Shenny HQ
Young Sheldon Eps 1-4 - Printable Version

+- Shenny HQ (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir)
+-- Forum: Everything else (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Forum: Young Sheldon (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=44)
+--- Thread: Young Sheldon Eps 1-4 (/showthread.php?tid=633)

Pages: 1 2 3

Young Sheldon Eps 1-4 - Tuesday Pajamas - 08-31-2017

I'll be posting a thread every few episodes if anyone wants to comment on this show.

Titles are:

1.01 - Pilot (Sep 25, 2017)

1.02 Rockets, Communist, and the Dewey Decimal System (Nov 02, 2017)

1.03 Poker, Face, and Eggs (Nov 09, 2017)

1.04 A Therapist, a Comic Book, and a Breakfast Sausage (Nov 16, 2017)

RE: Young Sheldon Eps 1-4 - Tuesday Pajamas - 08-31-2017

Thought provoking article in the New York Times.

[Image: 10YOUNGSHELDON4-master675.jpg]

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/31/arts/television/young-sheldon-the-big-bang-theory-spinoff-cbs.html

Oh dear, Soft Kitty?

[Image: 10YOUNGSHELDON5-master675.jpg]

RE: Young Sheldon Eps 1-4 - Tuesday Pajamas - 09-07-2017

Fans are not impressed with the promos for the prequel? Check them out on the link below...

https://www.her.ie/entertainment/trailer-big-bang-theory-prequel-disappoints-fans-362989

[Image: external.jpeg]

RE: Young Sheldon Eps 1-4 - Nutz - 09-08-2017

Why would they be? The show they're promoting is the Wonder Years with jokes. It looks nothing like the family Sheldon talked about on the show and you already had the showrunner admitting that it's not really Sheldon since a 9 year old acting like Sheldon would be in his words "unlikeable" (i.e. problematic for the writers to write easy, cheap jokes for). The only real question I have for this show is how quickly they decide to cancel it. Maybe we should start a pool.

RE: Young Sheldon Eps 1-4 - ricardo shillyshally - 09-08-2018

Hi everyone, (a few caveats> I stopped watching TBBT about season 6, and haven't read much about this show). I read the other day that TBBT was finishing and that Young Sheldon was all that might be left, so I thought I'd check it out. I enjoyed it. It's like Lorre and Molaro have set themselves a challenge, to reverse engineer Sheldon Cooper.

Here's my take(pilot, ep2&3). Tuesday Pajamas is right about the aspects of TBBT that we don't have to endure in later seasons. I'm sure you all would have been happier if they had contrasted early Penny's life (I'm surprised they didn't think of that!). But as it is it's a sweet nostalgia programme that also looks at some weighty issues(for a comedy series).

I imagine America is going through some sort of identity crisis at the moment, so I imagine that many will see this version of America and Texas as reassuring. It also shows us all about his family life; his relationship with his mother and father(sweet when he holds George's hand), but also Missy who is sassy and funny.

Some clever issues; contrasting the ideas given to children with the reality of adult's lives(poker bluff and who to trust), immigration and Vietnam war through Tam's perspective, challenging a preacher in church, even life and death(George's Heart attack).  

I think with the way the world appears at present, this is a refreshing show, so I'll keep watching.(plus I'm a Sheldon obsessive, and Jim is narrating)

RE: Young Sheldon Eps 1-4 - ricardo shillyshally - 09-10-2018

Okay I watched another two episodes. I was a bit worried that they were forcing incidents into young Sheldon's life, to match his later obsessions. I'm taking this as a stand alone series, because I can't remember what Sheldon said about his home life(apart from a sort of 'god fearing Texan hell'). Also memories are fluid and subjective.

Young Sheldon pretty much runs the family, and sorts out their finances and taxes. His mother merely 'manages' him.

He also showed that when need be he could over ride his anxieties by mental control. After chocking on a sausage he refuses solid food for six weeks until a candy stick tempts him. He also points out that tv programmes are only of value if you feel like you're learning something. I think that was part of the success of early BB seasons. Even if it's just learning about relationships, interactions, or sending me off to research some obscure scientist or philosopher or theory.

In the last ep I watched, Sheldon becomes the most popular person in his school and home, after they all discover his maths abilities based on statistical analysis can greatly improve their lives. Nice cameo from Ray Liotta.

RE: Young Sheldon Eps 1-4 - ricardo shillyshally - 09-18-2018

I'm enjoying this, it is as CL calls it, 'a sanctuary'. 'I want my work to be a sanctuary, a safe place where we come together. Each half hour should offer a brief, hopefully humorous, respite from divisive and inflammatory rhetoric'.(#576)

I would say that Sheldon's anxieties mostly stem from knowing too much. So for example if you study organic chemistry early on, it gives you a molecular level understanding of how viruses and bacteria are the enemy. Sheldon didn't want to be popular, because of all the touching. He even ends up in detention and gets suspended because of his fear of germs. I like the way they play with the retrospective time line; contrasting what we know now with what was thought in 1989.

Also Sheldon states one of the mantras of this site, just because everyone believes something to be true, doesn't mean it is, ie: think for yourself!

RE: Young Sheldon Eps 1-4 - ricardo shillyshally - 09-21-2018

I hope season 2 gets here soon, I'm running out of episodes. Sheldon's gran(or meemaw) is an interesting character; loving, alcoholic,country and western loving, gambler in debt to the mob. Here Jim and Iain talk about working together.

RE: Young Sheldon Eps 1-4 - ricardo shillyshally - 09-23-2018

Episode 16. Sheldon is the school rebel, he drops science and takes up acting. And the first actor he studies is Buster Keaton. This scene reminds me of the Shawshank Redemption.

RE: Young Sheldon Eps 1-4 - Nutz - 09-26-2018

I have a love/hate relationship with Young Sheldon. There are some really funny moments and I completely adore Meemaw (she's basically vintage Penny in 20 years), but as much as I love some of the show the rest is just a retcon for older Sheldon like

1. Every time his father offers up wisdom that the older Sheldon says he remembers as some of the best he's ever gotten which just makes me mad since the only thing his father taught him according to BBT is how to shoot and to knock three times giving his father and his latest woman a chance to put on their clothes.

2. Every time they use his father coming to his defense and saving the day or kicking ass to get his son recognized as a genius (because see above). This should be the role of Meemaw according to BBT

3. Coming up with stupid plots to "explain" why he acts like he does. Example: In episode 1.15 "Dolomite, Apple Slices, and a Mystery Woman" Sheldon and Tam befriend Libby, an 11th-grade girl with an interest in geology and Sheldon connects with her greatly. However, Sheldon is devastated to learn that Libby thinks of him as a child during her talk with Mary so Sheldon stops talking to Libby and decides geology as "not a science" but just a hobby.

4. In last nights episode 2.1 "A High-Pitched Buzz and Training Wheels" Sheldon dismantles the refrigerator to stop an annoying hum, but apparently his eidetic memory doesn't work to put it back together. Which then set up another "touching moment and learning moment with his father.