Why Are 23.4 Million People Watching The Big Bang Theory
(05-07-2014, 01:41 AM)SpaceAnJL Wrote: I have a slight issue with that idea of poking fun at people - so, if they don't have an official diagnosis, it is perfectly okay to goad them into some kind of public breakdown for others to laugh at? It's a little too akin to paying money to watch the loonies in Bedlam for my tastes.

Problem is, you are dealing with the psychology of a mob. And that works differently to the individual. It will react in accordance with the will of the majority, and descend to the simplest level of stimulus-response. The more people are involved, the more basic the entity. Subtlety is not required, everything has to be broad strokes and simple concepts. And thus, it becomes easier to steer and influence. You can't reason with it, but you can entice it with bread and circuses.

I had a problem with that as well. They know this guy has some psychological problems but by saying we decided that he wouldn't have an official diagnosis, since that wouldn't be as funny, Just smacks of trying to have you cake and eat it too. Are we really supposed to believe that Mary never took him in for a diagnosis, especially after hearing Sheldon himself say over and over again "that he's not crazy, his mother had him tested". Where would she have gone to get psychological test that declared him "not crazy" but didn't catch what any other issues, Bubba's Tackle, Tire, and Psychological Center? Seriously, I hate that most of Hollywood thinks the audience needs things constantly dumbed down "to get it"
“There are no scenes more fun to do, I feel like, than the ones between Sheldon and Penny. They are such a wonderful odd couple.” - Jim Parsons
The following 1 user Likes Nutz's post:
  • Wisp

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why Are 23.4 Million People Watching The Big Bang Theory - by Nutz - 05-07-2014, 05:22 PM