Shenny HQ
Sheldon Cooper and Aspergers - Printable Version

+- Shenny HQ (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir)
+-- Forum: The Big Bang Theory (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Weekly Email Blast (https://shennyhq.co.uk/dir/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: Sheldon Cooper and Aspergers (/showthread.php?tid=603)

Sheldon Cooper and Aspergers - Tuesday Pajamas - 03-06-2017

What do you guys think? Given that you are the truest Sheldon fans. Those who loves him prior to the dumbing down for Amy.

Is Sheldon aspergers? It's my belief that the show can not label him because it then means they'd have to be more respectful, like the show Community was with their (unspoken) Aspergers character, Abed. The real reason the producers are "reluctant" to label Sheldon Cooper with Aspergers is the appalling way they portray the character. They can deny it all they like but the WORLD has already labeled him. This show is shaping opinions about Aspergers whether they like it or not.

This article is an example of the distrubing results....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-39128918

Sheldon used to be a positive protrayal of someone who was atypical, the show treated him with respect when Prady was showrunner. I hate that no one is speaking out against the immature, negative protrayal which the last 4 seasons promotes. I think this show will one day be condemned. the legacy of TBBT will be shame and bullying towards the Aspergers and asexual community. It might take 10 years, it might take 20 but i hope one day they look at the outcome of BBT. It won't be pretty.

RE: Sheldon Cooper and Aspergers - QueenOfShebaSays - 03-06-2017

Okay this is what I think, when they first created Sheldon, they had someone with Aspergers in mind. Jim Parsons himself even admitted once when asked that he could see that. What I think what happened was that tptb had Sheldon being made fun a lot, he was picked on, the butt of all jokes and etc etc. they were also making fun of him bc he was particular about things. When fans and others started to question if Sheldon had it, they decided to simply make him crazy... maybe OCD. But they dropped that part of him quick because his treatment on the show wasn't the best and tbh I'm glad bc they clearly don't know how to write for that on a sensitive level.

It seems that tv shows are reluctant to add certain labels to well known characters... that would mean admitting that they had styled the character after people effected with such things. I don't watch all shows but another example if Criminal Minds with Reid being very similar to Sheldon, only he isn't played for laughs. But even those writers won't admit what he has or even say it. The closest we got was an episode where Reid dealt with a man who had autism and he knew what to do. Later another character teased him asking if he knew so much because he has it. Reid was confused and she ended up apologizing for the assumption. He said it was okay but they sort of dropped it.

All I know is that Sheldon possibly was once someone with Aspergers but he isn't anymore...

And no tv show should be used as any sort of training for anything involving a living beings lives... I wouldn't use the walking dead as an example of how to survive an apocalypse. People shouldn't use a tv show to know how to handle people with different abilities.

RE: Sheldon Cooper and Aspergers - Tuesday Pajamas - 03-06-2017

The climax of a plot where they try to hook Abed up with a girl by changing him, and she ends up having a boyfriend. He goes along with it for them... because he thinks it will help his friends.

Bit of a constrast but id rather have people referencing Abed than Sheldon. Angel

Or Sheldon Season 1-3. When he was a GOD!!!! Big Grin

RE: Sheldon Cooper and Aspergers - QueenOfShebaSays - 03-06-2017

Dr. Spencer Reid is someone who should be looked at as well.

(03-06-2017, 06:22 AM)QueenOfShebaSays Wrote: Okay this is what I think, when they first created Sheldon, they had someone with Aspergers in mind. Jim Parsons himself even admitted once when asked that he could see that. What I think what happened was that tptb had Sheldon being made fun a lot, he was picked on, the butt of all jokes and etc etc. they were also making fun of him bc he was particular about things. When fans and others started to question if Sheldon had it, they decided to simply make him crazy... maybe OCD. But they dropped that part of him quick because his treatment on the show wasn't the best and tbh I'm glad bc they clearly don't know how to write for that on a sensitive level.

It seems that tv shows are reluctant to add certain labels to well known characters... that would mean admitting that they had styled the character after people effected with such things. I don't watch all shows but another example if Criminal Minds with Reid being very similar to Sheldon, only he isn't played for laughs. But even those writers won't admit what he has or even say it. The closest we got was an episode where Reid dealt with a man who had autism and he knew what to do. Later another character teased him asking if he knew so much because he has it. Reid was confused and she ended up apologizing for the assumption. He said it was okay but they sort of dropped it.

All I know is that Sheldon possibly was once someone with Aspergers but he isn't anymore...  

And no tv show should be used as any sort of training for anything involving a living beings lives... I wouldn't use the walking dead as an example of how to survive an apocalypse. People shouldn't use a tv show to know how to handle people with different abilities.

I agree and Sheldon being used as an example to train people is utterly appalling but highlights that this is what people believe, even professionals. Shock Shock Shock They have failed to transform Sheldon into an annoying narcissist because everyone would hate him and that would counterproductive. People want Sheldon to be Aspergers because its likeable and gives him an 'out' to some of his behaviour. If they cut this thread they destroy him. In my mind he is Aspergers and proud. He's also Shamy-free but hey, who'd have a girlfriend who drugged you and told you she was the best you'd ever get? Hideous!

RE: Sheldon Cooper and Aspergers - Nutz - 03-06-2017

No matter what TPTB say, Jim is not only on record that he could see Sheldon having Asperger's, but he researched it and added things he found out to the character. Jim is also on record of saying he was "confused" when TPTB came to him and asked him to act more like himself instead of the character he created.

People who aren't sympathetic to Asperger's because of the current Sheldon are completely missing the point, because Sheldon in seasons 5-10 has been changed so much he is no longer the Sheldon that Jim created from researching Asperger's. All the original things that made people think Sheldon had Asperger's in seasons 1-4 (The laugh, Inability to Deceive, Triple knock, Romantic disinterest, Tics, Factoids, Routines, the comic book concept of "paybacks" and Phobias have all been tossed in the bin or retconned to be completely unrecognizable. (Since when does someone afraid of germs save unsanitary things, like toothbrushes since he was a child and leave clothes in a storage unit collecting dust mites and mold?)

Sheldon "Asperger's" in seasons 1-4 (even if it's not mentioned on the show) made Sheldon a sympathetic character. He was someone you could root for, even when he was acting like a jerk, because he wasn't acting that way to be manipulative or malicious, he just didn't understand what he was doing was wrong. Now he's just mean, stupid and childish.

I somewhat agree and I've added that option to the poll. i just wonder how BB will go down in history. I know the show has two more years but I don't see a heck of a lot happening in the style of the show now. Except more Amy in the forefront.