suffers. The characters and show becomes the Ship with very new challenges to strive for. If you are going to add Ship, you need to add problems and the Ship has to end and end in a real way and not the way Ships end on this show. Hope this makes sense?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your Definitive "Jump The Shark" Moments - by Trust No One - 01-20-2015, 04:08 AM